Next Thread
Print Thread
Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. #50915 04/29/2009 6:37 PM
minnesotahunter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi everyone,
I am new to this site, and handgunning in general. I can't get enough deer hunting, but have taken all my trophy deer with a bow. I have always wanted a big handgun, and finally bought a Ruger Redhawk in stainless with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I plan to go after Whitetails with it this year, and mabey elk next. I bought some Garrett +p 330 grainers and like the way they shoot.
I can keep all my shots on a paper plate up to about 70 yrds so far off hand using a 4 power thompson center scope. (still practicing and hope to extend that distance) I am used to shooting for just behind the shoulder blade with my bow, but some people have recomended shooting through the shoulders instead. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: minnesotahunter] #50916 04/29/2009 7:14 PM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
You can never go wrong aiming for as much bone as you can.....

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: Pasco] #50917 04/29/2009 7:28 PM
larry223 Offline
addict
addict
i will go along with that you can aim where you are and get
a good shot in the heart and lungs bone shots cause more damage.
larry

tc,s 223 35rem 7-30 waters 6.5jdj 375
30/30ai 6mm/223 22lr
encores 7mm-08 308
redhawk 44mag.
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: larry223] #50918 04/29/2009 7:55 PM
liv2hnt460 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I always aim for the heart and/or lungs. It is the biggest target and, if hit squarely, will always result in the death of the animal.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: liv2hnt460] #50919 04/29/2009 8:01 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I'm a fan of the high shoulder shot. I like breaking bones and thereby breaking the animal down and anchoring them. Deer tend to run if you don't break them down even when they are fatally shot (of course not always) -- they have incredible will to live. That said, they aren't tremendously hard to kill, but I like to avoid tracking when possible.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: Whitworth] #50920 04/29/2009 8:59 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I'm a fan of the high shoulder shot. I like breaking bones and thereby breaking the animal down and anchoring them. Deer tend to run if you don't break them down even when they are fatally shot (of course not always) -- they have incredible will to live. That said, they aren't tremendously hard to kill, but I like to avoid tracking when possible.

I too, favor the high shoulder shot.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: minnesotahunter] #50922 04/29/2009 10:20 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
You lose much less meat when you take 'em in the head, and they don't run far ;-)

In lieu of a good head shot I aim for the boiler room, there's lots of sausage in the front half of a whitie.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: KRal] #50923 04/29/2009 10:20 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
MinnesotaHunter,

First, welcome to Handgun Hunter!

As a bow hunter, I too, feel programmed to tuck it in behind the shoulder, but with that big projectile, move it a bit forwards...you'll love the results. You don't have to worry about the scapula with those 330's!

Best of luck...

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: SChunter] #50926 04/30/2009 12:45 AM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Behind the shoulder, 1/3 up, aiming for the top of the heart and lungs.

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: 500WE] #50928 04/30/2009 12:56 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I like the high in the back shot. As some said it will break a WT down may not kill them in 5 seconds but he will not go anywhere.

Note the shot placement---This was 100+ from a barn loft after a hard rain.

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1546

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: SChunter] #50931 04/30/2009 2:29 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
WELCOME to HH MinnesotaHunter!!

I like the lung heart area. My wolf cuts up out deer and she yells at me if I smash up the front shoulders too much. LOL
\:\)

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: Tigger] #50933 04/30/2009 2:56 AM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I agree with a few others high shoulder.If you look at a broadside WT you will see a muscle bulge in the upper part of their shoulder I aim to put my bullet just above the bulge/knot.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: 500WE] #50935 04/30/2009 4:12 AM
liv2hnt460 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: 500WE
Behind the shoulder, 1/3 up, aiming for the top of the heart and lungs.

Amen brother.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: liv2hnt460] #50940 04/30/2009 3:13 PM
leasongs Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I almost always try to hit the top of the heart. I think this comes from bowhunting ... when I am running on autopilot, thats where it goes. If I have time to relax and think about it, I go for the shoulder, but that can waste some good sausage meat!

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: leasongs] #50942 04/30/2009 3:41 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the welcome, and all the advice. I'll give the shoulders a try.(that is of course if I still think of it when mr. big shows up and the adreneline kicks in)

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: minnesotahunter] #50955 04/30/2009 10:44 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
minnesotahunter,

WELCOME to HH! Good bunch 'o guys here.

I usually read a post, then read the responses from the guys, then go back to your original post to see if my response will be on target with the specific question you asked.
You alluded to the fact that most of your "trophy" whitetails had been taken using a bow and that you of course, try to put your arrow into the heart/lung area.
The term "trophy" has different meanings for different folks. I am only assuming by "trophy" you are referring to a heavier than average deer. A heavier than average whitetail here in the Northeast, specifically in New Hampshire is one in the 200 lb. + class(dressed). I don't have nearly as many deer harvests to my credit as some of the fellas here at HH, but I have shot a number of "large" (220 lb. +) New Hampshire bucks with the .44 Magnum. We don't have nearly as dense a population of that caliber buck here in New Hampshire as some parts of the country do, and thats the only type of buck I hunt. So, some seasons I don't even get a shot. But, in my experience it seems that you need to hit these big boys hard. Thats just what I do. I use big, heavy bullets (you seem to have that covered) and I generally aim for the "boiler room". Any reasonable variance of bullet path (usually due to my error) has still struck in a vital spot and thumped the unfortunate patriarch who made the mistake of allowing me a shot. The longest distance I have ever had to track a big deer that I dropped a .44 caliber hammer on was maybe 30 yards (I didn't exactly pull out a tape and measure) and I hit him square through the forward ribs, drilling a hole completely through. The shortest distance was the smallest buck (221 lbs.) He got "real" close to me (maybe 15 paces!) and would not come out from behind some young alders, and left me no choice but to aim for the white under his chin (he was lookin' right at me - Criiipes!). Unfortunately, my shakey aim caused the bullet to strike a little high (just under his right eye) and, well, left a LARGE hole in the back of his head. No pretty shoulder mount possible for that one. I just did an antler mount. Obviously, I didn't have to track that big boy very far!
\:\)
If the shot is "close", I'll aim for the neck. Pretty much any other shot I'll stick with the heart/lung. You simply can't go wrong putting a fat, heavy, slow moving slug into the boiler room of large whitetails.

Take Care, and again - WELCOME!

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: Renster of N.H.] #50969 05/01/2009 2:40 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the responce Renster. I couldn't agree more that this site and its members are a great group to join.(especially for a relative rookie to handguning who needs lots of advice) As to the size of deer here in MN, a 200 lb. field dressed deer is pretty big, but my heaviest went 230 dressed out, and my dad shot one that was over 240!! Biggest bodied deer I have ever seen. I'll try to post some pics if I can figure out how.
Besides does for meat, those are the deer I am after.(I also sometimes go a season without shooting at a buck) With that being said, how far can someone harvest a deer of that size with a 44 mag. I know my limit is 70 yrds until I can put all my shots on a plate from further, but what about an accomplished shooter hunting a field edge with a good solid rest. My redhawk has a 7 1/2 inch barrel, and buffalo bore claims to get 1649 foot lbs of energy out of that exact gun and barrel lenth. What does that turn into as far as killing distance. I know this is a lot of stuff, and mabe I shoul have opened a new topic.

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: minnesotahunter] #50985 05/02/2009 1:52 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: minnesotahunter
.....how far can someone harvest a deer of that size with a 44 mag. I know my limit is 70 yrds until I can put all my shots on a plate from further, but what about an accomplished shooter hunting a field edge with a good solid rest. My redhawk has a 7 1/2 inch barrel, and buffalo bore claims to get 1649 foot lbs of energy out of that exact gun and barrel lenth. What does that turn into as far as killing distance. I know this is a lot of stuff, and mabe I shoul have opened a new topic.

I'm not saying further distances can't be accomplished, but I would suggest keeping shot under 100 yards, on deer the size you described. In my opinion, distances much further than that should be reserved for Specialty Pistols with an appropriate bottle neck cartridge. "Just my opinion....don't intend to start a heated debate...LOL"

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: KRal] #50995 05/02/2009 9:15 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
minnesotahunter,

I agree with KRal,
If you're comfortable with accurately placing a 70 yard shot, that big slug should still have the necessary killing power for a clean humane take on big deer. If you simply must shoot big 'uns further with a handgun, better to move up to a heavier revolver cartridge or even to a T/C or similar pistol capable of utilizing "rifle" cartridges.
Incidentally, I use open sights on my revolver (6 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk), presently using the Speer Gold Dot 270 gr. soft point, and keep my shots well within my personal capability of that combination. If I expect to be hunting a piece that has a mixture of timber and fields, I switch to my Ruger compact rifle in .308 Win. If I still owned a T/C it would be scoped and also be chambered in .308 Win. (detecting some bias here?) and I would likely feel quite confident using it for near any purpose I'd use my rifle for.
Hope that helps a little.

Take Care

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: minnesotahunter] #51013 05/03/2009 3:29 PM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
You are really going to like the new and improved BLOOD TRAILS offered by your Red Hawk compared to the string and stick.

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: H2OBUG] #51025 05/04/2009 1:06 AM
ahandgunhunter Offline
addict
addict
high shoulder shot puts then down in their tracks everytime.

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: ahandgunhunter] #51041 05/04/2009 7:42 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for all the advice.

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: kingfisher] #51042 05/04/2009 8:58 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
Minnesotahunter --- You have received sage advice. The maximum distance that a deer can be harvested with your combination of firearm & load depends upon who is holding the gun. If you are confident to 70 yds, that should be your max range. If and when your confidence grows so will your effective range. The heavily loaded 44 will go through a deer at extended range but your job is to be sure to put the bullet in the right place. Do not try to duplicate the shots made by those more expert than you. Keep your shots within the range that provides you a level of comfort.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: wtroper] #51044 05/04/2009 9:09 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Do you have any off season game or varmints you can practice on? Great way to hone your skills and have fun at the same time.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: TCTex.] #51045 05/04/2009 9:28 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"Do not try to duplicate the shots made by those more expert than you. Keep your shots within the range that provides you a level of comfort."by wtroper This is some of the best advice.Shoot to your comfort level,and you will be extremely pleased with the results.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: TCTex.] #51046 05/04/2009 9:28 PM
wyote Offline
addict
addict
When shooting cast bullets in a revolver, I'll take a lung or shoulder shot with no hesitation

When shooting single shots with a tipped bullet or Berger HP I like the high shoulder shot...........DRT!!

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: wyote] #51071 05/05/2009 5:08 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Absolutly good advise. I have no problem letting an "out of range" deer walk, I'm used to that from bowhunting. The reason I asked the question is that when I first stared bowhunting I wouldn't shoot past about 30 yards, but now I feel perfectly confident taking a deer at almost twice that range as my skills (and bow) improved. I was just wondering what the possabilities were, or what to aspire to.

On a side note I just shot up a box of cheap Remington UMCs the other day, and man is it fun to shoot this gun. Love the sport so far.

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: minnesotahunter] #51072 05/05/2009 5:13 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
By the way TCMan I'm taking your advice. I just bought a Smith and Wesson 22a that I plan to go after squirls with when the small game season opens. Practice should be a little easier on the wallet as well.

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: minnesotahunter] #51075 05/05/2009 6:25 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
Your last remark -- "what the possibilities were or what to aspire to" --- again leaves the gate completely open. Personally, I am comfortable taking shots at a standing deer at 125 yds or more with my revolvers if the conditions are right. But I practice at that range (or more) a lot.

I believe that 100 yds to 125 yds is not that difficult if one puts in the practice. Beyond 125 yds the revolver bullet begins to drop materially. Thus, the issue of trajectory is added.

I have a friend that could easily make the shot on a deer with a 44 revolver at much greater distance (however he is an exceptional shot). I will never have his level of skill. Even though I practice quite a bit (shoot almost every weekend), he used to burn more than 1000 rds per month (and did this for years). His current favorite activity is shooting the 500 S&W at 400-500 yds on his personal range.

Thus, I repeat my earlier statement --- "Do not try to duplicate the shots made by those more expert than you." Develop your skills and you will know how far to push.

Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: wtroper] #51082 05/05/2009 11:00 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: minnesotahunter
By the way TCMan I'm taking your advice...

Wish I could clam it as my own works of wisdom… just REALLY good advice I got from people like Kyode, Gary, and Tig (As well as many others!) And like you said, it is much easier on the wallet shooting 22LR’s!!!

Originally Posted By: wtroper
I have a friend that could easily make the shot on a deer with a 44 revolver at much greater distance... His current favorite activity is shooting... at 400-500 yds on his personal range.

I hope I didn’t take your words out of context too much… the first person I thought of after reading it was Elmer Keith.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Whitetail shot placement with a handgun. [Re: TCTex.] #51087 05/06/2009 12:00 AM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I wish I had known Elmer. However, back in his heyday, I was a Jack O'Conner fan. Had not yet been through my "high velocity days." My friend is a former champion handgun sil shooter. He can do things that I can only dream of.

I am totally serious about him shooting a revolver at 400-500 yds & hitting the target. I was there & saw it (BFR 500 S&W). With him spotting & coaching I even hit it a few times.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod