Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SBH Overhauled #48080 02/28/2009 1:43 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I haven been thinking of doing some tinkering for a long time with my SBH in 44 Mag. I have built a couple of trodishinal black powder firearms and decided to take the plunge. She always shot “OK,” but I wanted a little better. This is what she looked like when I bought her.

First thing was to work on the front sight. I had bought a Marble dove tail from Brownell’s and put on “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” and just started filing. I thought the move was fitting and was wondering which one out of the three it was going to look like. LOL I have a pretty nice collection of files and just took my time.

I used the 1000 grit sand paper and it worked wonders. I used the jewelers files first and then the paper, but it turned out nice

It is not the "best job," but it is more than functional. I had a very small gap underneath the sight were I filled to much, I filled it with JB wield.
A Marble front sight from Brownell's

(The pictures here were before I reblued her. I was just overzealous! LOL)

I took a Crescent wrench to the front sight because it was a little crocked. I didn’t realize that it turned when I put the JB wield under it. The sight was tight, I had to hammer it in. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t going anywhere… and I don’t think it is going to. It doesn’t help that the barrel is a little off square. But my main objective is to have that nice thin blade square with the back sight.

I did a pour man’s action job on her. New springs in, reverse paw, and I also put the Belt Mount. #5 pin in her. The cylinder was sent off to Rod, it had some bad inconstancies. And the grips are Elk Stag made by Gras Horn

Gras Horn Grips

I also took the advice of the wonderful users we have here and ordered a FA cross draw holster for my SBH! It is wonderful. I can sit down comfortable in a chair/seat and not have any problems. (That means this fat boy can sit down with it… I don’t know if you can or not. LOL) I can tell you from someone who has worked with a lot of leather that is VERY well built and is going to see a lot of field time!

Rod has been instrumental in helping my with this project and I have to give him a very, VERY big thanks. He has spent a lot of time instructing and helping me over the phone as well as the work I have sent him. I have had sever business transactions with him and he as always been extremely professional and first rate all the way. He is also going to be getting a few more projects… but first I need to get the finances together. LOL

It’s not the FA of my dreams, but it will do for know. I don’t know what made the biggest difference but I can tell you that this gun is just shooting one big ragged hole at 25 yards. However, that doesn’t meant I don’t want the FA… Gary really has me thinking of a 454 with a 45LC cylinder right now.

Thanks for looking

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: TCTex.] #48086 02/28/2009 3:08 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Looking Good TC!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: wapitirod] #48090 02/28/2009 3:32 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Man that's nice.Looks great.Congrats

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: cottonstalk] #48094 02/28/2009 4:03 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
TC

I'm intrigued by the small, low profile brass bead. The rear sight appears to be adjusted all the way down onto the base. Its obviously shooting well for you. As I was scrolling down and admiring your work I kept wondering if the factory rear would run out of adjustment before you could bring a group down to where you want it because of lowering the front sight.
I'm a fan of aperature rear sights with a front bead on my rifles, but have never had one on a revolver. Never bothered to replace the blade on any of mine, but have thought about it from time to time. Always wondered if I would run out of adjustment on the rear if I lowered the front.

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: Renster of N.H.] #48096 02/28/2009 4:15 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
You can get different heights of fronts, I've got a bunch on hand I just ordered in and I think I have about 7 different heights and you can also get different height rear blades or even a "V" notch or you can file the existing notch down.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: wapitirod] #48097 02/28/2009 4:22 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
Hmmm...

Thats food for thought Rod...

But my B-E-A-utiful 50th anniversary BK is shooting the Speer GD 270 gr Sp's soooo gooood! Better not fool with that one.
Maybe if I pick up a second hand Ruger this year, I'll experiment with sights for a change.

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: Renster of N.H.] #48100 02/28/2009 4:49 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Nice work TCMan!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: pab1] #48107 02/28/2009 8:00 PM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
Time well spent! It came out looking good, and she shoots better! You couldn't ask for more!

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: pab1] #48108 02/28/2009 8:05 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Renster of N.H., very observant. I am 2 clicks away from being bottomed out but it still shoots fine. I miked the front blade at .345. The closest one offered was .343 and I figured I just came close. The dove tail takes up .1 so what I really needed was .445. (Like the supermag!!!) So next time I will get the .731blade.

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: TCTex.] #48109 02/28/2009 8:44 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
TC,

Whew! That was close. Thats what I mean about only "thinking" of doing it to a revolver myself in the past. Always had a fear that close would end up being too much and then I'd have to do something with the rear sights as well. Oh, I've communicated with Williams in the past about sight changes on my rifles. Sometimes they were right on with what I needed, sometimes I had to send a sight back because they were not correct with the height recommendation, and I'd waste work bench and range time, not to mention ammo(you'd think they knew what they were talking about - they design the sights for cripes sakes!)with a sight I could not bring in to where I wanted. Times like that convince me to "just leave 'em alone". But, I DO LIKE the looks of your brass bead as well as the Firesites that I saw on another thread.
I'll bet you can acquire a very quick sight picture and more precise point of aim compared to a standard wide partridge blade.
I AM intrigued.
Renster

Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: Renster of N.H.] #48120 02/28/2009 11:54 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Who rounded the butt?? I like that!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: Dan B.] #48122 03/01/2009 12:07 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
would you believe Stan Debbick, TC bought it from him. I talked to him a year or so ago and I guess since his dad retired he went to doing IT work and doesn't do much hunting or shooting anymore.

Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: wapitirod] #48124 03/01/2009 12:44 AM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
would you believe Stan Debbick, TC bought it from him. I talked to him a year or so ago and I guess since his dad retired he went to doing IT work and doesn't do much hunting or shooting anymore.

100% Right!

I was going to use it as a base piece, but after I really learned what had all been done to it (and the way it shoots at the range) I just want to leave it alone. I did the math and the extra work that has been done to that piece would cost me more than what I paid for it. LOL

Benjamin Franklin
Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: TCTex.] #48132 03/01/2009 1:46 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Nice job TC!!! Gun customizing is fun.

If I remember right Stan had that gun at the first SWPA Blast & Blab. He did a nice job on it. The bead blasted matte finish is very nice.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: Tigger] #48137 03/01/2009 2:30 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
TCMan, that looks nice...can't believe you let Rod work on it... Or is he off the MEDs now? LOL

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: KRal] #48139 03/01/2009 3:06 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I resemble that remark
;\)

Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: Tigger] #48166 03/01/2009 12:21 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Tigger
If I remember right Stan had that gun at the first SWPA Blast & Blab. He did a nice job on it. The bead blasted matte finish is very nice.

Heck...I was with him when he got that gun. Stan made it to the display table before me...that's how he ended up with it. At that same gun show is where I bought my .45LC Hunter model gun for $400. Also snagged a NIB NEF 7-08 rifle for $125!! That was a good day!!

waprod...there's more to that story...we'll have to discuss that over the phone someday.

TC....could you a close up of the grip frame with the panels removed??

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: Dan B.] #48222 03/02/2009 1:03 AM
Rick Offline
addict
addict
Awesome looking guns. Excellent work.
Rick

Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: Rick] #48224 03/02/2009 1:23 AM
N.E.S. Offline
Nice work TC

Re: SBH Overhauled [Re: N.E.S.] #48245 03/02/2009 1:18 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I thought I posted a reply yesterday on this post but obviously I didn’t.

Dan not a problem I can do that today. If you want I can even send you a paper drawing/sketch of the grip as well. The grip, I think, makes a noticeable difference in recoil absorption.

Duane

Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod