Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What type of hunter are you? #33963 08/23/2008 11:06 PM
Jeremy Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Over the years I have noticed a certain type of hunter that will just about shoot anything that walks. Little ones with spots, button top bucks, even biddy piggys. I'm sure you guys have came across the trigger happy hunter that gets stoopafied when he sees something walking on 4 legs!

Judging by the gallery pics, I can tell that most on here are trophy hunters. Or at least respectful hunters. In my area it is mostly Whitetails. I have let bucks go for 3-4 years before taking them. Proof is on the wall!

About two years ago a couple of guys hunting near me had blasted a group of young does. I went to see what they had shot and each deer could have been carried in one hand! I got a little bent but, to each his own I guess. It's just not my style! I shoot to get the most out of them.

So the big question is, what type of hunter are you? Will you let them walk or are you taking them down?

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Jeremy] #33966 08/23/2008 11:16 PM
TCUMan Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Let them walk and wait till they are bigger, but i'll also shoot a big doe or a few big does when needed.

.257JDJ, 6.5JDJ, 6TC/U, 7TC/U, and soon to be,
6.5-284, 7 Sundance MOA.
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Jeremy] #33967 08/23/2008 11:20 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
depends on what i feel like at the time, n i've done both. if i just want some meat, i'd 10 times rather have the smallest doe i can find. plus killin a few does is good if the population supports it, and it has here for quite a few yrs now.

i've killed some button bucks by mistake as a doe, n i usually hate that....fer a minute er two.

they are all a trophy with a handgun imo. big horns are cool, but horn soup ain't got much flavor

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: KYODE] #33968 08/23/2008 11:24 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I love deer meat and we've got plenty so I shoot what I want. We've got 7 months of deer season here... In many parts of VA you can't kill enough of them.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: KYODE] #33969 08/23/2008 11:25 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I have shot some nice bucks (Whitetail & Antelope), but I have also shot a number of does, were populations were to high.
Management is important to me, so I have no problem shooting a doe. Antlers don't make the meat taste better. With elk I typically hunt cows-They sure eat good.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: KYODE] #33970 08/23/2008 11:33 PM
dorson Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Howdy,
Around here many of the people that have the hunting rights to big timbers will manage herds for big bucks.Which means thin out does and whatever they consider substandard.Personally,I would rather eat a small corn fed doe.I dont have anything against people hunting for big racks or whatever,but I dont have any need for the trophys,so unless IT was some super giant racked buck that would contend the world record and could be sold for a hefty sum,I would probably rather shoot a nice corn fed doe.And I am sure that if you talked to the landowners that manage the deer on their property,you could gain access to many properties if you agree to use your tags on Does.Not to say that I dont get all excited looking at a big rack or a big fish,but just a successful harvest of whatever game is a pretty sweet trophy/memory in itself.
I might add that a few years ago I T boned a whitetail on my old bmw motorcycle,I somehow stayed upright ,i also have hit several with my trucks ,they are too thick around here,so I dont get shook about thinning them down.I used to see 5 to 10 fresh roadkill deer everyday when I drove 50 miles each way to work.
dorson

Last edited by dorson; 08/23/2008 11:45 PM.
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Jeremy] #33971 08/23/2008 11:59 PM
drwalker70 Offline
stranger
stranger
We let little bucks grow up a bit, but we shoot as many does as we are allowed.

Man Alive!
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: drwalker70] #33974 08/24/2008 12:25 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I will let the button bucks and small does walk. We usually get 1 or 2 anterless tags for the season. I try and fill them with big does.

Funny thing happened a few years ago. I shot a huge doe at about 70 yards. When I got to the deer it was a large buck with both antlers broken off within an inch of his skull. He had some good gashes on his face and neck. He must have been a real scrapper. I could still tag him as an anterless deer and save my buck tag, as the rules state the antlers have to be 3" or longer.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Tigger] #33976 08/24/2008 12:40 AM
lhunter03 Offline
addict
addict
Antlers don't make it a trophy!!!! It's what you get out of the hunt that matter's. So if a big rack makes you happy or a little tender tasting doe. We all hunt and we all have our own opinions, but getting mad about what someone shoots because its not what you'd do isn't the right atitude to have. Say, hey nice doe ,or thats a good little buck. Hunting is supposed to bring us togather. My brother has the same idea about harvisting big bucks. He has several in the books and I love to hunt with him. But I enjoy hunting and harvisting any animal no matter how big or small. Cause I'm just having fun . It's just not that big a deal to me.

Lars

Lars

.357 maxi, .375 win, 30-30 ackley, .450 marlin, and anything else that goes boom!!!
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Tigger] #33977 08/24/2008 12:42 AM
Hawkeye Offline
old hand
old hand
I take at least three does a year. I hunt for bucks just to extend my time in the field but when the end of a certain season comes to the end, I take a doe if available. I always give my sister a doe. She had both knees replaced and a back operation and just don't get out to hunt like she used to but still likes the venison.
I take one doe to my elderly neighbor that used to hunt with me but can't do to health problems.
I put one in the freezer myself. I have many places that land owners let me hunt with my pistols and stick bows when I agree to take does only. It is also a good way to test loads.
with 6 available tags in Oklahoma and 2 tags in Kansas I never have a shortage of venison. Kansas is archery only for my tags I draw and hunting with stickbows makes it even more enteresting.
We do let the small, 4,6,8 point bucks walk in KS and sometimes in Oklahoma. Antlers don't cook up to well.
Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Hawkeye] #33979 08/24/2008 12:48 AM
Jeremy Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Oh don't get me wrong, I love to fill the freezer with the does! I guess what I was leaning towards was the baby ones. I am a meat hunter so does are a plus in my book! I am very selective on the bucks though. I like to get a nice buck, at least 1 a year. That is "hunt" the buck. Shootn is the fun part!!

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Jeremy] #33986 08/24/2008 1:20 AM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
We don't get to shoot more then 1 buck during general season and 1 doe/antlerless(spikes are antlerless in Oregon) deer by controlled hunt. Black tails are hard to hunt and if you don't take the first one you see then more then likely you won't see another. For antlerless I shoot what ever I see as long as it doesnt' have spots. (illegal to shot spotted fawns) If I have a choice I would take a large doe over a small spike.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: lhunter03] #33987 08/24/2008 1:21 AM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: lhunter03
Antlers don't make it a trophy!!!! It's what you get out of the hunt that matter's. So if a big rack makes you happy or a little tender tasting doe. We all hunt and we all have our own opinions, but getting mad about what someone shoots because its not what you'd do isn't the right atitude to have. Say, hey nice doe ,or thats a good little buck. Hunting is supposed to bring us togather. My brother has the same idea about harvisting big bucks. He has several in the books and I love to hunt with him. But I enjoy hunting and harvisting any animal no matter how big or small. Cause I'm just having fun . It's just not that big a deal to me.

I agree 100%. I'm not out to shoot fawns (and I try hard not to), but a legal deer is a legal deer and there are plenty that need thinning out some. Limit in MD is 12 deer per weapon per year (36 total) so we have a bit of a problem. Some does gotta go.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Jeremy] #33991 08/24/2008 2:27 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I think Kyode nailed it when he said it depends on how you feel at the time. I appreciate large antlers, but I'm not a trophy hunter. I have hunted elk for years with longbows and recurves but it has not come together for me (yet). I can't begin to guess the number of miles in steep wilderness areas I have covered chasing them. While I have been fortunate enough to take a very nice 6X6 bull elk with a muzzleloader, I think I would feel more of a sense of accomplishment to take a cow elk with traditional archery gear.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: pab1] #33994 08/24/2008 2:42 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I agree on the comment with KYODE!

I have been on deer leases were if you see a buck you shoot it. On my grandparents place you don’t even think about it unless it is a 10 or better. On public hunting land I have a tendency to shoot legal game.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Hawkeye] #33996 08/24/2008 3:57 AM
dertiedawg Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I hunt for the freezer, but if a buck and a doe pop up and there is a choice, I take the buck. I am hunting on public land in the GA mountains which is not known for big trophies.

Scoped Satin Stainless 7.5in Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag. 50 Cal CVA Optima Black Powder Pistol
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: dertiedawg] #34000 08/24/2008 4:38 AM
RANGER RICK Offline
Like most before me I will take does when they need to be thinned out .
I met a guy yesterday in my town that had just taken a big cow moose .
Only a few tags are given each year .
I can smell moose burgers already !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I prefer to take huge bucks and bulls ...

RR

Home of the 500 Magnum Tyrannosaurus Thumpers .

Perfect practice makes perfect
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: RANGER RICK] #34002 08/24/2008 5:26 AM
Revolver Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
It all depends on the time, the animal, and how I feel. Theres alot of deer here in CA, and ALOT of people that will shoot the first legal animal that walks in front of them, so sometimes its rough to find a trophy animal when theres the severe hunting pressure on public land I hunt, and after not taking anything for awhile I might take something smaller than Im looking for. I prefer big antlers right now, because I want to get some animals mounted to put around my house, so Im going to try and hold out until I see something that would make me really proud of taking this season.
And on the other hand with some animals, If its something Ive never taken before, I usually get really excited and more inclined to shoot it, even if its just legal.

I have more guns than I need, but not nearly as many as I want...
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Revolver] #34004 08/24/2008 5:53 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Deer aren't an issue with me (not available locally) & the only antlered local aniamal readily available (without drawing a special permit) is moose. We can only hunt bulls (without drawing a special tag)& our regulations state that the bull has to be a spike or fork, or be over 50", or have 3 brow tines on one side. Anything in between is ileagle. So we can shoot little ones or big ones & not the tween ones. They also can't be a calf of the year even if they have little spikes. They have to be in the second year of life. That said, like Rick said, given a choice I'll kill a big one. BUT, legal bulls are rare enough that I'll take any legal bull & consider it a trophy since I hunt with either a handgun or traditional bow. If I kill a few that might change, but my primary goal is to fill the freezer.
I'm also waiting to take my 1st black bear (same weapons), & while I have no interest in shooting a cup (black bears in the second year of life are legal), I don't feel like I need to hold out for a 6 footer either. Again, get a few & that will probably change, but I like bear meat.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Vance in AK.] #34028 08/24/2008 5:50 PM
larry223 Offline
addict
addict
i hunt for two reasons i like my hunting buddys and i what to
put meat in the freezer so if a little one comes to close and
it does not have spots it fills a tag. i would like to shoot
a big record book buck but dont see that happening any time
soon and horn soup does not taste very good.
larry

tc,s 223 35rem 7-30 waters 6.5jdj 375
30/30ai 6mm/223 22lr
encores 7mm-08 308
redhawk 44mag.
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: larry223] #34036 08/24/2008 8:24 PM
ducks Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I hunt for conservation (of my farm, to keep the deer in check), meat, and horns in that order. I have shot my share of racked bucks but would rather shoot a doe and take it to a needy family and see there eyes light up when someone does something for them. Hogs on the other hand I just kill, doesn't matter if they are 4 or 4000lbs! They destroy our corn fields and run deer off so I will go out of my way to shoot a hog!

I think the main reason I hunt is for the memories of waking up after a long night around a fire with friends and enjoying what God put here for us to enjoy! I enjoy a good backstrap cooked on the grill just right with a cold drink in my hand while telling stories of past hunts. I have enjoyed being fortunate to grow up hunting with some of the best folks on this planet and hope someday my kids (which I have none yet!) will enjoy too!

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: ducks] #34044 08/24/2008 10:21 PM
gene r Offline
With a rifle we shoot 3 points on 1 side........

With a handgun, well thats another story. I use iron site on a Ruger 45lc BH and does with in 50 yards are for the freezer...

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: gene r] #34050 08/24/2008 10:52 PM
Flatwoods Offline
stranger
stranger
We, (my family) are meat hunters. I much rather take a doe and let the small bucks walk. On our Hunting Club we don't take a buck unless it is 90" B&C or larger (3 1/2 years old)but you can shoot every doe you see, if you want to clean it.We have plenty of flop ears running around in south GA, therefore putting meat in the freezer is no problem. My wife hunts on the family farm will pop a cap at any deer as long it does not have spots or a button buck. My son is 18 years old and he is not that choosie on the size of his deer. We usally will put 6 to 8 deer in our freezer and give sereral to my In-laws each year.

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Hawkeye] #34061 08/25/2008 12:41 AM
hunlee Offline
addict
addict
Hunlee have fathered many children in past year so now time for Hunlee to feed children!!!!!Hunlee will kill many deer and other animal to help feed children!!!!!Wife of Hunlee allso eat alot of food as wife weigh in at 285 pound!!!!Maybee time for Hunlee to go hunting!!!!

hunlee

Hunlee is friend to all,,,Is a lover not a fighter and has fathered many children!!!!
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: hunlee] #34082 08/25/2008 4:15 AM
popeanyoung Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
It's big antlers for me. I would never shoot a game animal that I wasn't going to eat or give to someone else to eat. However, I prefer to fill my house with big antlers and have proceeded to do so for some time now. I certainly have no problem shooting does, I usually shoot several after the rut has passed and give them to my dads old farmer friends that cant get out and hunt anymore. I guess I like to see everything reach its full potential and have to include deer in that. I know their are many areas of the country that have an overabundance of deer and need them thinned in order to reach a population in which the habitat can support. Different tactics are needed in these regions. But, I don't live in one of those areas. The deer are plentiful but not overpopulated (although the buck to doe ratio needs some attention) and most deer in my location if left until maturity reach true trophy status.

He who dies with most toys wins
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: popeanyoung] #34085 08/25/2008 4:31 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I know a lot of guys talk about wishing they lived in Alaska to hunt, but when I hear guys talking about being to kill multiple hogs, passing on little bucks because there are plenty of bucks, & filling plenty of doe tags to fill the freezer so they can wait for the buck of their dreams (and all basically in their back yard) I sure get envious at times!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Hawkeye] #34087 08/25/2008 4:32 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I'm a meat hunter and will generally shoot 2.5yr old and up bucks but we have some nice ones hanging on the wall too. This year I qualified for a disabled hunters permit which allows me either sex so if I see a healthy barren doe or a cow elk I'll take her.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Hawkeye] #34089 08/25/2008 6:58 AM
Crew Dawg Offline
I'm a meat hunter. I mean, if my Pitbull Buddy (60 pounds)is bigger than the deer or it has spots. I will let it walk. But to me, a full freezer is my reason for hunting. They aren't very big down here any way. I get a hog every other month or so. I by very few groceries and unless i just get a hankering for beef. I don't by any meat. I raise Chickens and Rabitts for meat and eggs. I have a pair of goats i just bought for milk. I got a taste for it while i was over seas. Really the only thing i by is the occasional pizza and beer. And every now an then i get a fru-fru coffee so i can flirt with the college girl at the counter. No, i am not a rack hunter but i don't blaze away t 40 pound deer either.

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Crew Dawg] #34098 08/25/2008 3:25 PM
aaronc53 Offline
stranger
stranger
When I gun hunt, I am out to fill the freezer. I shoot the first legal buck I see. When I bow hunt, I usually try to take a mature doe on the first day or two of season. Then, I start hunting for a nice buck. I don't have to have the biggest one in the woods. I just try to get one that is bigger than I already have. If the buck hunting doesn't work out, I'll use my second tag to take another doe at the end of season.

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: aaronc53] #34127 08/25/2008 8:36 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Spots!! Did someone mention spots?!?!

When I have the chance to go crop damage hunting w/ a good friend, we get specific instructions from the land owner...treat the deer like g-hogs...shoot everyone you see!! That specific area is absolutely flooded with deer. I'll typically bring home ten deer after three days of shooting...but also bag nearly another two dozen g-hogs in the process.

When deer season rolls around in PA, I am still a meat hunter...but go for two years and older does (usually have two tags) and the first legal buck...at least three points per side.

BTW...the above spotters were dropped with the same bullet at 378yds. That's the only reason we snapped a pic. Also have it on film video...pretty cool!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Dan B.] #34131 08/25/2008 9:08 PM
Jeremy Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Tender vittles Dan B, you can't go wrong with instructions from the landowner. Pretty shot too at 378yrds! What caliber is that you got there?

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Jeremy] #34132 08/25/2008 9:10 PM
Jeremy Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Never mind, I looked in your photos. Nice XP!!

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Jeremy] #34140 08/25/2008 10:54 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well I like to get meat in the freezer then I wait.Put some vittles on my table!After a few does usually done in the first couple of trips then I wait,plot,play hide and seek,sneak and so far lose.Big white-tails here are lucky,and smart.Never killed a true monster but all I have I am proud of.Tried to catch a piebald doe one time for 4 years,she was finally hit by a car,outsmarted again.But when it ain't fun I'll fish.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: cottonstalk] #34172 08/26/2008 2:08 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Definitely a nanny hunter - usually pass on the bucks unless they are destined for the taxidermist or a mercy killing.

Long seasons and target-rich environments allow ample opportunity to fill the freezer with delicious doe meat. Hoping to add to that next week! Bow opener Sept 1st...

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: SChunter] #34319 08/27/2008 3:55 PM
james66 Offline
stranger
stranger
I like to put meat in the freezer and we started to let the smaller bucks walk a couple of years ago on our property so not so many big bucks yet. here in new york not so good for trophies but corn fed does taste the best. we try not to shoot any with spots either so they can get to the second year before being sized up, it is tuff passing up shots but we are trying to let them grow a little .

originalwoodsman
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: james66] #34535 08/30/2008 6:35 PM
kritter Offline
For many years now, I've been working on taking the lesser bucks out of the genepool around our ranch. Also on lowering the number of does. There aren't many that hunt the local area, so the numbers have gotten way out of hand. Between the doe population and the poachers taking so many big racks,(and quite often leaving the meat to rot,) it's been quite a while since we had some decent bucks.
Last year we started seeing real results, way fewer spikes hanging around, and way beefier animals. Takes a while, but it is definitely worth the effort.
As a matter of fact we started seeing a buck with fourteen points, a-typical, admitted, but with an absolute massive body for texas deer, just a few weeks ago. Unfortunately he got hit by a car down on the highway, so I was never able to get any pics.
So, put me down for conservation first, and meat second, with trophies coming in dead last!

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: kritter] #34547 08/30/2008 11:22 PM
Jeremy Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Kritter, over the past few years I have practiced the same type of hunting and started seeing quite a few wallhangers around. Also I have ran across a few not so sporty hunters that would only take the backstraps and leave the rest to rot! 3-5 deer shot in a day! They even have a Hunters for the Hungry program here in VA. but I guess it was to much work for them. Dumb ass dog hunters!

Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Tigger] #34548 08/30/2008 11:36 PM
Rafe Covington Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I shoot a couple of big does to get meat in the freezer, I get real particular when buck hunting. I hunt to put meat in the freezer, I have fun and put food on the table. That works for me.

Harold

You can run but you die tired.
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: Rafe Covington] #34567 08/31/2008 5:41 AM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
In Nevada, the average is one buck tag every 2-3 years. It took me 8 years to draw a Antelope tag. I horn hunt the 1st 4-5 days, then shoot any legal buck after that. Doe tags are very few and only in select areas.

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: What type of hunter are you? [Re: larry223] #34570 08/31/2008 1:14 PM
Chief RID Offline
I am with larry223. I don't care much about the trophy stuff. I wish I had more use for antlers. Antler buttons is about all I can think of.

If a deer is legal it is down except for old rutting bucks. I am going to start laying off of them. The meat is not as good. The best deer to me is the one that cost me the least to process and the one I say "man that's good" in July when the meat is getting low.

I have found that getting a good doe or two processed to breakfast sausage and hamburger, early, allows me to process the small deer the rest of season, myself. I never thought I would like stew beef and roasts and steaks like I did last year. That is processing I can do in little extra time.

We skin and dress all our deer immediately and our small deer in SC will fit in a large cooler. If I have time to butcher on site I will do that too. It makes for some excellent eating. It is almost a different meat all together. I feel sorry for folks in the south that have never tasted a deer that was dresses immediately and cooled out. A deer that is not immediately cooled out here does not taste good at all.

Small deer make those chores much easier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod