Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Freedom Arms vs. BFR #47964 02/26/2009 11:21 PM
lance Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
What are the major differences in the two? I know the price of the FA is higher, but can this be justified? What about grip design, does one handle the recoil better? Fit and finish? Accuracy? Size? I figure once I decide on a caliber I will get a nice handgun. So far 44 mag has my vote, but I am going to soon have a 480, which I will shoot to see if I like.

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: lance] #47969 02/27/2009 12:26 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Well the BFR comes in more calibers and they have different frame lengths to accommodate the longer cartridges. I have a BFR, several FA's, and Ruger's, and the FA is much tighter on tolerances; the BFR has a fit & finish that is comparable to the Rugers. I also prefer the grip design of the FA over the BFR because the FA handles harsh recoil better in my opinion. The BFR has nearly the same grip design as the Ruger SBH. Accuracy seems to be pretty close based on what I've seen. It really depends on what you want. In a 44 mag any of the 3 (Ruger, BFR, or FA) will be nice shooting guns. If money is not an issue then go with the FA - you won't be disappointed. I would choose a 44 or 454 over the 480; for some reason that cartridge never has impressed me too much.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: lance] #47970 02/27/2009 12:27 AM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
I have them both. They both shoot great. If you appreciate fine craftsmanship I think the Freedom Arms is well worth the difference in price. I myself find no advantage of one over the other as far as recoil is concerned though I know some people do.

Recoil

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: Recoil] #47974 02/27/2009 12:45 AM
lance Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Oh, if the BFR has the same grip frame as the SBH, then count me out. I like my SBH, but the frame contacts my trigger finger while holding the gun, and I just can't get past that. I do like fine craftmanship, and money will be an issue, but I dont plan on selling it and I do plan on spending more money running ammo through it than I will on the gun. So it sounds like a Freedom Arms is what I need, now 97 or 83??? I need to find a gun shop that stocs them so that I can hold both and see what I think.

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: lance] #47978 02/27/2009 1:12 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I'll take two BFRs for the price of one Freedom. The BFR comess in .475 Linebaugh and not .480 -- they realized that one doesn't need an extra cylinder for the shorter cased .480 much like you don't when shooting .38 specials in the .357. Freedom recommends that you not carry the hammer down on a loaded cylinder, which I find unacceptable. Also, in the case of the .475, you will be limited as to the bullets you use, as its cylinder is considerably shorter than that of the BFR in the same caliber. They are beautifully finished guns, and I know I sound critical, but for that much money, they are flawed. I personally would buy the BFR and dump that extra money into customizing it a bit and you will have one hell-of-a revolver. Plus, every BFR I have shot, has been very accurate. The fit and finish most certainly isn't on par with the FA, but so what. My guns are field guns, so I don't mind if they're not that pretty.

Gary, if you load that .480 right, there is nothing it won't do better than its smaller brothers. We're talking 400+ grain bullets right around 1,200 fps.......that is a penetrating machine! LOL!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: Whitworth] #47983 02/27/2009 1:45 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

The Custom Shop BFR's are a bargin. There is more roon between the grip frames and the trigger guard on a BFR than a Ruger.

The BFR is a stronger revoler and is a sfer revolver and capable of being carried fully loaded safely the FA can not be carried fully loaded safely.

I own 6 FA revolvers and I am speaking from experience. (4 in 454, 1 in 475 and one in 500 JRH)
The BFR is a steal and I would get the Custom Shop version

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: jwp475] #47987 02/27/2009 2:53 AM
MS Hitman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The two above posters are obviously BFR punch drunk, and when they come to their senses will understand the vast superiority of the Freedom Arms revolvers over the BFRs.

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: MS Hitman] #47988 02/27/2009 2:56 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: MS Hitman
The two above posters are obviously BFR punch drunk, and when they come to their senses will understand the vast superiority of the Freedom Arms revolvers over the BFRs.

Yeah, that must be it! LOL! Hitman, step away from the crack pipe.......slowly........

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: MS Hitman] #47989 02/27/2009 3:03 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: Whitworth] #47990 02/27/2009 3:03 AM
MS Hitman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

Yeah, that must be it! LOL! Hitman, step away from the crack pipe.......slowly........

Ha, this from someone who shoots a Super Redhawk?

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: MS Hitman] #47991 02/27/2009 3:07 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

But, but, but it's a "custom" Super Redhawk, right Whitworth?

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: jwp475] #47994 02/27/2009 3:13 AM
MS Hitman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: jwp475

But, but, but it's a "custom" Super Redhawk, right Whitworth?

Well,I could have shot double action, but chose to do something I wanted to do and use single actions for hunting.

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: MS Hitman] #47997 02/27/2009 4:09 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Yes indeed, it is a custom! But y'all are digressing......

Get back on topic here, and stop messing around!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: Whitworth] #48000 02/27/2009 4:21 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

Whatever do you mean?

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: jwp475] #48011 02/27/2009 11:26 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: jwp475

Whatever do you mean?

Come one guys....that's enough. I'm not liking the way these threads are starting to fade off topic. Joking and getting off topic is fine. But taking stabs is not acceptable. I'll be watching this thread today.

Lance asked a valid question and SOME started taking stabs at other opinions. STOP!

The weather must be keeping folks in and they are getting testy...talk a walk, get some fresh air and play with the dog.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: Dan B.] #48013 02/27/2009 11:52 AM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
Lance, I will say I have not owned either of the 2 you ask about. If you have the mulla for the FA, you are a lucky man! You will get a fine piece with a FA. I hope to have one myself one day. Even if its just a 44!

Guns are like underwear, you like what you like!!

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: lance] #48015 02/27/2009 12:15 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: lance
What are the major differences in the two? I know the price of the FA is higher, but can this be justified? What about grip design, does one handle the recoil better? Fit and finish? Accuracy? Size? I figure once I decide on a caliber I will get a nice handgun. So far 44 mag has my vote, but I am going to soon have a 480, which I will shoot to see if I like.

Lance,
I have never owned a BFR, but have shot one.
MY FA is a 454 Casull.
I do like the grip design of the FA better and I believe the FA is a better gun overall. I don't have anything against the BFR as the one I shot handled okay.
I would save my pennies and get a FA. I do not have any interest in the BFR.
Main thing is, I would get what I want. If you have your heart set on one of these guns, get the one you want, not what I or anyone else thinks.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: Jeremy] #48016 02/27/2009 12:15 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Dan, it's okay. It was my .475 that was being made fun of, but it doesn't bother me in the least. My skin isn't that thin. They were just funnin'.......

Now, back to the topic at hand. I too find the FA to be a fine piece, but I firmly believe that you can do better for the money. Jwp mentioned BFR's custom shop guns and I would tend to agree that they are a bargain, but also a great revolver. Again, maybe not as sexy as the FA, but purely functional.

JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: Jeremy] #48017 02/27/2009 12:29 PM
MS Hitman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Honestly, none of the brands, BFR, FA, or Ruger are bad guns. The BFR and Rugers are good platforms for customization projects. The FAs, in my opinion; do not need much, if any, in the way of customizing. Mine have ebony micarta grip panels and the field grades have had premier rear sights installed.

The BFRs have not caught on in this neck of the woods and the silhouette revolver shooters mostly use FAs. To answer your question, yes the cost difference is worth every penny for what you get.

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: MS Hitman] #48021 02/27/2009 3:46 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I own several FA revolvers. I also own a couple of Rugers and have owned others in the past. Over the years I have spent a lot of $$$$ trying to get Rugers to be like a FA. I have never owned a BFR but I have shot them.

I have come to the conclusion that it is not really more expensive for me to spend the $$$ for the FA to begin with and save myself the frustration of trying to get the others to perform like I want them to do. My recommendation obviously is --if you can swing it, go with the best.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: wtroper] #48022 02/27/2009 3:59 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've never owned the FA's just handled them, but I've owned the BFR and several custom built big bores and the BFR as Gary said is not quite what FA is but too me they actually come in between a factory Ruger and the FA. Factory Rugers aren't always consistent in fit and finish but the BFR's seem to be more so and I've yet to ever here of one that wouldn't shoot. If money is a concern then the BFR is the better value but as was pointed out you wouldn't be dissapointed with the FA at all. If your looking for the 475 cal I'd go with the linebaugh just to have the option of a little more oomph and if you want you can shoot 480 loads out of it even though I've never found it necessary but you just need to pay more attention to the cylinder when cleaning as you would with shooting 38's out of a 357 or 44S&W out of a Mag.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: wtroper] #48042 02/27/2009 8:28 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: wtroper
I have come to the conclusion that it is not really more expensive for me to spend the $$$ for the FA to begin with and save myself the frustration of trying to get the others to perform like I want them to do. My recommendation obviously is --if you can swing it, go with the best.

My thoughts are along this same line. The FAs are ready to go, already "upgraded" in factory trim. They are very accurate and have proper tolerances and dimensions. The cylinders are line-bored (check out how much this feature alone costs) and lock up solidly in place. These guns exude quality. I came across a good deal on my FA PG 44 and love it. The only thing I regret is waiting so long to buy an FA. Awesome guns.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: bisleyfan44] #48054 02/27/2009 11:06 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Well said bisleyfan44.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Freedom Arms vs. BFR [Re: Gary] #48062 02/28/2009 2:06 AM
kunas Offline
i now have both brands mentioned,my FA is a 555 feild in a 50 AE i can say that i was suprised at how tight the cylinder is unreal the quality in the FA i guess for the price they should be top notch, i just got my BFR in the 475 linebaugh in my hands this evening. I can say that it is a very nice piece as well, as far as the quality i can see a differnece in the 2, that being said i did pay almost 2xs more for the FA Ron

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod