Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bear Tracking #37181 10/18/2008 4:32 AM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
We got about 6" of snow in the mountains, so I decided to see if I could find some bear tracks this morning. Due to a crust on the snow, I started off walking the road and after about a mile, I came across a set of bear tracks around 8 A.M. He followed the road for about a mile, walking in tire ruts in the snow from the previous day. Then he left the road moving north, at this point, I think he knew he was being followed.

I had planned to follow him until he left the road and then try to call him in. A couple hundred yard off the road, he entered some heavy cover. I was walking about three feet to the side of his tracks so I didn't disturb them, when suddenly they stopped. I walked ahead and didn't see any more tracks. I then walked over and looked closer at his tracks. He had turned around, without leaving any mark in the snow, and back tracked in the tracks he had left walking in. He back tracked about 30 feet and cut into heavy brush that hid his trail from my view when I first passed it.

I usually carry my revolvers with the hammer down on an empty cylinder. Even with the transfer bar, I don't like to have the hammer down on a round. The second time the bear pulled his back tracking trick was in some really heavy cover and it got me thinking how easy it would be for him to be waiting along his tracks for me. Not very likely, but it still made me uneasy. At that point, I went ahead and put a fifth round in my BFR, just in case.

He pulled the back track trick one more time. He also walked a log that had no snow on it, jumping down into brush and then he did a large circle cutting back over our tracks. I sped up and started pushing him and that put an end to his tricks. I had him running at a couple points, so I knew I was getting closing the distance. I knew the odds of getting a shot were low, but I was hoping to at least get a look at him. He didn't like getting pushed and he turned south, recrossed the road, and started heading straight up a steep mountain side. The mountain was covered in heavy brush and downed trees and he started putting more ground between us. After 3 hours and I don't know how many miles, I finally threw in the towel and admitted defeat. I didn't think a bear would pull the kind of tricks he did. Even though I didn't see him, it was a great morning.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Bear Tracking [Re: pab1] #37192 10/18/2008 12:27 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Next time before spooking him into running try making a big downwind circle and see if you can get in front of him. Of course it helps if he's heading in a fairly constant direction and there are at least some pieces of open meadow or pasture. He also may have been looking for a place to bed down when he was backtracking and ducking into heavy cover.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Bear Tracking [Re: pab1] #37193 10/18/2008 12:38 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Great story Pab! I am glad you had fun… and paid attention.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Bear Tracking [Re: TCTex.] #37196 10/18/2008 12:54 PM
Montanan Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Great story there Pab1

Re: Bear Tracking [Re: Montanan] #37209 10/18/2008 5:33 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
They are smart buggers aren't they, I've started out tracking a bear only to find their tracks on top of mine when I'd finally start back down the mountain and I had one I shot with my bow pull the same thing your talking about when I was tracking him after the shot.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Bear Tracking [Re: wapitirod] #37211 10/18/2008 6:45 PM
XP_Nut Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
LOL...That's why I love to hunt these buggers "I call them Timber GHOST's"

One Good Shot...Is All I Need.
Re: Bear Tracking [Re: XP_Nut] #37224 10/18/2008 8:43 PM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Thanks guys! I was surprised by his antics. After it was over I was kicking myself for not setting up to call as soon as he left the road. Gary, I'll have to try circling around to get ahead next time.

Re: Bear Tracking [Re: pab1] #37228 10/18/2008 9:58 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That is absolutly fasinating how he turned around in his own tracks to try and lose you.It has to be a heart pounder knowing that your trailing a carnivore in the wilds of Montana with a revolver on your hip.Just you and him.......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Bear Tracking [Re: jamesfromjersey] #37234 10/18/2008 11:50 PM
dorson Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Hey Pab1,
Could you describe doing a call set up for bear.I find this topic very fascinating.And I am wondering how or if it is different than coyote or bobcat calling or is all predator calling similar?
Do you use hand or mouth calls ,or a electronic caller?What types of sounds attract bears etc.Sorry for all the questions.I would for one would love to hear more.Great story.Hope to read about a dead bear from you shortly.
dorson

Re: Bear Tracking [Re: dorson] #37235 10/19/2008 12:29 AM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
I'll step in and tell you how I call. I use a dying jackrabbit call and a dying cottontail call. I found a good spot where they have been eating berries, skunk cabbage, or just finding fresh poop. I set up with my back against a tree or bushes. Totally camo'ed I start blowing like I'm a rabbit getting ripped apart. I call for about 5 min. then stop for about a minute. then start calling again. Bears get distracted very easily so you need to be patient. I call for an hour then I change locations. I go about 2 or 3 miles and start again. I have had my best luck early in the morning. They normally come in real slow but I have heard where some have come in pretty fast. They have a great nose on them and Ears so if you have to move alittle make sure you do it while your calling so he can't hear you. Also I had one spook at about 10 yards because he heard me pull my hammer back. What a bummer that was, he was walking right towards me and I was waiting tell he cleared this little snag, but nope off he ran. That's how I do it. I'm going to try a fawn call one of these times, I hear they work real well too.
It is great fun and very exciting. Just remember to keep calling for that hour before you give up. Good Luck! rupe

PS I like having someone looking behind me as well just in case they come in from down wind. I had one growl from behind one time when I was alone. Made me think alittle. LOL

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: Bear Tracking [Re: rupe] #37244 10/19/2008 1:03 AM
dorson Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Howdy rupe,
Thanks for the reply ,
sounds a lot like coyote and fox calling here in the midwest only with much nastier critters.Sounds like a total rush waiting for the bear to come closer.Wish I was out you guys way and closer ,I would definately watch your back just for the learning experience.
I participated in a succesful bear hunt in northern Idaho some 20 or more years ago just by luck as I happened to be living out that way for about a year with a an older brother.They only wanted the head,I skinned and sent the meat to the proccesor,it was good eating as far as I was concerned(was a little berry eater about 5 and and a half foot tall) and scraped the hide and salted it and I believe the hide went to waste after I moved from the area.I couldnt find any information on the subject back then.
Hopefully in a couple years I can get moved back out west somewhere between portland and seattle areas and at least be semi retired enough to do some hunting.
Thanks for the information,bear hunting (with a handgun)sounds like a blast.
dorson

Re: Bear Tracking [Re: dorson] #37246 10/19/2008 1:22 AM
lhunter03 Offline
addict
addict
Great story pab1. Keep up the good work.

Lars

Lars

.357 maxi, .375 win, 30-30 ackley, .450 marlin, and anything else that goes boom!!!
Re: Bear Tracking [Re: dorson] #37263 10/19/2008 4:23 AM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Dorson, Rupe pretty much nailed it. Longer (1 hour+) stands and constant calling. I use rabbit and fawn distress calls. I always make sure my back is against heavy cover. There are grizzlies and lions in the area too, you don't want one of them sneaking in the back door. Electronic calls are not allowed here for bear. You have better odds if you know a bear is close by. I have been surprised that no coyotes have come in to my stands this season. I saw six sets of wolf tracks yesterday which I think explains the lack of aggressive coyotes.

Re: Bear Tracking [Re: pab1] #37264 10/19/2008 4:32 AM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Never had a cat show up that I saw, but I had one show up coyote hunting once. I had a tag for it but I was so shocked seeing it I didn't even think about shooting it. It was on his way out before I saw him for a split second, I pretty sure I would have missed him even if I would have been ready. LOL

How's that fawn call work for you?

If you move down south of Portland it's a lot better. IMO

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
<><
Re: Bear Tracking [Re: rupe] #37267 10/19/2008 4:54 AM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Fawn distress calls work great, especially in areas where everybody is blowing rabbit distress calls. I've had muley does come bounding in quite a few times too. I'm not aware of any lions coming in to any of my stands, but calling in heavy cover, I know I never see a lot of the animals that do respond.

A few years back in Colorado I was hunting an area with fresh snow and a lot of coyote sign. I found a small opening in the timber/brush and decided to do a quick stand. Within about 20 seconds of calling a nice reddish coyote trotted into the open about 50 yards away. I rushed the shot with my SBH and missed. After confirming the miss, I back tracked past my stand and found two sets of coyote tracks that crossed over my tracks, about 15 feet behind my calling stand. I think this happens a lot in heavy cover. They just stay out of sight until they get down wind and then they're gone.

Re: Bear Tracking [Re: rupe] #37271 10/19/2008 10:32 AM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
Rupe, what is skunk cabbage? Never heard of it. I like the calling tactic though. You should be able to call anything hungry in like that.

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Bear Tracking [Re: rupe] #37328 10/20/2008 12:22 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
Cool story pab1.
Good luck gettin on one.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Bear Tracking [Re: Jeremy] #37334 10/20/2008 2:32 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Jeremy
Rupe, what is skunk cabbage? Never heard of it. I like the calling tactic though. You should be able to call anything hungry in like that.

Here you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_Cabbage

It grows in marshy ground here in the NW. The bears love it. We learned to put meat and potatos' rolled up in it and cooking it next to the coals of a fire when I was in boy scouts. It smells like skunk but not very strong. It's big leaf witha yellow flower looking inside.

Yes you can call just about anything in with those calls. I have had rabbits show up, big mistake, coyotes but you only call them for about 10 to 15 minutes maybe 20 if you know they have been hunted in the area. Then leave and drive a couple miles and set up again. I had Cougar& ravens show up. Badger come to it as well, but I have never had one show up as well as Fox.
Speaking of Ravens, if one shows up while you are calling in bear, sit tight and don't move at all. Bears will follow the squak of a raven at times. Ravens of course can see any little movement and will set of an alarm. So having a raven show up means you are calling right. It also raises your blood pressure because a bear may show up at anytime.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
<><
Re: Bear Tracking [Re: rupe] #37336 10/20/2008 4:43 PM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
You're right Rupe, ravens, crows and magpies showing up is a good sign. Sometimes I use a crow call, between distress calls on my stands.

Re: Bear Tracking [Re: pab1] #37362 10/21/2008 2:06 AM
dorson Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Calling coyotes here in the midwest is very similar.Shorter stands(15 to 30 minutes)And often times you will call in the crows,which would be the midwest equivalent of a raven,also call in predatory birds once in a while,such as redtailed hawks etc.actually had one dive bomb me and sit right above me and continue to dive bomb and land in the tree above me that finally I just left.Yes it was very tempting but I didnt but I did check him out in the scope of my 22-250.
Thanks for for the story and the answers to my questions.
dorson

Re: Bear Tracking [Re: dorson] #37363 10/21/2008 2:30 AM
hunlee Offline
addict
addict
Hi there Hunlee hear!!!!!Hunlee must warn you when tracking bear that can be very dangerious to you life and limb!!!!!All bear have teeth and claw and when they are not biteing you they will scratch you with they claw!!!!!Hunlee has never run into bear and never want to either!!!!!Hunlee did run into rattler snake once tho and Hunlee was scared half to death!!!!![censored] run down the leg of hunlee!!!!!!Hunlee is not one to get scared but bear and rattler snake scared Hunlee!!!!!!!Hunlee hope youin are very carefull when monkeyinn round with bear

hunlee

Hunlee is friend to all,,,Is a lover not a fighter and has fathered many children!!!!
Re: Bear Tracking [Re: hunlee] #37367 10/21/2008 4:49 AM
Slimpickens Ca. Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Hunlee,

Man you crack me up!!!! God Love Ya!!

I'll keep my Faith!
I'll keep my Freedom's
I'll keep my money!
And you can keep the "CHANGE!"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod