Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Deer and energy tables!! #43849 01/04/2009 6:10 AM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
This quote was pulled from the .45ACP for deer hunting thread. It just fit well with what happened to me this evening.

Originally Posted By: MS Hitman
I've yet to see a deer reading an energy table.

Apparently the one I shot this evening HAD been reading its energy tables and KNEW that a .38 Special equivalent load was NOT supposed to kill it!!!

Wifey just walked in the door as I was chatting on the phone with Tigger. She tells me of a doe laying on the berm just down the road...when she drove by the deer was flopping like crazy. I practically hang up on Tigger, grab the RBH .357 Magnum, load it with my light 158gr SWC (800fps) fodder and jump in the car.

Just down the road I find the deer laying in the grass, head raised but in rough shape. I walk over, hold the muzzle 6" from her forehead and let her have it. At the shot she slumped and started kicking like crazy. After 15 seconds it was over.

I grabbed her by the feet, throw her in the trunk and go to a local farmers house...about a ten minute drive. Henry and I pop the trunk to find the doe still breathing and starting to kick!! She calmed for a second, we grabbed her and yanked her out. As he got the gambrel ready, she kept breathing for another 5 minutes, Henry sliced her throat, and for ANOTHER five minutes she was breathing and still kicking from time to time.

Lesson of the story...I don't really know. Next time I'm just going to shoot for the heart I guess!!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Deer and energy tables!! [Re: Dan B.] #43850 01/04/2009 7:02 AM
liv2hnt460 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
In my own opinion, you can't beat a good heart/lung shot. You can shoot a deer in the brain in several locations and as long as the projectile does not inflict damage to the brain stem, the animal can live for a while as you saw. I've literally seen an adult doe (we've since named and remember her as "the doe from hell") take 3, 30-06 loads to the head and neck and keep on trucking. I don't know what was keeping her head on really. From then on, all of my finish shots have and will be heart/lung.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Re: Deer and energy tables!! [Re: liv2hnt460] #43851 01/04/2009 7:24 AM
MS Hitman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd have slid it behind the shoulder through the heart lung area and finished her off. Most people shoot too low when going for a brain shot and usually end up airing out the sinuses.

Re: Deer and energy tables!! [Re: MS Hitman] #43853 01/04/2009 9:37 AM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
We generally teach new deer hunters not to try brain shots. The actual brain cavity on a deer is very small object in a large rapidly moving structure. We always recommend a heart lung shot as the most humane.

With head shots its all to easy to miss the brain and inflict a very nasty injury which will cause the animal to die to lingering death over hours or days.

The above applies to hunting shots and not the situation of putting down an injured animal, however this incident shows the same principle may also apply.

Re: Deer and energy tables!! [Re: Walkingthemup] #43855 01/04/2009 12:34 PM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
That is a pretty funny one! You probably [censored] your pants when you opened the trunk! They are some tough critters!

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Deer and energy tables!! [Re: Walkingthemup] #43856 01/04/2009 1:21 PM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Hunter4752001
The above applies to hunting shots and not the situation of putting down an injured animal, however this incident shows the same principle may also apply.

I've head shot a few deer while rifle hunting until one time that I missed the critical area and injured a deer. That stopped that practice. For finishers, I typically shoot them from the back of the head and have the exit between the eyes. I did not do that tonight.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Deer and energy tables!! [Re: Dan B.] #43860 01/04/2009 1:53 PM
pahandgunhunter Offline

Re: Deer and energy tables!! [Re: pahandgunhunter] #43872 01/04/2009 4:26 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It happens from time to time, and not just deer. I've seen it occur with cattle, horses, dogs, just about any critter that gets hit on the roads here in Osage Co.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Deer and energy tables!! [Re: Dan B.] #43876 01/04/2009 5:50 PM
Gascheck Offline
Dan,

Your usual practise of behind the head shot is the correct approach for a brain finisher. The controling centers for breathing and heart beat are in the lower brain stem just inside the base of the skull. If you center the spine on the back of the neck and raise up slightly into the skull you will take out the brain stem destroying breathing and heart control centers. If you are a little too low you will cut the spinal cord above where the nerves to the diaphram emerge and again stopping breathing. Approach from any other angle must hit these centers or traumatize them to ensure a quick kill. I have seen humans with all matter of penetrating wounds to the head survive in the operating room where I work. However a wound to the brain stem is always lights out. That is why this shot is always pictured as a favorite of TV and Movie assassins.

Re: Deer and energy tables!! [Re: Gascheck] #43882 01/04/2009 10:21 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'd would of paid to watch,haha.I know of a fellow who shot one one time with a 270 and loaded it on the truck,tied it down to travel,before he got to his destination,he had to cut it loose from the truck,don't know if that deer was ever killed.Another fellow,Mr.Rich,an old boss man of man carried around 2 hoof impressions on his chest for a while from a deer that didn't read tables and this deer was shot with a 45-70.I figure they are a lot like people,some have a severe will to live and others don't.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod