Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
to scope or not to scope? #46496 02/05/2009 6:31 PM
lance Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
For a new handgun hunter such as myself, would a scope be a better way to start than iron sights? I hate the idea of putting a scope on my handgun, but if it will be a big help I may want to consider one. I will be using it to hunt the piney woods of north east texas and shots will be close <50yds. Will a scope help or hurt when buck fever really sets in?

Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: lance] #46497 02/05/2009 6:39 PM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
I scope all of my handguns due to elderly eyes and my tendency to be taking longer shots here in Colorado. I'd say practice without a scope if you don't care to have one on your handgun and evaluate your accuracy during practice. Take shots at game only at the distance that you feel proficient at.

Recoil

Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: lance] #46499 02/05/2009 6:57 PM
boonyrat Offline
look into a dot type sight,seems to be gaining in popularity.especially at the distance you specify,unless you feel good about your capability's with iron sights.
ive got a sbh hunter ordered now and i have my ultra dot in the safe waiting on the gun to get here. its all personal preference,saw on the bragging board that awesome buck gary killed with a open sighted revolver!

if it ain't broke....give me a minute!
Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: boonyrat] #46501 02/05/2009 7:08 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I understand your dilema, I like the looks of my single actions without scopes much better plus they are more compact and lighter to carry. I must say though the scopes will make you a much better shot and increase your effective range alot. I think alot of it depends on your hunting conditions, if you are in a tree stand hunting white tails and most of your shots are within bow range then go iron but if you may have to stretch a shot then I'd go with the scope. You will also gain the benefit of light gathering from the scope making it easier to shoot effectively up until the last legal minute.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: lance] #46503 02/05/2009 7:59 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
What kind of handgun? This was my answer to the SBH Bisley:

I have a similar setup on S-Six and my Knight Hawkeye ML pistol, and will on more when I can.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: s4s4u] #46508 02/05/2009 10:28 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I recommend using a scope or dot sight for a new handgun hunter (unless he is very experienced as a target shooter with open sights). In my humble opinion, the move (restriction) to hunting with open sights comes after some experience hunting with a better sight and when one is looking for a bigger challenge. I find it difficult enough to put the shot exactly where I want it with the aid of a scope. Without a scope, one must be willing to pass on more potential opportunities.

My personal opinion is that the best first step for a rifle hunter who is moving to handguns is a scoped single-shot. When that one becomes boring, move to a scoped revolver (much more difficult for me than the contenders). If that is still not challenging enough, take the scope off. However, for me most factory open sights are not adequate for the accuracy that I demand from a hunting handgun (I make no claim to be an expert with open sights). Conversely, I know individuals who can shoot "lights-out" with factory sights. I cannot.

Thus, I am not sure that s single recommendation will ever suffice. Too much depends upon the individual who holds the gun.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: wtroper] #46516 02/06/2009 2:30 AM
BIGSTEVE83 Offline
s4s4u, If I may ask where did you get those sights and do they have them for smiths.

I got just what those zombie's need right here!
Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: BIGSTEVE83] #46527 02/06/2009 4:40 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: BIGSTEVE83
s4s4u, If I may ask where did you get those sights and do they have them for smiths.

One Ragged Hole

Not for S&W tho. If enough people asked them for it, who knows.

The front is a Marble's and I don't think they do Smith either.

Rod, too.

Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: s4s4u] #46536 02/06/2009 12:05 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I personally don't like scopes on handguns -- hard for me to acquire, particularly if you need to make a snap-shot offhand. I like open sights and I LOVE red dots. Red dots are great in low-light situations and the Ultradot 30 I have on my .475 has taken the abuse of that cannon, and it is $139.00 shipped, with a lifetime warranty.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: Whitworth] #46584 02/07/2009 3:17 AM
RUG1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
s4s4u,
I went to Marbles website, I notice they have a rear peep sight listed, would you have any idea to how it might compare to the One Ragged Hole sights?
Thank you ,I do like that idea.
I like open sights ,but I witnessed my cousin make a impressive shot with a 2x scope on his FA 454 at about 125 yards on a button buck. I can see where a scope could be handy sometimes,but I like the "feel" of open sights.

Freedom is a gift, paid for by blood. Given for all to receive.
Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: RUG1] #46585 02/07/2009 3:24 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Marble's makes the rear sights for carbines and such. They are not applicable to revolvers. I'm not much help with S&W, I've never owned one. I have several Rugers so if you ever come around, give a holler ;-)

Rod, too.

Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: s4s4u] #46586 02/07/2009 3:31 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: RUG1] #46605 02/07/2009 4:25 PM
WolfTrap Offline
My sixty year old eyes have a fondness for Ultra Dot LT's for both single-shot and wheel guns.
Nothing...up to 50/60 yards will get away as long as I have a couple of seconds to line up shot!
Plus I have a couple of old style aimpoints on top of hardcore XP's and they've never lost their zero's unless there's slight lot change in favorite powder?
One more item....glass works great at the range....suck in shaded wood and bush!
Hope my 2 cents helps,
WolfTrap
Word of Wisdom:Never...I mean never get between a sow and her piglets...cause no matter how fast you think you on the draw..she'll look one big fat blur trying to take out your legs...sheesh!

Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: WolfTrap] #46626 02/08/2009 1:14 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Lance....SCOPE IT!!! I scope darn near everything. My wife thinks I'm nut cuz I want to scope the kids water guns and her fly swatter!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: Dan B.] #46705 02/09/2009 12:59 AM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well here is my 2 cents worth.If 50 yards and less and chances of the deer stopping for a shot are slim,do not scope it.If shot can be had at standing still deer and the range could be longer scope it.I have a difficult time picking deer up in my scope if they are constantly moving,say crossing a path.However if the deer is at a feeding station of some sorts and is standing still the scope has its advantages.My preference..unscoped.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: to scope or not to scope? [Re: cottonstalk] #46710 02/09/2009 1:10 AM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
I took the scopes off of both my Super 14's, 30-30 and 45-70 and replaced them with UltraDots. I used them this past season for deer and elk but didn't get to drop the hammer. I did shoot a handful of jack rabbits with the 30-30. I don't use shooting sticks so I like the steadyness of the dots and they are real nice for close moving targets. The Burris 7X will always be stay on .223 though......

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod