Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TX ram #46766 02/10/2009 12:04 AM
Boartuff Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I'd been in TX for few days for work related training and once completed, I was looking for some entertainment to fill in time before heading home. I located a hog and exotic hunting ranch within a short drive, called the manager and arranged to be given a tour of the property.

Upon arrival at North Texas Outfitters, I knew right away that it was a well run, friendly operation and fell in love with the place. We rode around in the Suburban and saw alot of great animals. Aoudad, Sika deer, several species of rams, water buffalo, fallow deer, hogs and blackbuck were just a few of the critters seen.

My stay was short due to some ranch duties the manager, Don Wade, had to tend to, so I departed for my motel, though vowing to return for a hunt another day.

Well, I couldn't stay away long and on my last day before catching a plane home, I decided to go back to NTO. The plan was just to hang out with the manager but, since I was already there....yeah, right.

I tried Don's .41 mag new model Blackhawk pistol at the range, but couldn't even hit an 8x10 piece of paper at 30 yds with the iron sights. So, I took a rifle ( against my will, of course ) , a Rem. model 788 in 222 Rem. I'm sure the Ruger was fine, I'm just not practiced enough with open sighted handguns, I'd rather have a scope.

Don dropped me and two archery hunters off at our stands, and promised to pick us up in a couple hours. The bowhunters had gotten together later on and decided to do some spot and stalk hunting in search of deer. Along their route they spotted a nice group of rams and knowing that's what I was seeking, called me and offered to see if they could get me within range. Good idea, thanks Randy and Jerry!

We hiked a dry creek bed and made our way through some think underbrush before spotting the group. I was attempting to decide which one to try for when an awesome Corsican appeared and I didn't have to think much longer on this one!

He was a great full curled ram with nice thickness to his horns and I made the shot with the little ole 222, hitting the mark nicely. The ram tumbled over within just a few yards. The first ram in my quest for a Texas Ram Slam, which is an award or distinction given to those who have harvested a Mouflon, Texas Dall, Black Hawaiian, and Corsican rams.

I left my ram at the ranch to be mounted and shipped to me. The manager's wife, Melanie, is the on-site taxidermist and does great work as evidenced by the numerous mounts of all kinds in her shop and on the walls of the main lodge.

The evening of my hunt I sat in another stand overlooking a feeder just to see what showed up and take some photos. A beautiful Painted Desert ram with 3/4 curl's came within 10 yds, a terrific shot for a pistol and all I had was the Fugi!

~BT~
Re: TX ram [Re: Boartuff] #46774 02/10/2009 1:33 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
EXCELLENT!!!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: TX ram [Re: Tigger] #46775 02/10/2009 1:51 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If you do not mind my asking was the cost reasonable?

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: TX ram [Re: H2OBUG] #46791 02/10/2009 3:51 AM
Boartuff Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
PM to ya, Bug.

~BT~
Re: TX ram [Re: Boartuff] #46900 02/11/2009 9:36 PM
ClayFHT Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Doesn’t sound like a bad deal!! That is a nice ram. He should make a nice mount.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not."
Thomas Jefferson

The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.
General Dwight Eisenhower
Re: TX ram [Re: ClayFHT] #47010 02/13/2009 9:24 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Boar, Great hunt.Know the feeling when you have game that you could probably take with a 38 but cannot shoot. Also have a old
788 in .222 thats taken its share of groundhogs

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod