Next Thread
Print Thread
Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? #45012 01/17/2009 5:04 PM
SChunter Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
OK gents,

Getting into dangerous territory here, but shortly after buying my first Encore in pistol configuration, I have the sudden urge to acquire a bolt-action pistol as well. Not because of any insufficiency, but just, well, cause...

So let's hear it from the XP, Striker, and Weatherby shooters out there - I have only shot a rear-gripped XP in the past, but do you (or why do you) favor one grip style over the other? Is it a question of feel, or function?

This may or may not matter, but looking into deer-sized caliber configuration for hunting primarily, not bench-shooting.

The sickness continues...

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: SChunter] #45015 01/17/2009 5:43 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Really it is a matter of preference.
Do have anyone you know, that has a center-grip you could play with?

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: Ernie] #45022 01/17/2009 5:57 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The centergrip offers a better balance. My 284 XP handles much like a smaller handgun, just as my Competitor and Striker. Although the Striker is more of a compromise between rear and center. You have a rear grip gun in the Encore, a rear grip bolt will be somewhat similar to that. Recoil is much different between rear and center, with the centergrip having more flip due to it's leverage point. It really depends on what you plan to do with it, but I prefer a centergrip.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: s4s4u] #45029 01/17/2009 8:09 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I much prefer the balance and feel of a center grip. I did try a rear grip stock on an XP many years ago, after a couple years experience with center grips, but quickly discarded it. It is true that there is a bit more muzzle rise with a center grip, but the improved balance more than makes up for it, in my view.
The center grip also makes it easier in field positions to use the upper magnifications on scopes such as the Burris 3-12X, because it puts the glass closer to your eye without unduly bending your arm.
The grip of the Savage Super Striker is almost, but not quite, as good as the center grip XP for me. Then again, the Savage needs wheels.
If all one is going to do with the bolt gun is to shoot off sandbags, and not hunt from field positions, a properly built rear grip gun is probably a bit steadier.

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: SChunter] #45033 01/17/2009 8:21 PM
SCOTTx88 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Zactly,the Sickness. Love my Repeaters.I've got an Encore too,haven't really played with the center grips/single shots much.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” Karl Marx/BHO
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: SCOTTx88] #45052 01/17/2009 11:55 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
schunter,
I have always preferred the center-grips for hunting. If you are going to be shooting off-hand with a bolt rig I would say center for sure.
Since 90%+ of my hunting is doen from the prone or other rested position the rear grip also wporks for me as well.
My son and I shot 4 antelope this year using a rear-grip (with a riflescope as well) without a problem. My son also shot a muley buck with the same handgun-no problems.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: Ernie] #45055 01/18/2009 12:23 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
It's very hard to compare Encores/Contenders w/ rear grip bolt guns eventhough both are considered "rear" grip. The bolt guns are MUCH longer and harder to balance IMO. To be fair though, I have fired both style bolt guns from bench rest but only spent time in field shooting situations w/ center grip guns.

It did take some time to get used to after hunting with Contenders for nearly ten years. But after the field shooting learning curve was starting to take hold, I find the center grip guns very easy to handle and get in the ready position.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: Dan B.] #45068 01/18/2009 3:44 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I like my center grips more than the rear grips. Better balance in the field.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: Tigger] #45071 01/18/2009 4:04 AM
dorson Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Here is a stupid question
Which hand do you shoot the bolt action pistols from?I see in Ernies picture he is using his left.But are you left handed or is that just how they are shot because of the bolt location?
dorson

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: dorson] #45073 01/18/2009 4:23 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'm right handed and shoot right handed.

I know Ernie is left handed.

NRA Life Member

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: dorson] #45074 01/18/2009 4:24 AM
ranger140892 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I love center grip XP's. But I wouldn't turn down a good deal on a rear grip.

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: dorson] #45076 01/18/2009 5:11 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Which hand do you shoot the bolt action pistols from?

Same hand as all the other guns. You should be shooting with the eye, rather than the hand. Whichever hand is directly in front of your dominant eye should be your shootin' hand. Most folks are handed the same way as they're eyed, but a few of us are all messed up. I am left handed and right eyed so I learned to shoot with my right hand 'cause my eye wasn't crossing over. So whichever side the bolt is on should not have any bearing on which hand you squeeze with, FWIW.

Rod, too.

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: dorson] #45079 01/18/2009 5:48 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: dorson
Here is a stupid question
Which hand do you shoot the bolt action pistols from?I see in Ernies picture he is using his left.But are you left handed or is that just how they are shot because of the bolt location?
dorson

I am left-handed and left-eye dominant.
I can also shoot right-handed though

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: Ernie] #45112 01/18/2009 3:21 PM
dorson Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Well it sure looks mighty uncomfortable for right handers to use the bolt,I guess its the same disadvantage of a leftie with a bolt action rifle.

dorson

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: dorson] #45113 01/18/2009 3:42 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Well it sure looks mighty uncomfortable for right handers to use the bolt,I guess its the same disadvantage of a leftie with a bolt action rifle.

dorson

With the center grip XP's it a single shot option. I have adapted to where I can reload quite fast. Like anything that's odd you can adapt to it.

The Striker is nice with the magazine and a left bolt for the right handed shooter.

NRA Life Member

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: Tigger] #45115 01/18/2009 3:56 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: Tigger
[quote=dorson]Well it sure looks mighty uncomfortable for right handers to use the bolt,I guess its the same disadvantage of a leftie with a bolt action rifle.

dorson

With the center grip XP's it a single shot option. I have adapted to where I can reload quite fast. Like anything that's odd you can adapt to it.

The Striker is nice with the magazine and a left bolt for the right handed shooter. [/quote

I agree, but Savage didn't, I guess
;\)

Last edited by 1948ER; 01/18/2009 3:58 PM.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: dorson] #45120 01/18/2009 4:35 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist

Actually it really isn't a big disadvantage. You can either grasp the forend with the left and work the bolt with your right, or like I do, tilt the gun to the left and reach over with the off hand to work the bolt and drop in the new round. It is no slower than the Contender, IMO.

Rod, too.

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: s4s4u] #45133 01/18/2009 6:04 PM
sscoyote Offline
addict
addict
The only exception i take with the center grips is that the eye relief on the 3-12x Burris @ 12x is too long when shooting prone off a bipod to get a full FOV. This is a position i get into often while hunting. The way i get around this some is to mount the optic as far forward as possible using a Farrel Picatinny-style base with extra slots milled in it.

Steve
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: s4s4u] #45135 01/18/2009 6:17 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
On the bench or ground in the prone position I rest the palm of my left hand on the scope and "catch" the case as it comes out of the ejection port with my left hand fingers. Exchange spent with loded case with the right hand and close the bolt. The left hand on the scope keeps the gun stable in the bags.

Standing in the field I tip the gun on it's right side and cradle it with my left hand, thunb under the stock and fingers over the ejection port and scope. Work the bolt with the right, catch the case in my left hand, exchange the spent case with new one in right pocket with right hand. Rotate the gun in an upright position and close the bolt with the right hand on the new round.

NRA Life Member

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: sscoyote] #45143 01/18/2009 6:45 PM
ranger140892 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: sscoyote
The only exception i take with the center grips is that the eye relief on the 3-12x Burris @ 12x is too long when shooting prone off a bipod to get a full FOV. This is a position i get into often while hunting. The way i get around this some is to mount the optic as far forward as possible using a Farrel Picatinny-style base with extra slots milled in it.

Yeah, when I switched to a Burris 3-12 I had to change to a TPS pic type extension base to get the right eye releif.

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: Tigger] #45145 01/18/2009 6:48 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Quote:
It is no slower than the Contender

i'd enter that race.
with cartridges on the wrist....i'd be hard to beat.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: KYODE] #45149 01/18/2009 6:55 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
What is scary Kyode is that I also know how you shoot. I have seen too many pictures of you next to dead critters not to hold your own! But here is the key, you have both practiced this activity until is basically memorized muscle movement. As a musician, that is what I do every time I pick up my tuba. Practice makes perfect, but perfect practice makes perfect performance. Use the snap caps and use them often! That is the reason you bought them!!!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: TCTex.] #45155 01/18/2009 8:21 PM
dorson Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Whoops,
I know nothing about these types firearms and as such better just read and stay quiet .I guess I assumed the rear gripped ones had a trap door type box mag and the center gripped units would use a magazine of some type in the grip,thinking more rounds was the advantage over the TC type guns.I believe I Must have forgot that single shot bolt guns exist,obviously running mouth/fingers with out brain engaged.Back in the background noise for me.
dorson

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: ranger140892] #45248 01/19/2009 6:12 PM
sscoyote Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: ranger140892
 Originally Posted By: sscoyote

Yeah, when I switched to a Burris 3-12 I had to change to a TPS pic type extension base to get the right eye releif.

Hey Ranger, what is the TPS system, and how much farther forward does it allow u to mount the optic? With the Farrell, i can get 1.59" ahead of the front of the action (not recoil lug) from the center of the front ring. Will the TPS get me furether forward than that? I could still use another 1/2" or so.

IMO this is a real issue with the center grips and the 3-12x Burris. I bet a lot of guys shoot it from the bench, get a good load going and when they put a Harris bipod on it and try to use it from prone on game, they all of a sudden get a big surprise.

I love that optic for longer-range shooting in the field for it's compact design, ballistic reticle and tgt. turret capability to extend ranges even beyond 1000 yds. It only needs 1 real thing, and that's side parallax. 30mm would be nice, but honestly not needed, IMO. Just shorten the ER and i'd be a happy hunter.

Steve
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: sscoyote] #45253 01/19/2009 7:27 PM
ranger140892 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
SSCOYOTE,

I'm at work so I can't measure it now but there's a photo of that XP floating on the forum. It's probably right at 1.5".
http://www.tacticalprecision.com

Last edited by ranger140892; 01/19/2009 7:28 PM.
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: dorson] #45265 01/19/2009 9:22 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Whoops,
I know nothing about these types firearms and as such better just read and stay quiet .I guess I assumed the rear gripped ones had a trap door type box mag and the center gripped units would use a magazine of some type in the grip,thinking more rounds was the advantage over the TC type guns.I believe I Must have forgot that single shot bolt guns exist,obviously running mouth/fingers with out brain engaged.Back in the background noise for me.
dorson

Don't even for a second think that you should not ask questions. That's how we learn from each other. Someone posts how they do it and it might be something that will work for me that I had never thought of or can modify what I'm doing to make it better or easier. I keep an open mind and learn things all the time.

NRA Life Member

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: Tigger] #45271 01/19/2009 10:06 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Very well put Tig!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: TCTex.] #45348 01/20/2009 3:27 PM
huntkng Offline
addict
addict
Shot both...like the center grip better.

Bill in OR

Re: Bolt action pistols - Center Grip vs Rear? [Re: huntkng] #45596 01/23/2009 6:07 PM
WolfTrap Offline
SC,
There's one item every handgun hunter goes through....carrying your rig out in the field.
Holsters!
1. Hip holster drags your pants down half the time?
2. Side shoulder holster makes for a week of swore ribs.
3. Backpacking in to your stand may upset some Game/Forrest Ranger?
Having most single shot pistols made in the past 30 years and hunted with some...here's my suggesting: Keep the over all length/width with or without scope as short as possible and carry it chest mounted Bandoleer! Really makes for a healthy body the following week after the hunt!
Guess all my bantering points to middle grip, maybe?
WolfTrap

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 67 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod