Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bullet shortage #50128 04/10/2009 12:37 AM
Tigger Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I was surfing the Sierra Bullet site and found this explanation of the bullet shortage. I just hope in 6 months they catch up and the "scare" buying slows down a little.

Originally Posted By: Sierra
Why Can't I Find Sierra Bullets?

As most Sierra customers have noticed, finding Sierra Bullets on shelves has become a little more difficult in the last 4-6 months. There are a lot of varying stories floating around as to the cause of this including:

· Sierra is slowing production to drive up prices.

· Sierra has too much military / law enforcement business and is focusing on fulfilling it instead of making bullets for the individual reloaders.

· The government is passing laws that effect how many bullets can be made and/or slowing raw materials to the shooting industry which we need to make bullets.

The real reason is demand. Sierra has been making more bullets per week recently than we have in our rich 62 year history, but we simply can not get ahead of the demand. After the 2008 elections, orders began increasing overnight and have only continued to increase thus far.

The bullets we sell to distributors that ultimately get sold to the individual reloaders (business we affectionately call our “Green Box” - business for obvious reasons) come off the same presses and out of the same lots as bullets we make for the military and law enforcement. While Sierra does prioritize the military orders to make sure our service men & women get what they need, the demand from the military is factored into our yearly planning and normally does not affect our green box production capacity.

For 2009 our military and law enforcement business, is only slightly higher than what we had predicted, and is not causing these shortages. The shortages are being caused by the huge increase in demand from the individual reloaders themselves and also by the OEM ammunition reloaders who are reacting to the same increase in demand.

We are seeing a lot of customers who decide (for whatever reason) that they need to have a few extra bullets tucked away for a rainy day. When they start looking for their favorite Sierra Bullets and do not find them, they grow concerned and look harder. Once they do find them in stock, they choose to buy double what they had planned, since they were so hard to find. This just compounds the problem for the next person trying to find those same bullets.

Rest assured – Sierra is working as hard as they can to increase capacity (without sacrificing our world renowned quality) and we are making more bullets now than ever. This demand will not last forever and you should see the bullets you have come to count on back on the shelves as we start making headway into our backlog.

We are very sorry for the shortages you are experiencing, but rest assured, we are working hard to correct them so you will again be able to find those familiar green plastic boxes on your dealer's shelves again.

Thank You,
The Sierra Bullets Team

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Bullet shortage [Re: Tigger] #50153 04/10/2009 3:24 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Tigg, Thanks for posting...

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Bullet shortage [Re: jamesfromjersey] #50168 04/10/2009 4:20 PM
liv2hnt460 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I wonder how Obama feels about the fact that since his election, gun and ammunition sales have gone higher than ever. I think it is almost comical that unintentionally, he has done more to promote the sales of guns and ammo than any other single person in the history of the US.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Re: Bullet shortage [Re: liv2hnt460] #50194 04/11/2009 4:16 AM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Tig around here certain powders,primers,and bullets are scarce and others are business as usual.308,45 forget it.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Bullet shortage [Re: cottonstalk] #50207 04/11/2009 5:03 PM
catskinner69 Offline
stranger
stranger
I talked to a guy at hornady yesterday. He said some of their guys are working 15 hr shifts. Things have just gone crazy and there is no way they can keep up with demand right now. I asked if it was showing any signs of slowing down and he said no.

Re: Bullet shortage [Re: catskinner69] #50213 04/11/2009 10:13 PM
Mikewin Offline
addict
addict
I can tell you this is noticeable overseas as well. The European retailers don't get any bullets or other components at all, it seems, which of course affects pricing of what's still here...a standard box of 50 300gr XTP bullets can now be found for an easy $45 or so from a major Swedish retailer...

As a European, I prefer my latte in my NRA coffee mug
Re: Bullet shortage [Re: Mikewin] #50218 04/12/2009 1:08 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I would be casting my own Mike. LOL

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Bullet shortage [Re: TCTex.] #50309 04/13/2009 9:30 PM
Mikewin Offline
addict
addict
Yeah, true, but I like the XTPs and am in the lucky position that I go on business to the US every now and then. Will be in VA in a week, actually. So since I'm doing my regular drive around the east coast I hope I'll be able to find a few boxes of good bullets to less than stratospheric prices...

Hopefully, I'll do some exotic hunting in PA as well. Had problems with the gun today at the range though, so we'll see.

As a European, I prefer my latte in my NRA coffee mug
Re: Bullet shortage [Re: Mikewin] #50562 04/20/2009 11:21 PM
Tigger Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Just another little piece of the puzzle I found on the Black hills web site;

Originally Posted By: Black hills Ammo
We may have come a long way so far, but we are just getting started. We currently have backorders on millions of rounds, reaching clear into 2009. The war on terror continues and thus military demand remains strong. The commercial demand for Black Hills Ammunition is also at an all time high. Our current plant is crowded with workers trying to fill your backorders. We have been working overtime for 5 years to try and keep orders reasonably current. You have been patient and understanding, but it is clear we at Black Hills Ammunition need to do more.

We need more room to gear up to meet the demands of both the US civilian shooter and the US Military. We have to expand. We recently purchased a new facility and are busy setting it up for production. This new facility gives us over 65,000 square feet of manufacturing facility on nearly 10 acres of land. This will roughly triple our available space. We will be into the new facility by late summer of 2008 and will be able to produce Black Hills Ammunition at higher production rates, but with the same level of precision and quality that we are famous for providing.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod