Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I thought I saw a ghost ... #37205 10/18/2008 4:37 PM
leasongs Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Today was the 3rd day of Wisconsins early doe only gun hunt. It rained yesterday and half the night and was about 35 degrees this morning. To say the least, it was foggy this morning! About 0720 I could see a ghostly white blob moving along the top of the ridge through the fog ... since my binoculars where worthless due to internal fogging from last nights rain, with my bare eyes, If I hadn't been seeing these buggars for the last 3 years I would have swore I saw a ghost ... but, no, Just another white deer. This is the first year that they made it legal to shoot one, but I couldn't tell if was a baldy or a small buck at 125 yards without my binocks ... maybe I will get another chance to turn that white deer into a real ghost one day.

Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: leasongs] #37213 10/18/2008 6:51 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Halloween is just around the corner.
;\)

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: pab1] #37215 10/18/2008 7:44 PM
taurus41 Offline
My wifes family is from wisconsin. I heard about the white and pie-bald deer when i lived there. But i never got to see one. Do you have any pics of any "ghosts"? Good luck to you. My season opening day is next sunday. Hoping to fill my doe tags with my .41 this fall.

Taurus 425 .41 magnum
Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: taurus41] #37216 10/18/2008 7:53 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I saw my first blacktail this year that had irregular coloring he was white but didn't have pink eyes so he wasn't albino but he had brown splotches on him. I got a good look at the little critter though because it was just a yearling so it had no real fear.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: wapitirod] #37218 10/18/2008 8:11 PM
taurus41 Offline
A saw a picture of a full albino cow elk with its herd at a photo shop. I found out later it had been shot by a local boy and mounted and on display some where in NW Montana. I'd like to check that out.

Taurus 425 .41 magnum
Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: taurus41] #37239 10/19/2008 12:43 AM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
I think if I saw one I would be so shocked, that I would forget to shoot it and it would get away. LOL

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: rupe] #37256 10/19/2008 1:43 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
someone shot an albino elk here last year, I never saw it but the tree huggers got all upset because to hear them tell it the thing was some type of endangered species.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: wapitirod] #37280 10/19/2008 3:27 PM
leasongs Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have a trail camera out and I get a lot of good pictures of deer, but never a white deer. I have been REALLY up close to a pretty nice 8 point buck ... it wasn't albino, it was a white deer, because it didn't have pink eyes. The first time I saw one while hunting I thought it was a big white plastic garbage bag blowing across the marsh ... They are kind of neat to see, and they were always protected before, this is the first year they are allowing hunters to shoot them. The DNR still require that you call them within 7 days of shooting one so they can issue the proper permits to possess one ... if I ever get any good pictures of one I will be sure to post it!

Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: leasongs] #37281 10/19/2008 5:12 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Tree huggers need to be painted with tar and dipped into a tub of spotted owl feathers and run out of the country on the back of a protected Wolfs back!

Last edited by rupe; 10/19/2008 5:19 PM.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: rupe] #37290 10/19/2008 9:14 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: rupe
Tree huggers need to be painted with tar and dipped into a tub of spotted owl feathers and run out of the country on the back of a protected Wolfs back!

it's been about 20 yrs ago now but a logger in northern california did one better. a tree hugger chained himself to a tree so the logger fell the tree with the guy attached, last I heard he got 15yrs for murder but it was pay back for the millworkers and loggers that were killed and injured from spiked trees but they don't like to talk about that.

Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: wapitirod] #37301 10/19/2008 11:23 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I was running tail saw when the head saw made a heck of a noise. The sawyer stopped immediatly and looked ourselves over for holes. Really scarry! What had happen was we were sawing an oak log that was about 20" in diameter. The saw was getting close to the center of the log and we hit a horse shoe. Must have been at least 100 years ago a horse threw a shoe and the farmer hung it in a small oak to get later and put back on the horse. Well he never went back and got it. It grew into the center of the tree and we found it. As luck would have it the shoe was held tight enough that the teeth sawed right thru it. No teeth broke but they were really dull. Sometimes when you hit metal it dislodges and breaks teeth and metal goes flying in all directions like bullets. Very dangerous. It can also destroy a saw, they are very expensive.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: Tigger] #37318 10/20/2008 2:33 AM
larry223 Offline
addict
addict
tigger you are very lucky i had that happen, i have run tail
saw to it is scary.
larry

tc,s 223 35rem 7-30 waters 6.5jdj 375
30/30ai 6mm/223 22lr
encores 7mm-08 308
redhawk 44mag.
Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: larry223] #37342 10/20/2008 5:50 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
There was a dispute my Grandfather was in over the boundary lines on his place. He said it was an old oak tree and a couple of people just laughed at him. They tried to cut the old tree down and about half way threw the chain saw started throwing sparks like crazy. It was unreal. My Grandfather was just siting on the tailgate of the truck having a good old time and cutting up with the Sheriff. Finely after tearing up two saw blades and just basically giving up they asked my Grandfather what was so funny. He said you hit a railroad track beam. He said his daddy put it there as a boundary mark when he bought the land. Sheriff said well, I guess that settles that and just drove off. Never will forget that day.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: wapitirod] #37398 10/22/2008 1:11 PM
chiefs50 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
[quote=wapitirod
it's been about 20 yrs ago now but a logger in northern california did one better. a tree hugger chained himself to a tree so the logger fell the tree with the guy attached, last I heard he got 15yrs for murder but it was pay back for the millworkers and loggers that were killed and injured from spiked trees but they don't like to talk about that. [/quote]

In the U.P. where I hunt the only "spiked" trees you'll likely encounter are those spiked by bowhunters and gunhunters who leave nails, spikes, climbing spikes, etc. in trees. This is a big problem on both public and forest crop lands and gives responsible hunters a bad name.

Mike

CSM, Retired
I believe in science and reason, not some invisible guy in the sky.
Re: I thought I saw a ghost ... [Re: chiefs50] #37415 10/23/2008 12:17 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
it's not to bad anymore but when the war started over the spotted owl, which by the way isn't even indiginous to this country the tree huggers started by using metal spikes but when the mills installed metal detectors they started using ceramic spikes and their intention was to kill and injure, pretty ironic they don't mind killing a person but don't dare upset an owl. We have the issue with bullets and broadheads but aluminum and lead don't cause chainsaw chains to explode into shrapnel or cause saw blades in mills to come apart. I grew up in a lumber dependent community and I live in one now and I did my time in mills as a kid and these tree huggers don't just give someone a bad name they are a disgrace to the human race.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod