Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Practicing for a hunt when time is limited #48637 03/07/2009 3:14 PM
jamautry Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Does anyone have any experience in cramming for a handgun hunt?

To give you a background of what I mean my current problem is I have a handgun hunt scheduled in Australia and can't practice until a month before the hunt and then only for a week. The issue is I live in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and can't shoot here but I will be headed back home to Texas for 9 days where I plan to setup a daily practice session preparing for the handgun hunt a month later. I am an experienced handgun hunter and IDPA/USPSA competitor and before I moved here would practice at least once a week and most times two times a week and shoot in 2 matches a week and even managed to win one or two. I did some off handed shooting at 50 yards with some of my hunting revolvers over Thanksgiving, when I was last in the States, and could still keep five shots within 4.5" at 50 yards offhand. Not as good as I once was but I think still ok. So I am sure I still have a grasp of the fundamentals but have never crammed for a hunt before. So I am open to ideas. Another bit of information is the hunt is for Water Buffalo and hogs so I will have time to warm up on hogs and buffalos cows before I tangle with a bull.

Thanks in advance for any information?

Re: Practicing for a hunt when time is limited [Re: jamautry] #48638 03/07/2009 4:00 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
New gun? New load? More details man! If it is a new gun and load, I would sight it in at about 50 yards (up to 100) and when saisfied, I start with field positions and steer clear of the bench. Will you be hunting spot and stalk? I would practice using various objects like trees for rests at a variety of distances near and far. I would also practice offhand as much as possible as well. One week is plenty of time -- just have enough ammo on hand.......JMHO

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Practicing for a hunt when time is limited [Re: Whitworth] #48639 03/07/2009 4:02 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I just realized that you are hunting in Australia -- this means you will be using the outfitters revolver if I am correct. If that is the case, I would try to shoot the same caliber that you will be using and then just practice from many different field positions.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Practicing for a hunt when time is limited [Re: Whitworth] #48640 03/07/2009 5:29 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If you can put 5 shots in 4 1/2" offhand at 50yds...I would say your in pretty good shape for your hunt, however, as Whit says if its a big bore your not familiar with you should would crame as much field type shooting as you can in your 9 days, without causing a flinch.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Practicing for a hunt when time is limited [Re: jamesfromjersey] #48662 03/07/2009 11:40 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Buffalo in the N.T. are almost certainly going to be taken at less than 100 yds. My 2 were taken @ 35 & 55 yds.In fact all of my water buff, cape buff and bison have been taken at less than 100 yds.
If possible, determine what gun and load the outfitter is going to supply you with, and attempt to duplicate that gun and load as closely as possible here in the U.S. Get this done asap.
Practice daily with a few rounds offhand @ 25, then 50, then 75 yds. Don't overdo it at first. Practice also off a field position rest and/or sticks if the outfitter is accustomed to using or supplying sticks. Practice this shooting out to a max. of 100 yds., if you're using a single shot like the .375 JDJ. Shooting from sticks is different than most anything else. Practice it.
Unless the grass has been burned off where you hunt, it will most likely be waist to perhaps chest high. Forget about prone, creedmore, etc. Standing, with or without rest, is the most likely scenario in my experience, and that of my friends.
When you arrive in camp, duplicate your practice with the outfitters gun on the first morning. Communicate well ahead of time to ensure that he has an adequate amount of ammo in camp to allow these practice shots. Don't assume that he will. Without you making the point, he probably won't.
Hunting buff and hogs in the N.T. is a treat. Enjoy it !

Re: Practicing for a hunt when time is limited [Re: 500WE] #48664 03/08/2009 12:10 AM
wyote Offline
addict
addict
I would be doing as much dry firing as possible.

Re: Practicing for a hunt when time is limited [Re: Whitworth] #48671 03/08/2009 1:30 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I just realized that you are hunting in Australia -- this means you will be using the outfitters revolver if I am correct. If that is the case, I would try to shoot the same caliber that you will be using and then just practice from many different field positions.

Darn Good Advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Practicing for a hunt when time is limited [Re: TCTex.] #48677 03/08/2009 3:00 AM
jamautry Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for the input. To give more details:

I have been in constant contact with the outfitter and have found out the gun and load (7.5" 44 mag redhawk stock condition and 300 gr XTP same load as Lynn Thompson used in the video referred to in another post and it accounted for 20 buffalos and I forget how many hogs on his hunt ). I have a stock redhawk and 300 gr XTP loads waiting for me when I get back to Texas.

I think I will get an 8" reactive steel plate to set at different distances and practice with it with no more than 50 rounds per session and take my 17 HMR S&W revolver with me to spend most of my time with it just getting used to pulling the trigger again. This will all be field positions once I got the new Redhawk sighted in with the load.

Re: Practicing for a hunt when time is limited [Re: jamautry] #48682 03/08/2009 6:12 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That sounds like a good plan. You don't need our advice as you seem to have everything well in hand! Good luck, and enjoy yourself!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod