Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Scope Issues #37605 10/26/2008 2:06 AM
500 Mag. Dave Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
After seeing alot of scope issues I wound how many of you actually called the manufacture too see if it would work on you set up are just thought because someone eles has it or it was all the $$ you wanted to spend and now your on this site saying Oh know my scope isn't any good what's gone on. With the recoil some of these guns kick up don't you think a phone call would save alot of humbug.I'm sure glad when I bought my 500 mag PC 10 1/2" the guy said if you're scope it you might want too call who ever and make sure the warranty will still hold up and you know if your at a competition or taking that once in a life time shot at that big trophy. Im sure glad I did.

S&W500 MAG PC 10 1/2" 2.5-8X32 Leupold
RUGER RED HAWK 41 MAG 7 1/2" Red Dot
I pistol hunt JUST FOR KICKS!!!!
Re: Scope Issues [Re: 500 Mag. Dave] #37608 10/26/2008 3:05 AM
liv2hnt460 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
What scope did you put on your revolver?

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Re: Scope Issues [Re: liv2hnt460] #37622 10/26/2008 1:57 PM
PsyopsE6 Offline
I work in a small gun shop and sell various scopes and with the onslaught of big bores why would the manufactures warranty not state if they are capable of handling the recoil of the big bores???Because they don't want consumers to think their products have limitations!!! If it fails with a 500 SW when will it fail with a 454??? If ya buy a 4 wheel drive in MI you shouldn't have to call Detroit and see if it will work on trails!!....ElDee

Re: Scope Issues [Re: 500 Mag. Dave] #37626 10/26/2008 3:40 PM
500 Mag. Dave Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Well let see. So you saying I can go buy a $80.00 scope from who ever and mount it on the 500 and it will hold up,NOT. And if you work in a shop you know that you get what you pay for. I went with an Eotech and I knew that not everything would work.I had a pro point I had on my other pistol and it's ok. I put the same thing on my black powder and it didn't. O and by the way I have a four wheel drive truck and yes I got it stuck and I didn't run too the net to say it's trash.Back to scopes know. All I'm trying too say if maybe you take the time out and ask it might help.

Re: Scope Issues [Re: 500 Mag. Dave] #37640 10/26/2008 9:51 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I think the members of this site are one of the best tools around when selecting gear. There are not many other places that you will have the opportunity to hear from people with as much experience and knowledge as you'll find right here. If you have questions about the quality of a product, more than likely, some of the members here have already put it to the test.

I have always used Burris scopes and never had a problem with any of them. Through the experiences of others on this site, it sounds like they've been having issues with their quality control lately. That is not something any manufacturer is going to tell you. I agree, you get what you pay for. But when you pay for a top of the line scope, that is supposed to be designed to withstand heavy recoil and it fails, you have a right to be upset.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Scope Issues [Re: 500 Mag. Dave] #37641 10/26/2008 10:51 PM
500 Mag. Dave Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Couldn't agree more, great forum and tons of info. Just woundering like I'm sure others are, what's up with the scopes.
Is it due too the high recoil are is it just your not getting what you think your paying for.And yes I'd be mad too if my high dallor scope would be broke too.I'm just asking if any of these guys did any research or just settle for price. I guess I just got lucky when I was looking for something for my 500. I called a few comp's and all but one said it'll work if I used that one only and told me why. Or Maybe the componies or just cutting back and it's showing up know. Who knows it's just something to talk about and maybe learn something new from.

Re: Scope Issues [Re: 500 Mag. Dave] #37644 10/26/2008 11:28 PM
Diego Offline
Correct me if I am wrong

Sometimes you go to autozone, then one day you go to NAPA, then one day to the dealer for OEM, and then to the custom shop for the special item. Sometimes you get bad apple. Majority of the high end scopes will be good to excellent optics and service a lifetime and will stand behind their products even when transferred to another individual. Some of the handguns we shoot have destroyed scoped, wrist, shoulders, and creased some of our heads. But on the whole buy a quality, good warranty scope and you should be happy if you buy a scope intended for your purpose if not there is always aperature peep, buckhorn, and custom iron sights.

It's a Dry Heat
Re: Scope Issues [Re: 500 Mag. Dave] #37652 10/27/2008 3:03 AM
500 Mag. Dave Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Your wrong about the auto stuff. I get my parts when I need them from the dealer so I get the right part the first time not the second or third.You learn from your mistakes and yes I did on a small 41 mag. It's like I said you get what you pay for and nothing or nobody's perfect. A simple phone call just might help.

Re: Scope Issues [Re: 500 Mag. Dave] #37657 10/27/2008 11:57 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The truth is that every manufacture is going to have problems at one time or another. It is how they remedy the dilemma that makes the company. As stated before, you get what you pay for and it isn’t worth it to skip on the scope.

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Scope Issues [Re: TCTex.] #37659 10/27/2008 5:20 PM
PsyopsE6 Offline
Hey guys right off the top of your heads (collectively) name the top names of scopes in the USA??? Should I have to call everytime I want a scope on my guns?? Never had to in Europe, just bought a Zeiss and went about my way...Course now we are taking outstanding quality control, and $$'s compared to US stuff, eh fella's....ElDee

Re: Scope Issues [Re: PsyopsE6] #37664 10/27/2008 9:25 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The only scope I've never had a failure out of is a Leupold, I've never bought european optics and I won't because it's bad enough that after this election this is probably going to look alot more like europe than America and I prefer to spend my money on products made in my own country.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Scope Issues [Re: pab1] #37667 10/27/2008 9:38 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: pab1
I think the members of this site are one of the best tools around when selecting gear. There are not many other places that you will have the opportunity to hear from people with as much experience and knowledge as you'll find right here. If you have questions about the quality of a product, more than likely, some of the members here have already put it to the test.

I have always used Burris scopes and never had a problem with any of them. Through the experiences of others on this site, it sounds like they've been having issues with their quality control lately. That is not something any manufacturer is going to tell you. I agree, you get what you pay for. But when you pay for a top of the line scope, that is supposed to be designed to withstand heavy recoil and it fails, you have a right to be upset.

Agreed 100%.

You gotta realize something. Nobody's on here complaining about why their BSA or their Tasco or their $20 Wal-Mart brand scope failed on their fire-breathing handcannon. We're talking Burris here. Burris' reputation has been among the highest of the various brands of optics available to the consumer esp. in terms of durability and ruggedness. Of the many hundreds of 2-7 and 3-9 Burris handgun scopes used by members on this forum alone, there are overwhelmingly more good reports than bad.

It is a concern to us, the loyal consumers of their products, when there appears to be something that contradicts what we "know" about a particular scope or scope brand. I bet if you called Burris today, they would heartily recommend any of there pistol scopes for use on any handgun out there. I, for one, appreciate the reports recently about the various failures. It keeps us all informed and in the long run, everyone benefits.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Scope Issues [Re: 500 Mag. Dave] #37841 10/29/2008 9:57 PM
500 Mag. Dave Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I took 20 min.'s of my time too call burris to ask about scope info. I told him what I was shooting and asked what would hold up best. First he said all because of the replacement warrn..
I then told him I'm not looking to buy a scope to have replaced I'm looking for something that would hold up to my 500. When then talked about test they do to determine the durability of their scopes. He did go and talk to someone about the testing so said. After taklking about how they test thier scopes I agin ask what would stand up to my 500 the best and he said any of the fixed powers due to less moving parts. I was very pleased wiht the out come and do on planing on buy a burris scope but still not sure. Now knowing that anything can go wrong, it's up to me if I want a fix or non-fix knowing he said Id be better off with the fixed power. Now that wasn't so bad to make a phone call and he even recomended what to go with to hold up for what I have . Great company to deal with.

Re: Scope Issues [Re: 500 Mag. Dave] #37888 10/30/2008 2:50 AM
BINGO Offline
addict
addict
Not for nothin but my 2-6X Bushnell is still good on my 454. That's the only variable I've had on a hand gun. I've Had Burris, Nikon, & Leupold(still have it) 2X's. They all worked great. A 2X Pentax was just crappy! However that 500 is a different animal. I'd be P O'ed if my scope broke under recoil. Your more understanding than I am. Don't those advertisements & claims on their site say recoil proof or shock proof?

Re: Scope Issues [Re: BINGO] #37894 10/30/2008 3:16 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
actually a single action 454 will chew up more scopes than a 500 S&W I've owned single actions up to and including the 475 linebaugh and I've owned both the 500 and 460XVR and a BFR in 45-70, the single actions are alot more brutal on optics than the smiths. The smiths have enough weight and with factory compensators they just give a big shove whereas the single action FA's and custom rugers come in at half the weight and recoil is much more violent. I've had Burris, Leupold and Bushnells on my big bores and I prefer leupold but none failed from recoil on any of my guns although I'm sure eventually one will. I've also used weaver on my 41 and 44 mags and never had a problem. The only scopes I'd worry about are the simmons, tasco, ncstar, and bsa and a few other no name $50 specials. I've also used variable bushnells and leupolds on all of my big bores and never had a problem, the comment about fixed power scopes is just a common sense thing but I'd put my Leupold variables up against any other fixed power scope for toughness.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Scope Issues [Re: 500 Mag. Dave] #37969 10/31/2008 2:55 AM
500 Mag. Dave Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Bottom line is evryone have a right to call and ask ? on what they are buying. And still it dosen't mean that you want ever have a problem or may it will last forever than great. I geuss untill you have a problem it starts to make you think, Is it the right one or what. I geuss I should have did a poll instead although the topic did have a good respound.

Re: Scope Issues [Re: PsyopsE6] #38119 11/02/2008 1:50 PM
PsyopsE6 Offline
Hey guys just a sidebar to my original topic with Burris Fast Fire, and has nothing to do with handguns but after all the responses I needed to include this...I have had a Leatherwood ART on my long range AR 15 for years, a month ago the windage turret started to bind and move hard..I emailed Hi-Lux to no avail, then someone did respond and asked me to send the scope to them, this was Wednesday this week, Friday evening at 19:30 the phone rings and this gentleman asked to speak to me about my Leatherwood scope. I missed his name but he kept referring to Leatherwood as "his company"..first off apoligizes to me numerous times for the problem on email, and said he had my scope right in front of him, would not repair it but send a new one immediately, he thought it was too late to send it today so it would go out first thing Monday morning..then apoligize for a problem with "his scope"...I was so impressed that someone was so concerned about "their" product becoming defective and having problems with service that he personnaly calls to assure you, that you are a true concern to them, a real person not just a statistic..ElDee

Re: Scope Issues [Re: PsyopsE6] #38122 11/02/2008 2:13 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Thats good to hear PsyopsE6! Manufacturers need to realize that with the internet and forums like this one, word spreads fast about their product quality and customer service. Not too long ago, if you had a company with an inferior product or poor customer service, your friends would hear about it, but that was about it. Those days are gone. Just from this forum alone, I know of a few companies that I will never give a dime to. I don't care if only one in ten thousand of their products has an issue. If they don't believe in their product, their reputation and the customer, I won't buy from them. The companies that step up, have pride in their product and take care of issues are the only ones I will deal with.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Scope Issues [Re: pab1] #42765 12/22/2008 5:18 AM
briang1621 Offline
Has anyone tried a Nikon on a Big Bore?
I have a 500 S&W hunter and want to jam (securely) this scope on there.
http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Nikon-Encore-EER-2_5-8x28-Silver-Handgun-Scope-BDC-Reticle-8482.html

Thanks
Brian

PETA = people eat tasty Animals

---
I support PETA = People eating tasty Animals
Ha !
Re: Scope Issues [Re: briang1621] #42766 12/22/2008 5:43 AM
briang1621 Offline
Oh, ya, I wanted to add that this form and members seem great, I just ran across it, and I am very happy I did.

Again, Any comments on this Nikon (Encore) or Monarch Scopes is very much appreciated!
Especially comments any one with experience with them on S&W 0.50 handgun or other big cal.

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/store/Search.aspx?searchTerms=handgun%20nikon&submit=true
Thanks
Brian

---
Ha !
Re: Scope Issues [Re: briang1621] #42772 12/22/2008 12:25 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: briang1621
Oh, ya, I wanted to add that this form and members seem great...

They are just a bunch of pretty faces on the surface...wait until their true colors come out...especially when half these old goats are on pain meds!!
;\)

I just ran across it...

Quick...run the other way!!

and I am very happy I did.

That may change...especially when your wallet starts getting lighter. Beware of KYODE...he always asks to borrow a $20...usually from new members.

;\)

BTW...WELCOME!!!

Hey...you got a $10 I can borrow??

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Scope Issues [Re: Dan B.] #42786 12/22/2008 2:36 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
well....since we are in hard times n all....i know people are having it difficult to find "spare cash" etc. considering it is also the holidays....i can accept FREE gifts as well. any usable donations accepted. half boxes of bullets, spare die sets, unneeded barrels n such all could come in handy. i will also accept lb cans of your extra powder....but you'll have to pick up the hazmat fees as well.
\:D

never had a nikon scope, but it should be a quality product by reputation. i'm a burris man for the most part, like leupold, and can get by with a bushnell. versatility right here....uh huh

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Scope Issues [Re: briang1621] #42799 12/22/2008 4:24 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Welcome to HHM briang1621!!!!

I don't have any experience with the Nikon pistol scopes. I have not heard anything negative about them either. I have/had Nikon rifle scopes and no issues yet. The scopes I have are very clear and bright.

Dan B and KYODE, well they are a couple of guys on the site that don't need meds to be strange!
\:\)
LOL<LOL

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Scope Issues [Re: briang1621] #42815 12/22/2008 5:23 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Has anyone tried a Nikon on a Big Bore?
I have a 500 S&W hunter and want to jam (securely) this scope on there.
http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Nikon-Encore-EER-2_5-8x28-Silver-Handgun-Scope-BDC-Reticle-8482.html

I own 2 Nikon's, one is the 2x Monarch and the other is the 2.5x8 Monarch. I have no complaint with either one. The 2x spent two years perched on top a custom 475 linebaugh without a muzzle brake. The 2.5x8 now sits on top that same gun but, with a muzzle brake. It's had around 100 pops through it so far, great scope....KRal

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Scope Issues [Re: KRal] #42836 12/22/2008 8:18 PM
pamlicomike Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I've got a 2x Nikon on a Ruger Redhawk 44mag 5 1/2" barrel. It's had hundreds of rounds sent thru it with no problems. Same scope on a Ruger MKII. It's very accurate as well.

Slow Down Your On River Time.
Re: Scope Issues [Re: pamlicomike] #42859 12/23/2008 12:20 AM
briang1621 Offline
Great thanks guys for your comments on the Nikon
I am going to try the NIKON Encore EER 2.5-8x28 on my S&W 500 hunter, I will get back on after I get it hooked up, and report back on how it did.
Thanks a bunch!
Brian

---
Ha !
Re: Scope Issues [Re: briang1621] #42862 12/23/2008 12:54 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
May want to use Warne Rings in the 500-- Or at least someting with some surface area otherwise it might move.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Scope Issues [Re: H2OBUG] #43532 12/31/2008 10:12 PM
briang1621 Offline
I go the Warne rings seem pretty solid, I have yet to see how the Nikon holds up to the shooting.
Here is the picks I took, I was a bit bored so I pulled out my photo equipment.
Thanks
Brian
http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3907

---
Ha !
Re: Scope Issues [Re: briang1621] #43533 12/31/2008 10:15 PM
briang1621 Offline

I bought the Nikon and Have yet to see how it holds up to fire.
Here the picks of it below, nice scope, the BCD rectal is cool.
http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3907

---
Ha !
Re: Scope Issues [Re: 500 Mag. Dave] #43583 01/01/2009 4:09 AM
500 Mag. Dave Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hey Brian,
I have the same gun but went with the E-Tech(the right one).
I will one day soon get a scope don't know which one yet. Keep me updated on it and what kind of yardage your getting. Also what kind of loads you ran through it so for.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod