Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TC's and rockchucks,,,a deadly combination. #3423 08/22/2004 4:17 AM
45nut Offline OP
OP Offline
Since I am a new guy here I thought I might introduce myself by way of a handgun hunting experience of mine.
Last year I talk a friend at work into running out to a rancher friends spread for a bit if 'chuck huntin'.
He is all over that like butter on toast and we meet up on sunday morning, He hauls out his whiz-bang rem 700 223 and other sundry gear and off we go in my truck. After we top off the gas and coffee he jumps back in the cab and looks in the back seat of the ext. cab for a place to set his extra thermos and exclaims "YA forgot your RIFLE !".
"I didn't forget my guns though" I replied.
After we headed into the ranch road I pulled over and slipped my Contender from the case,and set it carefully next to me. I then reached back,grabbed my ammo box and pulled a single round from the first row and opened the TC and slipped it home,leaving the action open.
Well we drove down about 6 miles of bouncing,side to side rutted track and finally spotted the grounds I was after. Prime cliffs interspersed with bent ancient junipers and rocks. Almost a 75%grade to walk up after the shootin was done to retrieve any carcasses that didn't roll down of their own accord.

Well old buddy finally see's we are there and starts emptying his gear while I grab my bino's and sand bag. He is still getting his rifle and gear when I get my first chuck. About a 12#er @ 150 yards out,blitzed via a 40gr Nosler BT and H335. The start of a very fine day
At the end of the day his rifle accounted for 7 'chucks,my TC for 7 as well. His rifle was large and seemed quite cumbersome to gain new targets that day,while I had no problems gaining new victims going from bino's to TC. Yup,that day,in that field there was no better gun for me.
45nut

Re: TC's and rockchucks,,,a deadly combination. [Re: 45nut] #3424 08/22/2004 12:04 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
careful nut!........you're gonna make these guys think you actually know something....er sumthin.

excellent handgun experience, and i look forward to hearin more of this stuff. i love varmints, but i don't have a lot of targets around here to shoot at. i wouldn't know how to act, if i was to see 7 whistle pigs around here in a year.....let alone a day.

meet 45nut......my friend........... uhhhh, i think so, hehe

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: TC's and rockchucks,,,a deadly combination. [Re: 45nut] #3425 08/22/2004 12:39 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
Nut, Nice introduction. I'm sure over the next few months these guys will find out about the real you
It is always nice to take our little peashooters out and outdo or at least keep up with the rifle guys. Of course, I would have tried to outshoot him

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: TC's and rockchucks,,,a deadly combination. [Re: magman] #3426 08/29/2004 4:19 AM
45nut Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:

Of course, I would have tried to outshoot him

Oh,that would been rude. LOL Actually though it wasn't the gun's fault that the 'chucks weren't putting themselves in my line of fire though.

Re: TC's and rockchucks,,,a deadly combination. [Re: 45nut] #3427 08/29/2004 8:36 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Welcome aboard 45nut. Great story, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The only problem is, I wish I had been there with you. I shot my fair share of Prairie Dogs & Gophers, a few Woodchucks, but never any Rock Chucks. Last time I visited the Black Hills we actually did see a few Rock Chucks and my trigger finger was itchin something fierce.

Every year when our local shooters club holds its annual Rifle Sight in Day (usually just prior to the Youth Deer Season in September) I try to impress a few of the Rifle Shooters with my Contenders. So far I have been lucky and really been on my game on those days, and I just love hearing their remarks.

Again welcome aboard.

Larry

PS, never mind KYODE he trys to get everyone in trouble sooner or later. We just ignore him at times, but it is getting harder to do all the time.

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: TC's and rockchucks,,,a deadly combination. [Re: Larry in SD] #3428 09/06/2004 3:24 PM
45nut Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies Folks.
I really had a great time out there and popping a 'chuck with a long range handgun just makes ya feel good. It isn't any tougher really than using a rifle but it sure feels better. That's my story anyway

Re: TC's and rockchucks,,,a deadly combination. [Re: 45nut] #3429 09/06/2004 6:30 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Hey 45nut, if you promise not to tell anyone, I have always been able to shoot Handguns better than Rifles from a solid rested position. Now off hand is a different story all together.

I know the last time I was out west shooting Prairie Dogs I made some shots with the 2 Contenders I was using that seemed easy. However I tried my buddies Rifle for a couple of dogs on the same mound later in the day and missed both on the first shot.

I have always thought the limiting factor with Handguns was the Scopes we had available to us. With the advent of the 3x12x Burris LER Handgun Scope, that has lessened the difference somewhat.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod