Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Handgun Hunting in The Great White North #33559 08/19/2008 4:34 AM
Pasco Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Has anyone on this site (U.S. citizen) been handgun hunting in Alberta Canada? While doing some quick preliminary research on Moose hunting guides/outfitters I came accross a link for a handgun permit application, but couldn't find it again.

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: Handgun Hunting in The Great White North [Re: Pasco] #33561 08/19/2008 4:39 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I was under the impression that handguns were not allowed up there. I could be wrong though.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Handgun Hunting in The Great White North [Re: pab1] #33562 08/19/2008 4:46 AM
dertiedawg Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, I was under the impression that they have extremely tough gun control.

Scoped Satin Stainless 7.5in Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag. 50 Cal CVA Optima Black Powder Pistol
Re: Handgun Hunting in The Great White North [Re: Pasco] #33565 08/19/2008 4:59 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
To the best of my knowledge & from what I've heard from others that have desired to do the same thing, it's not do-able for a "foreigner", & I'm not even sure it's possible for a resident.
Looks like you'll have to spend your money in Alaska!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Handgun Hunting in The Great White North [Re: Vance in AK.] #33573 08/19/2008 10:17 AM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
I looked into it some time ago. Everything I read stated that handguns were illegal for hunting in Canada. Big pity because there's some real nice country and plenty of game. An email to any of the outfitters or hunting associations should be able to confirm the current situation. (Last time I was there they were having a federal election which the pro-gun party won.)

Re: Handgun Hunting in The Great White North [Re: Pasco] #33583 08/19/2008 12:56 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
You can forget that idea and move your sights a little to the west, Alaska. Same game, much better hospitality for the handgunner.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Handgun Hunting in The Great White North [Re: s4s4u] #33622 08/19/2008 10:54 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
For any Fred Bear fans out there, Robert Munger wrote about Fred bringing a handgun into Canada in his book Trailing A Bear. The basic story was that in 1962, Fred was going on a bow hunt for grizzly in British Columbia. At customs, when asked if he had any firearms, he told the official that he had a .44 revolver. He was told it was illegal to carry a revolver in any province of Canada. Fred then produced a permit that had been issued to him by the Canadian government years before, allowing him to carry a handgun while bowhunting for protection. The supervisors were called out, but none of the officials had ever seen a handgun permit before. Not even resident hunting guides could get permits to carry handguns then. Eventually they let Fred through with his gun.

Re: Handgun Hunting in The Great White North [Re: pab1] #33675 08/20/2008 5:48 AM
Pasco Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I'm actually going to hunt Black Bear out of Petersburg Alaska next May. My hunting partner has family in Alberta and has his heart set on this hunt. When I get back from my Antelope hunt I'll dedicate some internet time to research it. I even thought of putting a buttstock on my T.C. and pack the Pachmayrs with the underwear and make the switch out in the field.

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: Handgun Hunting in The Great White North [Re: Pasco] #33676 08/20/2008 6:26 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Pasco
I'm actually going to hunt Black Bear out of Petersburg Alaska next May. My hunting partner has family in Alberta and has his heart set on this hunt. When I get back from my Antelope hunt I'll dedicate some internet time to research it. I even thought of putting a buttstock on my T.C. and pack the Pachmayrs with the underwear and make the switch out in the field.

I believe all non-resident aliens have to hire a guide to hunt in Canada. IMO its not worth violating their laws to hunt with a handgun. I would do this hunt with the Encore rifle set-up.

Re: Handgun Hunting in The Great White North [Re: pab1] #33708 08/20/2008 4:22 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
It's illegal to hunt with a handgun in Canada. I used to be a cop up in one of the border towns and we couldn't even carry a gun if we had to go into Canada for some reason. It will get you thrown in prison if you are caught carrying a handgun there. The laws are so stricked that if you own one you can only take it to the range and back if you stop along the way you can get arrested for it. I guess they are afraid someone might steal it while your in a store. We used to store guns at the police dept. for people that wanted to go into Canada but it got to be so aften we stopped doing it. Some people would sell thier handguns because they wanted to go to Canada so bad. Of course everytime that happened to me I didn't have the cash on me to do it. bummer, missed out on some good deals.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod