Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ruger Super Redhawk woes... #34048 08/24/2008 10:47 PM
bigbore442001 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I went out to the range today with the Ruger SRH in 454 Casull and had to end it short. I put on a 2x Burris scope using the factory rings and found the scope to slip under the recoil of the shots. I noticed the scope sliding forwards under the recoil to the point where the eye peice was touching the rear sight blade. Soo. I had to quit my shooting session.

I was thinking that I need to put some type of tape in the scope rings to prevent this slippage.

One other thing I noticed was that the machined in scallops on the Super Redhawk frame had some marring where the semi-circle puts pressure on the frame. I thought to myself maybe a thin peice of lead or aluminum foil would lessen any frame marking.

Any input would be welcomed to my dilema, if I have a dilema.

Re: Ruger Super Redhawk woes... [Re: bigbore442001] #34055 08/25/2008 12:08 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I use adress labels like for the return adress on a letter they are tha same width as the rings and they also keep the scope from being scrached

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Ruger Super Redhawk woes... [Re: H2OBUG] #34066 08/25/2008 1:05 AM
dorson Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I am waiting on a piece ,but am getting ready to mount a scope on my SRH.I asked here last week at this forum and was told to mount the scope so the top turret rests against the front scope ring.And also use some electrical tape or a label like suggested above.
And that should make things stay in place.That is what I am going to try.
dorson

Re: Ruger Super Redhawk woes... [Re: H2OBUG] #34067 08/25/2008 1:07 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Try H20`s idea with the labels and also try to have the front of the scope adjustment turrent against the rear of the front ring.Sometimes this is not possible because of how the scope is manufactured, however, if you can set it up this way, when the gun recoils the scope will butt against the ring stopping any foward motion. I remember putting a 3-9X Burris on my FA`s 454
and having the scope move foward because of the recoil until the front of the scope slowly sheared off the adjustable front sight
blade.James
PS- H20, thats a really good idea about using the address labels
on the inside of your scope rings to stop slippage....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Ruger Super Redhawk woes... [Re: jamesfromjersey] #34069 08/25/2008 1:15 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
James my gunsmith here in LA showed me that and it seems to work great.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Ruger Super Redhawk woes... [Re: H2OBUG] #34070 08/25/2008 1:34 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
H20, If you have any more ideas please pass them on....thanks,
James

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Ruger Super Redhawk woes... [Re: bigbore442001] #34071 08/25/2008 1:54 AM
Gascheck Offline
Another good substance for anti slip in rings is rosin. I have used both powder type available in bags or shaker bottles and paste most commonly used in finger holes of bowling balls. Degrease the inside of the ring with alcohol then dust lightly with the powdered rosin. I've been using this technique on hard recoiling rifles and semi auto rifles, scoped shotguns, and mag pistols for many years.

Re: Ruger Super Redhawk woes... [Re: Gascheck] #34115 08/25/2008 6:42 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
The address lables work well.

Also having the turret housing come up against the front ring will work if the adjustment housing is made as part of the tube. If the adjustment housing is a seperate piece and you can see silicon around the tube to seal it then don't let the ring contact the housing.

Quote:
One other thing I noticed was that the machined in scallops on the Super Redhawk frame had some marring where the semi-circle puts pressure on the frame. I thought to myself maybe a thin peice of lead or aluminum foil would lessen any frame marking.

I have the same thing on my 480 SRH. I have tightened the rings a few times and they have stayed tight. This gun will stay scoped so the deformation can't really be seen.

I don't think aluminum or lead would work very well as they are soft and would let the rings loosen over time.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod