Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New revolver in .44 #51016 05/03/2009 10:26 PM
MrSmith4x44 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I´m new to this forum and interested in handgun hunting.
My present revolver battery is limited to a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt, 4 5/8" and another Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum, 4 5/8".
I´m about to buy a .44 Magnum and I can´t decide which one to choose.
The most obvious choice is another Ruger, maybe a Redhawk 5.5" or a Super Blackhawk. But I like the Smith & Wesson 629 also.
I ain´t going to use hard cast heavyweight full power loads because they´re not available where I live (Argentina) but I can make my own reloads with 265/300 grain jacketed bullets and Alliant 2400 (No H110 or W296 around here) and lead and jacketed 240 grain mostly.
Would the Smith & Wesson 629 stand for that kind of use?
Or I should consider the Rugers as the only reasonable choice?
Thanks.

"Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much." John Wayne
Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: MrSmith4x44] #51017 05/03/2009 10:51 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
MrSmith4x44,
First - WELCOME to HHm!!!
You'll find a good bunch of guys here.
As for your query, I'll be completely biased!
Ruger single action, whether it be Blackhawk, Superblackhawk, or Vaquero. I've owned all of them at one time or another in a 25 year span. All in .44 Mag. In the past couple of years I've settled on a 6 1/2" Anniversary Model Blackhawk that weighs in at about 37 ounces. It is truly the sweetest Ruger I've ever owned, and I plan to keep it.
I've owned a 5 1/2" Redhawk and found it to be strong, funtional, but heavy to carry.(the older I get, the lighter I like 'em) I've owned a Dan Wesson model 44 with 6" barrel, (remember those?!)and should have kept that one.
I never shot either in double action mode, thus single action does make more sense for me. Also, I just plain like the way a single action points and rolls in my hand. I hunt with mine.

Again - WELCOME!!!

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: Renster of N.H.] #51020 05/03/2009 11:25 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Welcome to HH! I'm with Renster, I'm biased toward the Rugers. Don't know why, but with I think of a hunting revolver, I automatically think of a single action. The Ruger is a very strong gun and will handle the abuse of the heavy loads, but you already have two Rugers and no Smith....LOL... I'm a lot of help..ain't I.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: KRal] #51026 05/04/2009 1:15 AM
MS Hitman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Welcome aboard as well. I have a Model 29 that has been used on several deer and other critters. The 240 grain cast bullets will work just fine from a S&W. I will also say that there is nothing wrong with using the .45 Colt you currently own. The Ruger can be loaded to respectable levels and kills way out of proportion for its size.

Where in Argentina are you? I want badly to get down that way and visit the country. Water buffalo would be a real treat with a handgun.

Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: MS Hitman] #51030 05/04/2009 5:23 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Welcome to the site! I would recommend spending the money you plan to buy your new gun with on reloading components for your .45 Colt Blackhawk instead. I love my .44 mags, but the .45 Colt gives up nothing to it with its larger bore diameter and the variety of bullets available for it now. Work up a load the gun likes and put a lot of time into practice. All that shooting will pay off when you take it hunting. Its a great round! If your set on getting a .44 mag, I would go with a SBH.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: pab1] #51032 05/04/2009 10:47 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If you really want a .44, then I agree with these guys in that you will be more than well served with another Ruger -- just can't beat them strength-wise or with regards to cost for that matter. I love my Smith & Wessons, but you really have to load them carefully. By carefully I mean they don't handle the abuse of really heavy bullets very well. I limit mine to a 280 grain bullet at a maximum of 1,300 fps.

That said, I prefer the .45 Colt. Loaded properly it will quite handily eclipse the .44 magnum's capabilities.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: Whitworth] #51034 05/04/2009 12:34 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
welcome aboard!
please dont forget to tell us about the big game hunting there. your hunts thanks. like renster i miss my dan but nvere fired it D.A. so i say go with the super blackhawk.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: bluecow] #51038 05/04/2009 6:53 PM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
Welcome to the site! This topic comes up quite often on here and like always, the same answers. I went with a S&W 629 PC, I don't have the need to load any heavy bullets. Whitetail only in my neck of the woods. I agree with others, you don't really need a DA. I happen to catch my S&W for a deal. Also depending on what is available in your area is the most deciding factor!

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: Jeremy] #51043 05/04/2009 9:09 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I will weigh in with my opinion. It is not very different from the above posts. I actually prefer a S&W to a Ruger but understand that they will not take the same amount of abuse from heavy hunting loads. If one were to limit their loadings to the 240s, I might lean toward the Smith, but the beauty of the Ruger is that it will handle any load that is halfway reasonable and continue to digest them for years into the future. I also prefer the single action style.

Thus, if I were choosing a hunting revolver from the choices that you have posted, it would be a SA Ruger with 7 1/2" bbl and a Bisley grip frame.

Good hunting.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: MrSmith4x44] #51052 05/05/2009 12:17 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
WELCOME to HHM MrSmith!!

I like the Rugers as mentioned but I'm going to be a little different. I like the double action grip, so get either a Redhawk or Super Redhawk. Both can be had with scope rings that make it easy to change back and forth in the field. I have both and if I was to get a single action the Bisley grip would be my first choice.

I have a Smith 29, but have not done alot with it yet.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: Tigger] #51056 05/05/2009 3:10 AM
MrSmith4x44 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks to all for your suggestions!
I was at my favorite gun shop in Buenos Aires city today. I sold a rifle there recently and as I have some credit left it is where I´ll buy my 44. That limit my choices once again!
But I like a lot what they can get me through the local Ruger importer right now (otherwise I´ll have to wait almost until the end of the year for the next lot... no way!): a Redhawk 7 1/2" barrel with scope rings in blue finish.
I know that stainless steel would be better but that is the only one left and I like the looks of blue guns better than ss anyway. I don´t know if I will buy a scope right now; they have a Bushnell Elite 3200 series, 2-6x32. What do you think about it?
I like the .45 Colt cartridge a lot and I have reloaded for it already. Mostly 260 gr Keith style lead bullets at around 1000 fps and some Speer 300 gr UCSPs at around 1050 fps. Both very easy on my short barrel Blackhawk. I never used it for hunting yet but I will try it when I feel more proficient with the longer gun.
Regarding my hunting experiences in these lands...
I live in Buenos Aires city and done all my hunting in Buenos Aires province (Axis Deer and Blackbuck), La Pampa province (Red Stag and Wild Boar) and Entre Ríos province (Axis Deer and Water Buffalo. The later as back up for a former boss of mine who was doing the hunting). All the hunting was done with rifle and in private ranches. The hunt that bring me back again and again is European Wild Boar. Most of it during full moon nights but I have done some stalkings during the last light of the day. That is where I intend to do my handgun hunting. Plus the Red Stag that is done during first and last light.
I will scan some pictures and will post them here.

Thanks again to all!

Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: MrSmith4x44] #51064 05/05/2009 10:31 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That's a fine choice and it should serve you well! I too like blued revolvers. Not a big fan of scopes on handguns, but love red dots -- they are great in low-light stuations and much easier to acquire than crosshairs in my humble opinion. I use an Ultradot 30 on my .475 Super Redhawk and it has served me very well after thousands of rounds. Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: Whitworth] #51066 05/05/2009 12:13 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Mr Smith4x44,
Congratulations on your selection of the Redhawk .44 Magnum. I've never been without at least one since their introduction in 1979, and have taken quite a bit of game with a couple of mine, taking 2 of them on my first african safari in 1990.
Reading of your hunting in Argentina has brought back memories. In 1991, I hunted blackbuck on Manuel Anchorrena's Estancia La Corona in La Pampa with the late Rodolfo Grizas and Jesus Godoy, using a 12" T/C Contender in .375 JDJ. Then in 2002, I hunted in Entre Rios for buffalo with Teddy Fairhurst and his guide Nestor on Teddy's La Lydia property. I used a Freedom Arms revolver in .475 Linebaugh on that buffalo.
A couple days after the 2002 hunt, My wife and I were guests of Teddy's at his hunting and shooting club in Bs. As., the Association Argentina De Caza Y Conservacionismo, where I showed the members my .375 and .475, and we talked of guns and hunting.I was given the club's key chain and "invited back any time".
I used to visit Argentina at least once a year on business during the 1990's and enjoyed the country and people very much. I wish you many years of shooting and hunting pleasure with your Redhawk.
Regarding a scope, the Bushnell 3200 2-6X is a good scope (I'm presently using 5 of them), but I once had an unsatisfactory experience trying to use a Bushnell Warranty on a pair of their binoculars. I have found the Leupold 2X to be a very versatile scope on the .44 Magnum. The 4X is also good, but more than necessary on the .44. I also use red dots (Ultra Dot), but personally find the Leupold to be a bit more versatile on a .44 Redhawk.

Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: 500WE] #51093 05/06/2009 1:52 AM
MrSmith4x44 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Whitworth:
My hard drive crashed a month ago so, I have to scan my hunting pictures again. Give me a couple of days and I´ll post them. It should be in the Bragging Board, right?

500WE:
I´ve been at La Corona once and I know Teddy Fairhurst very well!
I hunted at his ranch a few times and some years ago we used to meet very often. He is a splendid guy! I hunted Axis Deer there and a couple of times, I backed up my former boss on Buffalo hunting. Very nice place and intense hunting!

Both of you use the Ultra Dot, red dot sight. The one that I know I can get here for sure is the Tasco Pro Point. Would the Tasco stand the recoil of the .44 magnum?

Thanks.

Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: MrSmith4x44] #51098 05/06/2009 2:41 AM
larry223 Offline
addict
addict
the tasco will stay up to the 44 i have one on mine works fine
i have had one on a rem12ga. slug gun and it works on the shotgun
larry

tc,s 223 35rem 7-30 waters 6.5jdj 375
30/30ai 6mm/223 22lr
encores 7mm-08 308
redhawk 44mag.
Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: larry223] #51101 05/06/2009 3:10 AM
lhunter03 Offline
addict
addict
Welcome!!!!! My vote is the blackhawk!! Great gun!!

Lars

Lars

.357 maxi, .375 win, 30-30 ackley, .450 marlin, and anything else that goes boom!!!
Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: MrSmith4x44] #51119 05/06/2009 1:34 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: MrSmith4x44
Whitworth:
My hard drive crashed a month ago so, I have to scan my hunting pictures again. Give me a couple of days and I´ll post them. It should be in the Bragging Board, right?

500WE:
I´ve been at La Corona once and I know Teddy Fairhurst very well!
I hunted at his ranch a few times and some years ago we used to meet very often. He is a splendid guy! I hunted Axis Deer there and a couple of times, I backed up my former boss on Buffalo hunting. Very nice place and intense hunting!

Both of you use the Ultra Dot, red dot sight. The one that I know I can get here for sure is the Tasco Pro Point. Would the Tasco stand the recoil of the .44 magnum?

Thanks.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures! I don't know how the Tasco will hold up, but I know the Ultradot will handle it without a hiccup. I've shot a couple of thousand heavy .475 Linebaugh loads with an Ultradot 30 perched on top of my Super Redhawk and it hasn't missed a beat -- oh, and it has fallen out of a treestand on more than one occassion -- but that's a story for another day!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: Whitworth] #51173 05/09/2009 2:33 AM
MrSmith4x44 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
The guy from the gunshop phoned me today and told me that the Redhawk happened to be satin stainless. I ordered it!
As I said before I prefer blue guns but, I can count with the obvious advantages of a ss gun so, be it.
Next week I´ll check it at the shop and do the paperwork.

I found some pictures from my last Wild Boar hunt and posted them on the Bragging Board.
I´ll add some related info later.

Re: New revolver in .44 [Re: MrSmith4x44] #51479 05/19/2009 2:02 AM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
Congrats on your new gun. One advantage to the Rugers with scope rings is that they can be removed and reattached in the field should the conditions warrant it. I like to use the iron sights up close at dawn and dusk, but switch to the scope once more daylight is available. To me it's the biggest advantage Ruger has over the other brands. Good luck with your choice. It'll serve you well.
BTW, welcome to the forum.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod