Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shooting today, and some info on Scope Base Screws #3322 08/14/2004 8:52 PM
Larry in SD Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Back when I bought the Super 14 .30 Herrett Barrel that I had rechambered to .30-30 AI, two of the original scope mount screw holes in the barrel were stripped out. I added to screws making it a 6 screw mount, and replaced the two stripped out screws with Brownells OVERSIZE 6x48TPI Screws. When I put the silver scope base on it after I purchased this barrel back again, one of the other original screw holes in the barrel were stripped out also. Today I got in touch with my buddy that has the oversized 6x48TPI Screws and Tap and redid the other two original screw holes in the barrel. This is an easy fix for Contender Barrels with stripped screw holes. The oversize 6x48 TPI Screws come in a pack of 12, and the most expensive part is the tap. Both the screws and tap can be purchased from Brownells. Now my base is secure with all new screws and threads so I shouldn't have that thought in the back of my mind anymore.

Since I had everything apart again, I decided it was too nice of a day to waiste by not shooting, so I loaded up everything and headed to the City Dump. First up I rezeroed the .30-30 AI (which btw only took a couple clicks believe it or not) since I had taken everything apart. I zeroed it shooting off of my home made rest, with a sandbag under the grip.

Once it was zeroed to my satisfaction I shot a few 3 shot groups at 100 yards off of my home made rest and sandbags. These groups were averaging around 3/4". I marked the holes in the 3 targets and attached my Swivel Harris BR Model Bypod, and shot 3 more shots into each of the 3 groups.

Well I definately shoot better off of a Bypod than I do my home made rest. The average for the 3 - 3 shot groups I shot off of the bypod was slightly under 5/8". The surprising part was the point of impact didn't change what so ever. The end result was 3 - 6 shot groups that measured between 3/4" and 1" shooting off of two entirely different rests with half of the shots in each group.

Just as I was going to put the .30-30 AI away, believe it or not, but a woodchuck wandered out of the brush and stood not 10 feet from my target stand. Well I have never been one to pass up a golden opportunity to smack a VARMINT, so I promptly slipped a .30-30 AI Cartridge loaded with a 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip into the chamber. Since I had the bypod still on the Contender this was childs play. I lined up the crosshairs and touched the 2 1/2 lb trigger. At the shot the Woodchuck was launched into the air, and landed about 5 feet behind where it was standing when I shot. The woodchuck was all but torn in half by the 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. Yep I think the .30-30 AI / 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips will work for VARMINTS.

I then dug out the Super 14 Match Grade .22 LR Contender. Since I have had the AO on this scope modified by Burris so it can be made to be parallax free at 50 feet for shooting at our indoor shooting range I wanted to see where I had to set the AO for Parallax Free Viewing at 100 yards (I had not previously shot this handgun at 100 yards). I hung new targets and proceeded to shoot 4 - 5 shot groups at 100 yards with BULK Winchester X-Pert Hollow Points (my Gopher ammo). Now this is not the most accurate ammo in this barrel, and maybe I was expecting too much. At any rate my 5 shot groups at 100 yards ran between 1 1/2" to 2". Not very good by Centerfire standards, but probably not to bad for a Rimfire. Now I just need to pick up some of it's preferred Target Ammo and repeat this test at 100 yards.

I had a fun day, but of course it would have been a lot more fun if I would have had my 6mm T/CU OTT Contender Barrel to play with also. Mike is working hard at getting caught up from his deal with the Mexican's with his other business, so hopefully won't be too long before I can wring the 6mm out.

Like a wise old man once told me "Even the worst day of Hunting or Shooting is better than the best day at WORK". So all in all I had a good day. I got my Super 14 .30-30 AI Barrel fixed (tapped the holes out and put in the oversized screws), got to do some shooting, enjoyed a beautiful day (70 degrees, sunshine and no wind) and I still have 5 hours to relax before I have to go to work.

I hope everyone else is having a good day to.

Larry

Re: Shooting today, and some info on Scope Base Screws [Re: Larry in SD] #3323 08/14/2004 9:37 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
.....and, it would have been a lot more fun if i had been there with ya!

any day above ground.....is a good day......but nuthin fun going on here right now........just pure hard LABOR.
jeeese o pete....i gotta go shoot soon!

i love these kinds of posts! ....good job larry.

ok...who's next?
if i can't shoot....gimme sumthin to read......uhhhh, when i ain't workin like a brute.

Kentucky….no place like home.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 36 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod