Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why do you hunt with a handgun? #40930 12/03/2008 3:30 PM
Gary Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
Is it the challenge, simply a love of handguns, or something else?

Tell us why you enjoy hunting with a handgun.

How long have you been hunting with a handgun?

Is a handgun your primary weapon or do you also carry a rifle?

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Gary] #40931 12/03/2008 3:37 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
First, I have always loved handguns of all kinds.
I do not own a centerfire rifle.
I like the challenge of handguns.
Been hunting with handguns since late 1985 or early 1986.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Ernie] #40932 12/03/2008 4:18 PM
MS Hitman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Frankly, I believe it takes a higher level of skill to successfully take game with a handgun. I love my handguns and have had one close to me at all times for the past 30 or so years.

I enjoy using these tools for what they were meant to do. Besides, the rifle boys get really jealous when I bring my deer in and they turn up empty-handed.

For about the past 30 or so years. I grew up raising cattle and had to hunt down cow killers as well as hunting game animals. This isn't as glamorous as it sound at first blush. Handguns were just easier to carry and use.

Rifle, what's that? Seriously, I do own some rifles. I am also beginning to attempt to get the regs here in MS changed regarding primitive weapons. They currently read "rifle" and I am trying to get it changed to "firearm" so the Scout .54 caliber pistol and Contenders will be legal as long as they meet the remainder of the requirements.

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Ernie] #40933 12/03/2008 4:20 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Handguns were the 'tools of trade' for over 30yrs so handgun evolved from carrying one everyday 'on the job' to using it to hunt with. I also enjoy the challenge of getting close and then a 'little closer'.

Hunted squirrels in the early '60's with an H&R 199. Started carrying a S&W 29 while deer hunting in the 70's and after retiring, went handgun only for deer and elk. I'd say off and on I've handgun hunted close to 40yrs.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Ernie] #40934 12/03/2008 4:24 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
It all started when I was 6 years old and I shot my first handgun (My grandfathers Ruger Bear Cat). Since that day I've had a passion for handguns.
I loved the challenge and feel of accomplishment when taking an animal with a handgun. I like them because of their ease of carrying, just stick it in a holster. I also like it just because so many people have said, "You can't kill a deer with a handgun", "You can't kill a squirrel with a handgun", and so on. I just reply with, "Yeah, but, the deer and squirrel don't know that."
I have been hunting with a handgun since 1988. The handgun became my primary weapon in 1990 and I sold all my hunting rifles. The only time I hunt with a long gun now is, during Primitive weapon season. I can't legally hunt with a handgun during that 2 week spand because of the way the laws are written. If I could, I would, I just hate carrying a long gun now..KRal

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Ernie] #40935 12/03/2008 4:29 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I like all weapons, I've hunted with and own, handguns, rifles, shotguns, compound bows, traditions archery equipment, traditional muzzle loaders and cap and ball revolvers. I've always liked handguns but didn't start hunting with them for big game until about 6 or 7 years ago and after a lost buck I started carrying a rifle again as a backup but I found it was too easy to revert back when the self doubt set in so this year I started leaving the long gun at home again except at elk season when I had the mishap with my Contender. For me it's a combination of the love of handguns in general and like traditional archery it's also the challenge.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: wapitirod] #40936 12/03/2008 4:58 PM
lamina1982 Offline
addict
addict
This is only my second deer handgun season. Ive hunted with 22 pistol for squirrels for about 3 or 4 yrs now. In order to get my taurus 44mag i had to trade in my deer shotgun and sell my scooter so im solely handgun now. Its so much easier to carry and shoot, plus just as good as the shotgun. Now I ahve my encore this yr so with some new barrels in the future it will be so much more versatile. im still pretty young (26) but sighting in the 12g deer slugs every yr was getting to my shoulder. My father has never owned a handgun so not really sure how i decided i wanted to start using that-my grandfather owns tons but never really shot any. i do own 22 over 20g savage that i thought was best squirrel gun ever-until got the buckmark so now it never leaves safe-too bad i guess. It seems handgunhunting is alot like getting tattoos=you get that bug and you just cant stop.

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: lamina1982] #40937 12/03/2008 5:23 PM
spiwonka Offline
stranger
stranger
I like the challenge!! I started bowhunting four years ago and can't get enough of it. So, I decided to try handgun hunting, bought me a tender in 6.8 about a couple weeks ago. Waiting for my grip and forearm from Tony's. Then it's back into the woods. When I was younger I had several .44's, a .223 lone eagle, .22-250 striker, ,but just could'nt ever get into it. I guess I'm a little older now and have more patience then I use to. I've taken my tender hog hunting the last three times all by itself. It just seems like almost anybody can grab a rifle and shoot something, but with a handgun it takes a little more skill/patience just like bowhunting. Hopefully, I will have my first animal in a week with my tender. It don't look good for my long guns, except for my Citori 525 shotgun.

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: spiwonka] #40939 12/03/2008 6:13 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well the challenge,and I love handguns of all kinds.Previously I would carry both and with only one exception the rifle was always used.This year I shot alot to prepare and I have hunted with just a handgun most of the year.I do not have the discipline to bow hunt,and I love the smell of gunpowder and now that I have taken a deer while only carrying a pistol my confidence is better.It also makes me hunt and not be lazy.With my rifle if I can get to within 500yards of a crossing or corridor area I could kill deer.But now I have to get in closer and actually enjoy what nature has to offer.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: spiwonka] #40940 12/03/2008 6:16 PM
hunlee Offline
addict
addict
Prymary weapon of Hunlee is bow an arrow!!!!!!Contender come in second!!!!!Hunlee got sick of shooting rifle and shooting rifle was very easy for Hunlee,,,Hunlee kill countless animal with rifle and rifle shooting wasunt challangeing annamore for Hunlee!!!!!Since changeing over to Contender shooting an Hunting Hunlee has ben very sucessfull aswell!!!!!Just more fun an the animal donot no they been shot with 375 Windchester Contender of Hunlee

hunlee

Hunlee is friend to all,,,Is a lover not a fighter and has fathered many children!!!!
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Gary] #40942 12/03/2008 6:42 PM
TonyinKY Offline
Besides the challenge and love of handguns which we all must share, I find simply carring a hunting handgun a pleasure over carring a long gun. I mostly carry a Super Redhawk w/ Bushnell 2-6X & flip-up scope covers tucked into a modified nylon holster on my belt. Here's my TOP 4 REASONS TO HANDGUN HUNT!
#4 I feel my rig is more protected from the harsh weather. A long hunting jacket can be pulled down over the holster when carring or tuck the handgun under your coat front when on the stand.
#3 I think my scope is less likely to take abuse & being knocked off alignment. A real plus when on my 4-wheeler and also when I need both hands to pull my myself up a hill or fight through brush.
#2 Handgun hunting allows me to enjoy the outdoors more. I have my pistol in a holster and my hands are free. I can bend down and pick up a leaf to check wind direction. I can dig in my pocket and get jerky from last years kill. I can brush new fallen leaves out of the way to check for new/old sign.
#1 Come to think of it, maybe I'm just a kid again kicking around the woods and if I see something to shoot, I'll bust it.

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Gary] #40945 12/03/2008 7:12 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
OK, I'm real comfortable here on the green couch. Well doctor, I think it all started as a kid, I was always the..........

Sorry
I guess this is not a soul search... LOL<LOL I always like handguns, so I got my pistol permit as soon as I could and went out and bought a DW 357 MAX. The first day of deer season I carried it on my hip and the shotgun in my hands. By noon I was tired of the long gun banging into the handgun. I left the shotgun back at the house when we ate lunch and I have never harvested an animal since with a long gun. I got two deer that year and have been hooked ever since. I don't even own a centerfire long gun any more. I traded the last two off for a handgun.

The challenge and the feeling of accomplishment to use a short gun is what drives me. I also have a little collector in me and I enjoy (love) handguns.

I have been handgun hunting for 17 years.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: hunlee] #40946 12/03/2008 7:18 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
I have been drawn to handguns since before I could legally own one. I've been hunting with them exclusively for the last 8 years. I love the mechanical simplicity, the challenge, and the ability to hunt "lightly" with iron-sighted single action revolvers. This year I'm hunting for the first time with my new-to-me FA PG 44. There's nothing like hunting deer up close and personal with such a perfect gun. In short, iron-sighted single action and quarry under 50 yds. is my kind of hunting.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: bisleyfan44] #40950 12/03/2008 8:46 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
I guess I have been fascinated with Handguns ever since I shot one for the first time. I was about 7 - 8 years old. My dad's nephews used to come out from the Minneapolis / St Paul area every fall to hunt Pheasants. One of dad's nephews brought along a GI 1911 Colt .45 ACP one year. In those days we couldn't hunt Pheasants before noon, so that morning Lyle was plinking with his 1911 .45. I begged and begged him to let me shoot it. He was plinking at an old bucket and he finally agreed to let me shoot it. Well low and behold I hit the bucket, even though the .45 darn near knocked me on my butt. I was HOOKED.

A few years later my brother (15 years older than me) bought a High Standard Nickel Plated Double Nine .22 LR Revolver. I couldn't begin to tell you how many thousand rounds of .22 LR Ammo I put through that old revolver. The when I was old enough to legally purchase a handgun I bought a Liberty Mustang Single Action .22 LR Revolver.

I mainly just shot revolvers, either just plinking, target shooting or shooting gophers. Then in the late 70's I started reading Bob Milek's exploits of hunting with these new fangled guns, T/C Contenders and Remington XP-100's. After Deer Season in 1982 I sold every long gun I owned and bought a T/C Super 14 Contender in .223 Remington and outfitted it with a 7x Burris IER Handgun Scope and a Remington XP-100 7mm BR that I had rechambered to 7mm I.H.M.S.A. and outfitted it with a 4x Redfield Handgun Scope.

Things have not been the same since. There have been more different T/C Contenders, Remington XP-100's and Savage Strikers in my house since 1982 than I care to admit to.

Yes there have been a few long guns around my house from time to time since 1982, and I have even hunted with them a time or two. Curently the only Rifles I own are a couple .22's and my Bushmaster AR-15.

I guess for me I like the portability of these Handguns. I'd much rather carry a 5 pound scoped Contender than a 8 1/2 pound scoped rifle all day. I also feel that with a good rest I can shoot one of these single shot handguns as good or better than I can shoot a Rifle.

Over the years I have had the very good fortune of being able to harvest quite a number of Whitetail Deer, Varmints, Coyotes and Prairie Dogs with Single Shot Handguns. No one ever told me Hunting with Single Shot Handguns would be easy, but it sure has been interesting.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Larry in SD] #40952 12/03/2008 9:08 PM
nighttrain Offline
stranger
stranger
I to love the challenge of using a hand gun. The venison always taste so much better when taken with my .44 . I can't wait till next season all ready ! I found at a very early age that hand gunning came easy for me . I started shooting my dad's single 6 .22 one day and loved it ever since .

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: nighttrain] #40960 12/03/2008 10:27 PM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
I like the challenge. I just started really getting into it this past year. I got really bored with rifles. Rifles just seemed way to easy. Actually thinking of getting rid of them for some new handguns. The handgun is very versatile, and lightweight. I have strictly hunted with the 44 this year. Still haven't bagged one with it but after Dec. 6 it is either or. I am going to have practice for running targets. I am surrounded by hunt clubs and the deer are just flat stretched out! I have only shot 2 deer in my life that were in front of dogs. Honestly, I don't care for it at all.

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Jeremy] #40964 12/03/2008 11:40 PM
pter1020k Offline
addict
addict
1 i am facinated with handguns
2 they are easier to carry
3 i like the challenge

Genesis chapter 1 verse 26

When shooting a single shot their are no warning shots.

Keith
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Gary] #40965 12/03/2008 11:42 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Gary

Cuz they make me look skinnier and matches my hunting outfits better!
;\)

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Dan B.] #40968 12/04/2008 12:09 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Dan B.

;\)

what you got one that's pink with yellow flowers on it?

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: wapitirod] #40970 12/04/2008 12:31 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod

;\)

Yep...check the HS Precision new color selection...it's listed under the "don't ask, don't tell...HOT new colors for 2009" link.
;\)

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: wapitirod] #40971 12/04/2008 12:33 AM
DAHLTAILS Offline
I shot my first handgun when I was in 5th grade. It took until last year for me to get my own handgun to hunt with. I have been a bowhunting most of my life. When I started gun hunting with a shotgun I shot a 10 pointer the first year. I didn't get that fierd up about it and wished that I would of had my bow. I was more fired up when I shot my first doe with a bow. I have always love the challenge of bowhunting and gettin close to the game. Last year I decided to tale up the challenege of handgun hunting and I would never turn back. I got my first deer with my ruger this fall. It was only a doe,but I had to prove myself. The hunting party that I hunt with said that it was not an effective wepon to take deer with. I proved them wrong. I love the challenge it reminds me of bowhunting. I will never own a rifle or turn back to my shotgun.

44 MAG RUGER REDHAWK
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: DAHLTAILS] #40973 12/04/2008 12:35 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Dan, that paints quite the picture. LOL

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Gary] #40981 12/04/2008 12:55 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Because I can!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Dan B.] #40983 12/04/2008 1:03 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod

;\)

Yep...check the HS Precision new color selection...it's listed under the "don't ask, don't tell...HOT new colors for 2009" link.
;\)

Hey Dan, I just went and looked at thier site and I don't see that link.
;\)

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: hunlee] #40985 12/04/2008 1:09 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I bought my first handgun in 1974. It was a series 70 Colt 45acp.
Then came a Python and then a S&W mod 34 in 22lr.I was a paper puncher and these were the only guns that I owned.In the early 80`s my boss, who was a Pennsylvania deer hunter, asked me if I wanted to hunt with him. I told him that I don`t have any rifles or shotguns, only handguns. He replied that Penn. allows handgun hunting and my 357 Python was enough gun. I picked up some Winchester 158gr JHP`s and loved it ever since.I remember shooting boar with a scoped 270 rifle and thinking how easy this was compared to using a handgun. Its in my blood and hear to stay.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: hunlee] #41001 12/04/2008 1:50 AM
gene Offline
I like pistol first.Shotgun second.Rifle third.My dad & uncle hunted bear longer than I have been in this world. Around the late 60's my uncle switched to a smith 357.I watched him shoot pine cones one day and it hooked me bad. I hunted both ways from the 70's until the 1990 and went hard on the handgun side since then.By the way I went to see my uncle last month and he has alheimers?, he still has the same gun and has killed many bears and turkeys with it.I sure would like to have it, but already taken.

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: gene] #41013 12/04/2008 3:27 AM
lamina1982 Offline
addict
addict
heck Larry in SD, i was born in 1982!!!

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: lamina1982] #41027 12/04/2008 4:27 AM
BINGO Offline
addict
addict
My father got me curious w/the handgun & my service time made me a handgun nut. I started handgun only in 1992. It's the challenge combined w/the love of a handgun. I used to hunt modern archery too. But it kinda boors me. I'm going to try primitive next year. The handguns will always be prefered though.

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: BINGO] #41031 12/04/2008 4:34 AM
lhunter03 Offline
addict
addict
For me , its a drive. Something inside that just craves everything handgun. To me it's as big as it gets. I just think that a handgun kill is a big deal, and nothing to scoff at.

Lars

Lars

.357 maxi, .375 win, 30-30 ackley, .450 marlin, and anything else that goes boom!!!
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: lhunter03] #41032 12/04/2008 4:56 AM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
I shot a handgun for the first time when I was about 8 or 9 and like it. I then shot a few throughout the years. Then when I was a cop I got really into them. Then about 1996 I started hunting with them but used my rifle most of the time. Then after I finally put down my rifle in 1998 and started hunting with the handgun only. I like it because it's fun, easy to carry. I don't really even look at the challenge as part of it, because I just look at it as the way I hunt. rupe

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: rupe] #41085 12/04/2008 7:13 PM
larry223 Offline
addict
addict
i would have to say the fun of it my brother hunts with a handgun
and he really got me started i messed around with handguns
but not alot until he showed me how much fun it is.
larry

tc,s 223 35rem 7-30 waters 6.5jdj 375
30/30ai 6mm/223 22lr
encores 7mm-08 308
redhawk 44mag.
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: larry223] #41089 12/04/2008 7:30 PM
Montanan Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I had hunting with a Ruger RH several years ago, but never killed anything while hunting with it. So this year because of my shoulder injury, I had decided to hunt with a handgun again because I could not bowhunt. I bowhunt to get as close as I can to the game I am persuing as it is more of a challange.

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Montanan] #41132 12/05/2008 3:12 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Memories… with my Dad… He loved TC’s and I was hooked into traditional black powder and TC’s before the age of 12. Still hunt with both.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: TCTex.] #41208 12/06/2008 1:26 AM
riggeruwz Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I started hunting with a handgun to do something different. Then I started visiting this site, and now I do it 'cause everybody else does it. I like telling people I hunt with a pistol. They always have questions.

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Gary] #41335 12/07/2008 3:35 PM
Encore307 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Hey guys its been a while since I have posted anything here but I have read about why do you hangun hunt . Well I started hunting with my dad when I was 5 yrs old , we only hunted Pheasant and qail in Kansas where I grew up. Never saw a deer untill I was 14 yrs old. I was squirrel hunting with my very first puchase of a gun , a .22 rifle . We moved to South Dakota and at 15yrs I took up bowhunting . At the age of 19 bought my first rifle and killed my first buck in Wyoming , this is when the true obsession took over. The next year My preacher came to my house and had a brand new Contender Super 14 30-30 w/ a leupold 4x scope and I bought it from him after the first shot. Used that Contender to take over 20 head of game and then moved to Georgia and things really slowed down. You had to have a lease in Ga to see good bucks and there wasnt money for that so I took up bowhunting again and sold my pistol to pay some bills. This way I could hunt public land and have a better chance of killing deer. This lasted about 15 years and got the bug for another handgun ,so I traded a 30-30/12ga Handi-gun for a 10"30-30 Contender and started to hunt some private land . In 2002 I bought my first Encore and now have 2 Encore frames and 2 Contender frames .My deer hunting has improved greatly and this year has been my best so far with my SPs . I have taken 5 deer this year, 1 with my 7-30 Waters MGM barrel and 4 with my factory 14" .357 max .
This is the reason why i hunt with a handgun , it is the experiance and the outdoors that keeps me in the woods and I use the knowledge of a bowhunter to find deer and set up on them for my handguns .

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Encore307] #41500 12/09/2008 4:21 AM
ranger140892 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I've always loved handgun hunting even when my parents protested because they feared I'd have cripples roaming the farm. That was 26 years ago.

Now that I'm older and my dominant eye is going south, handguns provide a delightful advantage in that I can fire right handed and easily use my left eye to sight. Can't do that with a shoulder gun.

Last edited by ranger140892; 12/09/2008 4:23 AM.
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: hunlee] #41524 12/09/2008 4:00 PM
Boartuff Offline
addict
addict
The added challenge and self commending aspect of filling a tag with a handgun compares to no other form of hunting in my opinion. The ease of carrying a lighter firearm is a big positive as well.

My first handgun was a 6" Taurus in .357 Mag which I scoped immediately as I do not care for iron sights on any of my guns. Within a very short time I was confident enough to do a wild boar hunt with the Taurus and got my hog the first day. Albeit, I was new to hog hunting as well as handgun hunting, I didn't understand that the .357 Mag is a marginal choice for hogs, but none the less, I placed the bullet right into pump station at 40 yards on my first shot, and the boar was down.

Next up, which to this day I wish I had done it a bit differently. I traded the Taurus in on a new Encore in 7mm-08. Due to being so "in touch" with my Taurus, I wish that I had merely paid for the Encore outright and kept the Revolver, too.

At any rate, I didn't do anymore handgun hunting for several years until 2002, when I carried the Encore to the woods and killed a nice 9 point whitetail on its first outing. Since 2002 there have been numerous oldstyle Contender and Encore pistol configurations come and go. Not to mention a dozen or so more critters that have fallen to my shortguns. And, the handgun hunting bug bites at me more and more as time goes by and they usually get the nod first, leaving the rifles in the cabinet.

~BT~
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: Gary] #41558 12/10/2008 12:57 AM
mikefrompa Offline
old hand
old hand
I started using a handgun to hunt as soon as I turned 21. My first handgun was a Ruger Security Six in .357 mag.I then stepped up to a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag.It only got better from here. I had a T/C Contender in 300 savage and 375 winchester barrels. Then I bought a S&W 629 Classic and put a Burris 2x scope on it.Then came my prized handgun; a S&W XVR revolver in 460 S&W magnum. I have a 2x weaver scope on it but I bought a 4x leupold for it which I plan to put it on for next hunting season. I JUST LOVE HUNTING WITH A HANDGUN!

Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: mikefrompa] #41686 12/11/2008 2:39 AM
BJ BEAR Offline
stranger
stranger
I became hooked on handguns, particularly revolvers, because they are easier to carry than a long gun, I hate lugging around a big heavy rifle while climbing in the mountains near my home where I hunt. It's also more challenging to hunt with, I get a great feeling of accomplishment when taking an animal with my revolver, and I also show the animal more respect when it's taken at close range with my revolver than several hundred yards away with a rifle. Since I have been handgunning, I have passed on several nice "shooter" bucks because they were'nt within my comfortable range, but would have been on my wall and in my freezer if I had been shooting my rifle. And I get alot of people telling me "You should of used a rifle, then you would of gotten it!" Just this past week I saw 4 bucks, an 8, two 10's, and a 12 pt, that I would have loved to harvest, but just think how much more satisfaction I would have had if I could of taken them with my revolver. Anybody can shoot a deer with a rifle, but it takes a special breed to hunt with a handgun, and that is every one of us on this forum. I'm glad to share my experiences with fellow handgunners like y'all!

It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have!
Re: Why do you hunt with a handgun? [Re: BJ BEAR] #41713 12/11/2008 7:29 AM
handcannons Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I use to be a Bowhunter and 1n 95 I tore my right shoulder up and can't pull a bow.I had a hunt in South Africa all ready paid for so I decides I would hunt with a Rifle.Couldn't stand the recoil on my right shoulder.I read an article about Handgun Hunting with a T/C. I traded some knives I made for a Frame a 7x30 Waters Hunter barrel a 375 Win Hunter barrel a 45/70 Hunter Barrel and a 223 Hunter barrel.I traded JD Jones for a 375JDJ set up.
Went to Africa and shot 7 critters. After that I was hooked
I've since taken a few Blacktail, Mule and White Tail deer, 6 Exotics at the YO Ranch in Texas and 7 more Arican Animals

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod