Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Puter woes :-( #3103 07/25/2004 2:17 PM
Tigger Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Well yesterday our new computer went to sleep again. This is the second time since new (less than 4 months). Last time it was the mother board, I will assume it's the mother board again. Gets to be frustrating when it spends more time at the factory than it does at my house. I have had 2 other Gateway puters that worked great. I'm starting to loose faith in them. Might have to look into other options.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Puter woes :-( [Re: Tigger] #3104 07/25/2004 3:08 PM
PerryW Offline
Sorry to hear that. I have been hearing that Gateway has been having problems from a few other people. I gave up on factory rigs a few years ago and build my own.

I hope this gets sorted out for you soon.

Perry

Re: Puter woes :-( [Re: Tigger] #3105 07/25/2004 3:11 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
Dude, Are you getting a Dell? I never had any problems with my Gateway, but whe I bougth new I went with HP. Same puter half the money. Bought a Dell laptop for daughter to take to college. Good luck with your puter woes.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
My experience... [Re: Tigger] #3106 07/25/2004 5:01 PM
RadioTech Offline
stranger
stranger
I've had Gateway at work and they haven't been impressive.
Bought the wife a Dell nearly three years ago and its never given any problems. Bought a Dell laptop for the younger daughter to take to college and it has performed flawlessly so far.
I also have built a couple computers from the local electronics outlet and not had problems with them either.
Good Luck!

Re: Puter woes :-( [Re: Tigger] #3107 07/25/2004 9:10 PM
a17shooter Offline
I have about 200 Dell computers at work and consider them to be very reliable. Their on site technicians are competent and show up when they say they will. If you are ready to try a new computer try one of the Dell Optiplex series, probably the GX-280.

A17Shooter

PS - You have to go into the Small Business section to find the Optiplex series. Evaluate all the series to be sure of what you are getting.

Re: Puter woes :-( [Re: a17shooter] #3108 07/26/2004 1:09 AM
coltfan Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Sorry to hear about your problems. I know when the computer goes down at our house it's a major crisis.

I am employed as a purchasing agent, and was recently asked to purchase a backpack style carrying case for one of the executives Gateway laptop. It took approximately 3 weeks and a minimum of 15 phone calls to severeal different people at Gateway until we finally stumbled upon someone who actually seemed interested in taking care of a customer. Based on my experience with what should have been a very simple transaction, I would not purchase from Gateway ever again. In fact, this situation prompted me to send a memo to the head of our IT department cautioning him with regard to future purchases from Gateway.

I sure hope your experiences with Gateway are better than mine.

Re: Puter woes :-( [Re: Tigger] #3109 02/05/2006 7:10 AM
keyman Offline
When my Gateway laptop went belly up, it was cheaper to buy a new decktop model than what they wanted just to look at the laptop and see what was wrong. So I told them to screw themselves, I was buying a new Dell. No worries since.

Re: Puter woes :-( [Re: Tigger] #3110 02/05/2006 1:36 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
My Gateway is now my daughters toy in her room, I tried to take it out and shoot it with my 458 but the wife wouldn't let me. I never liked HP, probably because my dad was an engineer with IBM for 30 yrs. In fact you may have heard of one of the projects he was a primary engineer on, something called an ATM Anyhow he's gone now and was kind of a butt head anyhow so I bought an HP from Costco and love it. This is kind of a side subject but you guys might find it amusing, my parents went there seperate ways when I was 8-9 but I don't know if you remember the first pc IBM had called the "Peanut", any ways I called my dad when I was 14 cause I found me a 70 something torino beat to pieces but had a 351 cleveland in it(or so the guy said), my birthday was coming up so I told my dad I wanted this car, and he said he was going to give me a computer (the peanut) for my birthday but it was my choice. Yep, I took the 150.00 that the car would have cost but I bought a 12 gauge instead Choices we make when we are kids

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Puter woes :-( [Re: Tigger] #3111 02/05/2006 8:23 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
My first home computer was a Gateway. Had it for 7 years before it broke. I needed a new keyboard for it once. I called GW and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. Didn't tell them it was my fault. About 2 years ago, I bought this HP and it already has had problems. Power supplies, etc. The Dell my daughter got has been excellent, so when this poc finally peters out, it's Dell for me.

BTW, just replaced my Epson printer today with a HP cuz it was cheap. Hope it holds up.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: Puter woes :-( [Re: Tigger] #3112 02/06/2006 11:26 PM
hntrjohn Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Tigger---I had a problem with my puter shut'n down on me and after some research and a few choice words--it ended up being a dirty processor fan. It gets clogged with dust and the heatsink goes bad and the processor gets overheated. Check it out, only cost me 65.00 to repair.

Re: Puter woes :-( [Re: hntrjohn] #3113 02/07/2006 4:04 AM
Tigger Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
That first post was back in 04. Long story short that model gateway had bad motherboards. After the second puter went back for the second time. I sent a letter with it that simply stated "KEEP this computer and my money as I am thru with you and you products and you customer service that goes NO WHERE". We in no short order we got a call from someone way up in gateway that was very apologetic and said they wre sending us the next model up with extras from the original computer ordered. We got it and the hard drive puked 3 days later. They sent us a new one for me to instal. So far nock on wood this computer has held up. But I will never buy another gateway again.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Puter woes :-( [Re: Tigger] #3114 02/07/2006 12:58 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
my gateway has been most excellent n is still kickin

Kentucky….no place like home.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod