Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Don't want to get took . . . #34445 08/29/2008 4:42 AM
Score Guy Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, I've posted about how I fell in love with my S&W 460 XVR the minute I found it back in January, well last night in the same store and in the same case I found a S&W Model 29 44 Mag. Its some kind of anniversary edition marking the 50th year of this caliber, it comes with a presentation case and the factory blue case and accesories. Apparently some guy traded it in and it doesn't look like its had even a box full through it. I'm kind of drawn to special editions like this and the blueing and wood were beautiful. Since I've stated how I'd traded away my two 44 Mag Raging Bulls in the past, I'm thinking its time I acquired another 44 again. Maybe I'm being too supersticious but I think this one was waiting for me to find it. They're asking $900 for it but they already told me they'd come down a hundred bucks. Is this too much for this. I know all too well that the commemorative stuff doesn't make it any more special. I just don't get to enough places to know if this is a fair price or not?

B&C Assoc./Official Measurer
P&Y Assoc./Official Measurer
Re: Don't want to get took . . . [Re: Score Guy] #34446 08/29/2008 4:46 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
last time I looked you could buy a new 629 for less than 800.00 so I guess it depends on whether or not the used blue finished special edition is worth what you could by a new stainless gun for to you personally. I just checked my blue book but it's about 3 years old so I'm not seeing the special edition but original model 29's are listed at 450.00-550.00 in 100% condition.

Last edited by wapitirod; 08/29/2008 4:51 AM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Don't want to get took . . . [Re: wapitirod] #34448 08/29/2008 5:06 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have no idea of the "collector's va;ue" of the commerative, but to me it would be worth whatever a shooter would be worth. Early in my firearms addiction (20ish yrs old), I decided I wanted to collect Winchester commerative lever guns. I picked up 2 or 3, including a John Wayne & stuck them under the bed.... for awhile... Then I found out about this disease I have. I can't have guns laying around that I like & not shoot them!!! They all came out, all got shot, & all promptly lost a great deal of their "collectors" value. Since then I buy shooters!
So for me, it would be worth whatever a nice 29 or 629 z(if you like practical over pretty) would be worth. I think I've seen some S&W PC 44s in that range (used) like the light hunter.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Don't want to get took . . . [Re: wapitirod] #34450 08/29/2008 5:06 AM
Score Guy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Rod, there was a shiny stainless 44 in the same case. I think they had around $950 on it and it was new. I've never really looked real hard at them but it was a beautiful gun also. I want my collection to develop into something special that someday my stepson will inherit, so I'd like it to have a good representation of all the classics. I guess a stainless will have to be added into the mix sooner or later! The commemrative one has, I believe, a six inch barrel. As a hunter first and a collector second, I have to wonder, how does this gun/model fit into the ranks/history of handgun hunting in most peoples minds? I read from a lot of guys about how certain guns fit certain niches or jobs, does this one fall into any category?

Re: Don't want to get took . . . [Re: Score Guy] #34486 08/29/2008 10:04 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Here's a link to a 629 PC Light hunter for $895 in as new condition.
Hunterhttp://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=108150302
Unless the "shiny" one is something way out of normal & not a normal 629 or standard nickel 29 it seems awful steep.
I'd jump on the light hunter before either of those, but the light hunter has always been one of my "dream guns".
Any of the PC guns are "collectible" to an extent, but are very useful at the same time.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Don't want to get took . . . [Re: Vance in AK.] #34494 08/30/2008 12:15 AM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
Not sure how many were made, but these guns were made and sold in 2006 marking the 50th ann of the 44 Mag's birth in 1956. Don't think they were limited in the "collectable" sense as they were made and offered for sale that whole year. Who knows how many S&W cranked out that year. Not sure of the particulars of the stainless gun you saw for $950, but that seems way high for a run-of-the-mill 629. So the $900 for the ann gun may be a bit high as well, esp for a used (even lightly) model.

While certainly a servicable gun for handgun hunting, I don't think either will stand out in the annals of time as "special" or "monumental" in regards to it's impact on the sport.

And don't worry too much about the contents of the gun safe you wish to pass along someday. There may be a chance your stepson may not like it's contents and sell them all off. He may very well do just the opposite and cherish them all. My point is you should buy and shoot guns YOU like and let the other cards fall where they may. He will probably treasure the guns that he remembers you enjoying; whatever they are.

Bottom line, IMO, buy and shoot whatever guns YOU like at prices YOU think are fair and be happy. If you get the gun you like at the price you like, nothing else matters.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Don't want to get took . . . [Re: bisleyfan44] #34505 08/30/2008 4:23 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
as far as a niche for a 6" gun it would serve well as a side arm for backup or scope it with a 2 or 4x fixed power scope and you'll be good to a 100yds on deer. As far as a historical perspective the 29 was the original production 44 and of course Dirty Harry liked it but it is possible the 29 will never be made again but I think I'd rather have one of the older 29's from the 70's or 80's.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Don't want to get took . . . [Re: wapitirod] #34509 08/30/2008 5:45 AM
Score Guy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the help guys, very informative and well put advice. My questions were directed mostly with thought as to how the S&W .44 629 "in general" rates and I think I have a pretty good idea now. I knew that this particular edition probably wasn't in-of-itself anything special in the annals of HH. I often (probably more than I should) think of myself first when I get in a sporting goods store and (with that in mind) I haven't gone back yet with my wallet. Not having anyone else to turn to, I do take to heart alot of what I read from everyone on this site. After spending several months here its refreshing to not get any of the real pointed opinions one way or another. I'm exremely fortunate that my stepson is really just "my" son. From a very young age he latched onto the same passions I have in life and (I'm proud to say) he looks to me with alot of respect for my opinions. Sometimes I've regretted that he has the same tastes in equipment that I do! :>) He just turned 21 and he's still just as excited about hunting as he was when he was 12. I really appreciated the comment about him probably cherishing the things that he see me cherishing the most. It made me think alot about that. Back to my dilema . . . IF you had to rank 5 "must have" hunting sidearms, would a S&W .44 be in the mix?

Re: Don't want to get took . . . [Re: Score Guy] #34511 08/30/2008 6:57 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I'd say so, I think if I had it to do over again I'd think hard before buying all the big bores I've owned. I love my 475's but in all honesty short of a dream trip to alaska for brownies or africa for dangerous game the 44 will do everything I'll ever ask of my big bores. Guns like the 500 and 460 S&W are cool because they extend the range of the revolver over the standard cartridges but at standard handgun ranges the 44, 45 Colt and 454 will do everything they will. I loved my smith 629 with the 8 3/8 barrel and I regret selling it every day, it was one of the nicest handling, shooting and most accurate handguns I've owned.

Re: Don't want to get took . . . [Re: Score Guy] #34515 08/30/2008 2:35 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Score Guy
IF you had to rank 5 "must have" hunting sidearms, would a S&W .44 be in the mix?

No, but then I'm a SA kind of guy ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Don't want to get took . . . [Re: Score Guy] #34523 08/30/2008 3:27 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Score Guy
IF you had to rank 5 "must have" hunting sidearms, would a S&W .44 be in the mix?

For me? No, I prefer the single actions, too. But there are plenty that would include one in their "Top-5"; some would have it at the top of the list. Just ask Vance in AK.
Sounds like you have a great son. You are very fortunate. Enjoy every minute afield with him you can.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Don't want to get took . . . [Re: Score Guy] #34541 08/30/2008 8:18 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Quote:

Not a S&W but the 44 cartridge would be in the top 5.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod