Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Suppressed Single Shot? #51260 05/12/2009 4:50 PM
too_many_hobbies Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have been wearing electronic muffs to shoot the 7mm-08 Lone Eagle in the picture, especially since it is equipped with a muzzle brake.

I was in the process of ordering a sound suppressor for a future 6.8 SPC weapon and I had an idea. I unscrewed the muzzle brake from the Lone Eagle and temporarily replaced it with a Black Out suppressor mount and mounted an AAC 7.62-SD sound suppressor. The extra 8" or so length and 19 ounces on the end of the barrel made it a little front heavy, but not to the extent I would have thought. Since the AAC M4-2000/6.8 suppressor I ordered is about 2" shorter and 2 ounces lighter, I think it would be practical with a relatively short barrel. I understand that the 6.8 SPC works quite well in shorter barrels down to 12.5" and even 10.5". With the newer 1:11 twist barrels and DMR chamber, one guy was claiming to get close to 3,000 fps with a 12.5" barrel.

Has anyone tried a sound suppressor on any of the single-shot pistols?

The Lone Eagle balances well due to the position of the grip. Would an Encore pistol with a 10.5" or 12.5" barrel with an extra 6", 17 ounce sound suppressor be too front heavy?

Does anyone make a barrel for a single-shot pistol with the newer specs to wring out the full performance of the 6.8 SPC?

Is there a source for barrels for the discontinued Lone Eagle?

"When it comes to hunting, I had rather have luck than skill any day."
Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: too_many_hobbies] #51262 05/12/2009 6:35 PM
RUG1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have not tryed them but check out SSK Industries, J.D. Jones, I think I saw something there.
Welcome to the site.It will be enjoyable to find out your results, I have wondered about it. Roger

Freedom is a gift, paid for by blood. Given for all to receive.
Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: RUG1] #51271 05/12/2009 11:31 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
 Originally Posted By: RUG1
...check out SSK Industries...

Checked out SSK's website and will call them tomorrow. They actually list 6.8 SPC as an available caliber in encore handguns. Since the owner is big on handgun hunting and the company manufactures silencers, they should be a good bet.

Thanks!

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: too_many_hobbies] #51278 05/13/2009 1:05 AM
RUG1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Your welcome, Glad I could help.

Freedom is a gift, paid for by blood. Given for all to receive.
Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: too_many_hobbies] #51303 05/13/2009 6:33 PM
TonyV Offline
Hey
Not to change the subject , But what is the brand of the holster in the picture ??? I have one I bought Used that I would like to get another holster for ,

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: TonyV] #51304 05/13/2009 9:01 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
 Originally Posted By: TonyV
...what is the brand of the holster in the picture ???...

Click on this link: Pistol Packaging

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: too_many_hobbies] #51346 05/15/2009 12:44 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
SSK is the way to go. His suppressed whisper cartriges are phenomenal. If I were to go that route, SSK is where I'd go.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #51354 05/15/2009 2:32 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
 Originally Posted By: Bullelk Hunter
...His suppressed whisper cartriges are phenomenal...

This is my AR-15 in 300 Fireball (the nontrademarked version of the 300 Whisper). I load it for around 1050 fps so there is no ballistic crack. In the picture it has a 16" barrel. I have since had the barrel shortened to 10.5" since that is all the length it needs to achieve subsonic velocities.

I am on a mission to shorten all my suppressed weapons. The fact that the 6.8 SPC works well with short barrels is what got me interested in the caliber for use with a suppressor. I am considering building something a little different in 6.8 SPC like a suppressed single-shot handgun.

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: too_many_hobbies] #51360 05/15/2009 4:06 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
how are you getting past the ATF with the shortened barrels?

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: wapitirod] #51363 05/15/2009 12:08 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
how are you getting past the ATF with the shortened barrels?

The "legal way" by filling out a Form 1 to register the lower (for an AR-15 type weapon) as an SBR and waiting for approval. You also have to engrave the lower with your name as if you are the manufacturer of the modified firearm. You also have to notify the BATF&E when you cross state lines with an SBR. You do not have to provide notification when you cross state lines with suppressed weapons.

Notification when crossing state lines with an SBR is one of the reasons I am considering building a handgun for my 6.8 SPC build. That way I can utilize a 12.5" barrel without being required to register the weapon as an SBR.

By the way, it cost me $200 for the tax stamp to turn the AR-15 into an SBR and another $200 for the tax stamp for the sound suppressor for a total "throw away" of $400.

Some states don't allow hunting with suppressed weapons. Arkansas does allow hunting for all game animals with suppressed weapons.

I am always amazed at how many people think that sound suppressors are illegal to own and use. Many of the European countries actually promote the use of sound suppressors. I try to always refer to the devices as sound suppressors as opposed to silencers just because of the negative stigma the word silencer seems to mean to some people as a James Bond killing device. Sound suppressors are not as quiet as portrayed by Hollywood. As a matter of fact, sound suppressor do nothing to reduce the mini sonic boom caused by bullets traveling faster than the speed of sound, sounding more like a 22 magnum downrange from the weapon. The beauty of the sound suppressor is that it reduces the muzzle report at the shooter's end of the weapon to the point that the shooter does not need hearing protection.

In my case, I already have some hearing loss due to driving a farm tractor during my early teenage years without a cab. I refuse to shoot a handgun or rifle without some sort of hearing protection. Sound suppressors also take out about half of the recoil by cooling down and reducing the speed and release of the hot gases that force the weapon back toward the shooter (recoil).

I think sound suppressors should be promoted as a hearing safe way of using weapons. They also make weapons more neighbor friendly.

Okay, I will shut up now...

Last edited by too_many_hobbies; 05/15/2009 12:40 PM.

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: too_many_hobbies] #51365 05/15/2009 4:25 PM
WolfTrap Offline
Been a long time since I've seem a LG!
Shot out a re-chambered 7BR to 7mm Odd-8 twenty years back
\:o

Ditto on your holster! Who created it?
Wolftrap

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: too_many_hobbies] #51369 05/15/2009 6:22 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Thanks, and Oregon is one that doesn't allow the suppressors. I figured there must be some application process and knowing the ATF I figured it would be stupid. I'm still working on getting my FFL but they don't seem to be in any hurry.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: WolfTrap] #51371 05/15/2009 7:31 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
 Originally Posted By: WolfTrap
...Ditto on your holster! Who created it?...

Click on the link I supplied in the post above for Pistol Packaging. You provide them with certain dimensions of your scoped handgun and they custom make the holster. You even specify the caliber of the weapon so they can include the correct diameter for the bullet loops.

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: too_many_hobbies] #51420 05/17/2009 3:07 PM
WolfTrap Offline
 Originally Posted By: too_many_hobbies
 Originally Posted By: WolfTrap
...Ditto on your holster! Who created it?...

Click on the link I supplied in the post above for Pistol Packaging. You provide them with certain dimensions of your scoped handgun and they custom make the holster. You even specify the caliber of the weapon so they can include the correct diameter for the bullet loops.

Gee, my hitting the page opens up the site, but any other actions not as successful. I'll do a direct site search later.
Thanx,
WT

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: too_many_hobbies] #51449 05/18/2009 6:00 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
SBR? Means what? Short Barrel Rifle???

Re: Suppressed Single Shot? [Re: Gregg Richter] #51456 05/18/2009 1:06 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
 Originally Posted By: stallionwest
SBR? Means what? Short Barrel Rifle???

You are correct, Short Barrel Rifle (SBR) is defined as a rifle barrel less than 16". Of course, handguns do not have this restriction.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod