Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cheap electronic scale #43624 01/01/2009 3:23 PM
HoggHunter Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I was in one of the local Gun Shops getting powder and balls, and on the counter they had an MTM electronic scale for less than thirty bucks--- does anyone have experience with one of these.... I have been thinking about upgrading my beam and all of the prospects are one hundred bucks or more, I can appreciate the difference in price when the difference is because of its ability to support peripherals- printer or dribbler, but $30 is pretty cheap as an extra......if its reliable

Re: Cheap electronic scale [Re: HoggHunter] #43634 01/01/2009 3:58 PM
mikefrompa Offline
old hand
old hand
I have 1 I bought at a gun show and it's not too bad.I think I would spend a little more money and buy a better scale from Midway(Pact or Frankford Arsenal). They are both under $100 dollars.

Re: Cheap electronic scale [Re: mikefrompa] #43638 01/01/2009 4:19 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I'd agree and go with the best you can afford, I use the Lymam DPS system which has absolutely spoiled me but a while back I went looking for a battery powered scale as a backup in case of problems with the Lyman or a power outage which are common where I'm at and I sent a couple back that were in the 50.00-60.00 range because of inconsistency issues and they would read up to a grain different than my Lyman and when I rechecked with my beam scale I found my Lyman was on the money (unless the beam scale is messed up too).

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Cheap electronic scale [Re: wapitirod] #43648 01/01/2009 4:51 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have the little Frankford Arsenal scale that Midway blew out a while ago for $20.00 down from $40.00. I don't use it for loading as it's consistant to +- .2 grains. But it does work great for weighing bullets and cases where that .2grs is not an issuue. It's a little fussy when you first start it and zero it. My loading closet is on an outside wall and in the winter it takes a few times turning it on and off and going thru the caliberation process to read consistant. It also helps to take the batteries out and hold them in your hand for a few moments to warm them up. I weigh a case and set it aside then every 10-20 cases I chaeck the "control" case and it usually reads right on. I have checked it against my Redding balance beam scale and it reads right on with the weight.

Here is the link to Midway, I see they had them on sale for $30.00 until yesterday. Keep an eye on them as the go on sale often.
Frankford Arsenal Scale

I looked really hard at the Lyman DPS when they first came out, now they are a series III and really slick. If I had a little more room one would be on my bench.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Cheap electronic scale [Re: Tigger] #43652 01/01/2009 5:12 PM
ranger140892 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Tigger, Your's too?! I have to pull my RCBS E scale out of the cabinet and let it sit for a while and re-calibrate several times before it settles down. Thought it was just me.

Re: Cheap electronic scale [Re: ranger140892] #43655 01/01/2009 5:16 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have a Lyman 1000 XP digital scale that will not hold a zero. After several attempts to use it, I went back to my RCBS 502 scale.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Cheap electronic scale [Re: ranger140892] #43658 01/01/2009 5:36 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I know that the Lyman DPS has a 30 minute warm up mode. You can bypass it and some have stated that it does not matter. But if the manufacturer has it preset to warmup it must be better for it. I will assume the load sensors need to get to an operating temp for consistancy.

What usually happens with my little scale is it will gain a little as it warms up. So I will weigh something 5 or 6 times arbitrarily then shut the scale off, restart, recalibrate and it usually works consistant from there. Like I said I use a "control" and check it every 20-30 weighs. For 20 bucks it makes weighing cases and bullets A-LOT easier than on the balance beam scale.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod