Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Scope on a New Model Blackhawk #50416 04/16/2009 2:33 AM
Mike Byrge Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I just bought a 2nd hand New Model BlackHawk and want to put a scope or red-dot type site on it. Surfing the internet it doesn't look like there is a base that I can put on it without taking it to a gunsmith and having it drilled and tapped.

What are y'alls recommendations for mounting a scope base on BlackHawk?

Thanks, Mike

Re: Scope on a New Model Blackhawk [Re: Mike Byrge] #50417 04/16/2009 2:43 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
WECLOME ABOARD MIKE

Drill and tap. I know that is a short answer but they are the strongest IMHO.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Scope on a New Model Blackhawk [Re: TCTex.] #50419 04/16/2009 3:00 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
weaver makes a no drill mount and I've played with it a couple times but if it's a blued the front clamp will mark the barrel and I had one gun which it worked fine on and another it didn't seem to want to stay in place. There are two primary mounts you can get if you go the drill and tap way, one is the Leupold and the other the Weigand. Both are top notch and would serve you well on the 44 but the Weigand is a weaver style base which allows you more room to adjust the position of the scope and the ability to run 3 or 4 rings which I do on all my scoped handguns to save wear and tear on the scope. The leupold is a dual dovetail design and on the Ruger it sets back farther than I like and your stuck with two rings and whatever movement you can get out of the scope between them is the extent of your adjustment.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Scope on a New Model Blackhawk [Re: wapitirod] #50430 04/16/2009 12:18 PM
jarinwv Offline
stranger
stranger
I would also vote for one of the drill and tap mounts. I had a Weaver mount on a Blackhawk and could never hold zero with it. Took it off and found it had marked the barrel where it clamped on. Also had a gunsmith drill and tap and install a mount on a SBH. Am very happy with it.

jar

Re: Scope on a New Model Blackhawk [Re: jarinwv] #50433 04/16/2009 12:42 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
WELCOME MIKE!

Edge Custom makes a "no drill" mount, here is the link;

Edge Custom no drill mount

I have no experience with it, just throwing out another option.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Scope on a New Model Blackhawk [Re: Mike Byrge] #50434 04/16/2009 12:54 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
taking it to a gunsmith and having it drilled and tapped

You don't really "have to" take it to a gunsmith. It is a very easy DIY project. I have the drill and tap you are welcome to use it if you want or you can buy them at Midway for less than 10 bucks total. With the Weigand once you set the rear screw in the rear sight mount hole the front two holes can be drilled through the base into the top strap and then just remove the base and tap the holes you just drilled. Ask Montanan how easy it is, he borrowed my stuff to do his. It is a rock solid mount that accommodates many options for sights that you cannot use on the dovetail bases.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Scope on a New Model Blackhawk [Re: s4s4u] #50437 04/16/2009 3:34 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
taking it to a gunsmith and having it drilled and tapped

You don't really "have to" take it to a gunsmith. It is a very easy DIY project. I have the drill and tap you are welcome to use it if you want or you can buy them at Midway for less than 10 bucks total. With the Weigand once you set the rear screw in the rear sight mount hole the front two holes can be drilled through the base into the top strap and then just remove the base and tap the holes you just drilled. Ask Montanan how easy it is, he borrowed my stuff to do his. It is a rock solid mount that accommodates many options for sights that you cannot use on the dovetail bases.

s4s4u is exactly right. The Blackhawk is one of the easiest DIY when it comes to the drilling and taping. It doesn't matter if you drill completely through the top strap, you will hurt nothing and most gunsmiths will do the same. Go with a good mount. Don't skim on a non-gunsmithing model. Just my 2ct.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Scope on a New Model Blackhawk [Re: KRal] #50442 04/16/2009 8:04 PM
Mike Byrge Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks guys....now if I could just find some ammo so I could shoot my new gun I would be in business!!

Re: Scope on a New Model Blackhawk [Re: Mike Byrge] #50464 04/17/2009 10:45 AM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
The extra money for a good mount will be 100% worth it. I threw a Weaver mount on my Colt 357 it screwed into the rear sight and just clamped around the barrel. It only took 4-5 shots and the scope shattered. Weigand was the way to go for that gun but I just didn't want to drill and tap it. Grandpappys gun and all.

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Scope on a New Model Blackhawk [Re: Jeremy] #50469 04/17/2009 1:26 PM
jarinwv Offline
stranger
stranger
You guys make it sound easy to drill and tap. You use drill press or can it be done with hand held drill? Is the bit from midway made of something special to drill thru hardened steel? I worked off and on in machine shops for over 12 years and thought about doing it myself. Just didn't want to take any chances with the Murphy guy that occaisonaly hangs around with me.

jar

Re: Scope on a New Model Blackhawk [Re: jarinwv] #50471 04/17/2009 4:39 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
hardened steel?

It's not all that hard, not like carbide. A sharp drill will go through with no problem. A drill press would certainly be adviseable but not absolutely necessary. Murphy can be a real jerk, but a D&T job with a Weigand base is hard to screw up.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod