Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New to the forum and many questions #3269 08/12/2004 9:20 PM
MSDH Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi. I am new to the forum but have been reading posts here for a while. Ive enjoyed browsing through them. Seems like theres a wealth of knowledge here. Im getting back into handgun hunting after about a 15 year absence. I was so fanatical about hunting with muzzleloaders the past few years I abandoned all other firearms. I now have the itch again. I used to hunt with a .44 ruger redhawk and a T/C contender in .357Maximium. I killed 5 deer with the Redhawk and 3 with the T/C so Im hardly a hangun hunting expert. I recently purchased a G2 in 12" .44 mag. I found a NIB T/C 2.5x7 lighted recticle scope fro 163 bucks!!. For mounting I had some Leupold QR rings allready so I bought the matching QR base. My question is this. Ive used these rings before on muzzleloaders and have been pleased but how are they on handguns? I know the recoil is a totally different animal on these guns. Should I stick with the Quick releases as I allready have my eye on another barrel and I could move my scope around easily? Or should I go to the Leupold dovetail mounts? THANKS

Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: MSDH] #3270 08/12/2004 9:53 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I've never used the Leupold QR rings but I do prefer as much length from front to back on scope mounting as I can get, especially with the hard kickers. Warne makes an excellent QR system too by the way. I used to use the Leupold dovetail mounts but now I much prefer to get a Weaver base and then use either the Burris Zee rings or an aluminum ring (like the SSK rings) with the Weaver style base. I bought 2 sets of the alum. rings recently at a gun show and they were for Knight muzzle loaders. I think the rings were $11 & are designed for the Weaver style base.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: MSDH] #3271 08/13/2004 12:31 AM
jim257 Offline
addict
addict
welcome aboard,im not sure about the quick release set up.i guess as long as you remember to check it every so often it should work great!try it and let us in on how it works...jim257

get-r-done
Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: Gary] #3272 08/13/2004 12:35 AM
MSDH Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks Gary, I too like the Warne QR I have them on 2 inlines and the Leupolds on another. I went with the Leupolds because I allready had a set of rings. But I am definitely not adverse to trying something else if it works better. It seems that here and on another forum shooters really like the Burris Zee rings.

Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: MSDH] #3273 08/13/2004 1:47 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
welcome msdh! i'm hardly an expert either, but you'll not find anyone that likes it any better.
shewwww!!!.... if i had the money....i'd be plum dangerous.

never used the quick release rings, but i've often wondered why we don't hear more from them on these tc's, since you have so many barrel options.
i usually set up each barrel with it's own scope. get's kinnda pricey.....but hey!....it's only money....and i enjoy it.
i have a leupold 3 ring mount on my 30-30AI. i like it really well.......i have a few weaver bases with 3 burris signature zee rings.......i have a tsob base by ssk on my 14" 44mag, with 3 zee rings.......and i have a couple sets of burris dual dovetails, with signature burris rings........and my favorite encore scope mount setup is on my 15" .243. it's a virgin valley weaver style base, with 3 burris signature rings.

i'd guess that the system you have will hold just fine, unless there is something else you would prefer. loctite the base....and either use friction pads inside the rings(sticky back paper label is fine)....and or lap the rings. 2 rings should hold fine, if it's done right.....i just seem to prefer 3 for the extra security, and i like the looks.

the leupold 3 ring mounts are about $35 plus shipping at www.midsouthshooterssupply.com, which is not bad for rings n all.
welcome...and post often

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: MSDH] #3274 08/13/2004 2:24 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
MSDH, Welcome to the forum! I like the Weaver style base and the Burris rings. The plastic inserts are great for not leaving marks on your scopes, especially if you move them around alot.

I took my first deer with a 357 Max. Fond memories! It's a great round. Seems like all it does anymore is a little target practice.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: MSDH] #3275 08/13/2004 5:51 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Welcome agoard. Pull up a chair and sit a spell, but most of all enjoy.

I have never used the QD Rings either so can not comment on them.

I too use mostly Weaver Bases, and either the Burris Zee Rings or Millett Vertical Split Rings. Lately I have been using more of the Millett Vertical Split Rings and use 3 of them on all centerfire barrels. Guess maybe I am a little like ole KYODE (perish the thought on that one) but prefer the looks of the 3 Rings and feel they add a little extra margin of security in holding everything tight.

Again welcome, and you are right there is a great bunch of Handgunners that hang around here with lots and lots of experience (providing you can sift through all of the bull at times).

Larry

Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: Larry in SD] #3276 08/13/2004 10:20 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
larry's like me......larry's like meeee!

now thats a great lookin mount setup also. larry's modified weaver base, and 3 millet vertical split rings look good.
show him a pic larry

leupold makes some inexpensive vertical split rings. around $11 at a local wal-mart here. rifleman....i think they're called.

Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: MSDH] #3277 08/13/2004 1:55 PM
drdoolittle_1 Offline
MSDH....WELCOME!!!!!!
Cheers,
Dave

The Gun Garage "We fix ugly guns"
Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: KYODE] #3278 08/13/2004 4:45 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Quote:

larry's like me......larry's like meeee!

now thats a great lookin mount setup also. larry's modified weaver base, and 3 millet vertical split rings look good.
show him a pic larry

OK, guess I walked right into that one didn't I? Just one question though KYODE, does that make me an honorary Kentuckian from the land of Daniel Boone?

Since KYODE insisted I have attached a photo of my beloved Super 14 .30-30 AI Contender. Yes I do modify the weaver bases in that I remove the extended portion that hangs out over the barrel, but does not contact anything, and in my opinion serves no purpose. In addition on this particular barrel I also had two extra holes drilled in the weaver base and two extra holes drilled and tapped into the barrel so it is secured with 6 screws instead of the standard 4 screws.

Larry

Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: Larry in SD] #3279 08/13/2004 5:25 PM
Hawkeye Offline
old hand
old hand
Larry in SD- where can one get the sling studs for the Pachy grips? I have two sets on my Contenders and need to install slings. Is there any trick to it.
By the way, very nice looking pistol. How much do you gain over the Thurdy-Thurdy? Is this the same as a 30-30 Improved?
Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: Larry in SD] #3280 08/13/2004 7:54 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Quote:

does that make me an honorary Kentuckian from the land of Daniel Boone?

well.....hmmmm .....maybe that makes you a "ornery Kentuckian".....er sumthin

.....and don't forget ol "Colonel Sanders"......ya know.....Kentucky fried chicken.

.....and don't forget that "smooth Ky whiskey"......er was that bourbon.. .....er maybe moonshine

oh yeah.....you see....that ol larry has the 30-30AI lookin sharp!

Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: Hawkeye] #3281 08/14/2004 12:36 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Quote:

Larry in SD- where can one get the sling studs for the Pachy grips? I have two sets on my Contenders and need to install slings. Is there any trick to it.
By the way, very nice looking pistol. How much do you gain over the Thurdy-Thurdy? Is this the same as a 30-30 Improved?
Mike

Thanks, I think it turned out pretty good too. The Frame is Stainless-Steel and the Barrel is Hard Chrome Plated by Metaloy.

Yes the .30-30 AI is an Improved version of the .30-30 Winchester which results in about 33% more case capacity. As per the Velocities, this particular barrel would do 2450 FPS with a 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip .30-30 Winchester Load. As an Ackley Improved my hunting load runs the same 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullet at 2683 FPS.

In regards to the sling swivel stud through the Pachmayr Grip, the one in the photo is home made. The particular grip had a bushing in it and used a long 1/4" bolt. I simply took the proper length 1/4" Bolt, rounded the head so it would fit inside of the grip, then had my local machinist drill and tap a hole in it so I could screw in a Machine Screw Sling Swivel Stud into the hole. I did have to cut a couple more threads onto the machine screw sling swivel stud so it would screw in flush with the head of the 1/4" bolt. Once that was all done I just welded the two together and touched it up with a grinder and some cold bluing.

For the ones without the internat bushing in the Pachmayr Grip, I simply found the right size piece of steel rod, cut it to the proper length and then drilled and tapped the proper size holes-n-threads in each end. Once this was done I screwed a 1/4" stud in one and and a machine screw sling swivel stud in the other end.

In the forend I simply drilled an extra hole in the forend and forend adaptor (the same distance from the end of the adaptor as the forend mounting screw is located, only on the other end of the forend adaptor), and tapped the proper size threads into the adaptor to mount the front sling swivel stud to.

I also sanded out this forend a little so the main contact is between the forend and the adaptor, with slight clearance between the barrel and the forend. I just found the proper piece size of PVC Pipe, wrapped sandpaper around it and sanded away.

It really isn't that complicated to make these parts. Otherwise Uncle Mikes does offer a Sling Swivel Kit for the Contenders that includes everything you need for about $20.00.

Larry

PS KYODE, Kentucky MOONSHINE, they probably won't let me have any of that on the JOB. But then I probably don't really need it anyway, I get goofy enough at times the way it is hehehehe.

Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: Larry in SD] #3282 08/14/2004 3:04 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
great post larry!

yep....i'm on a natural high too larry i get pretty goofy sometimes....but heck.....it's fun that way

i will have to admit to a couple run ins with "the shine" many years back though. i'm lucky to be here ....live n learn....live n learn

Re: New to the forum and many questions [Re: KYODE] #3283 08/14/2004 3:48 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Ah KYODE you're makin me blush, Cut out the compliments or I'll start thinking someone else is posting using your name.

Larry

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod