Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
burris scopes loosing there zero #51321 05/14/2009 2:59 AM
flipajig Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
has anyone ever had a problem with burris scopes loosing there zero. mine is mounted on a 15in bullberry 7-30 waters. thanks

One shot is all you need
Aim small miss small.
Re: burris scopes loosing there zero [Re: flipajig] #51325 05/14/2009 4:03 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
There isn't a handgun scope made that is truly "bulletproof", but I'd first check my bases and rings to make sure they are tight. If it still won't hold zero contact Burris, they will stand behind it. What model is yours?

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: burris scopes loosing there zero [Re: s4s4u] #51335 05/14/2009 9:53 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
There have been alot of posts in the past few months about Burris failures, my guess is they made a change in quality control, manufacturing or both to save money and it's starting to tarnish their reputation. Everyone on here knows I'm a Leupold guy but I liked the Burris 3-12 but anymore I wouldn't buy one with failure rate climbing faster than the national debt.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: burris scopes loosing there zero [Re: wapitirod] #51336 05/14/2009 10:03 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
I wouldn't buy one with failure rate climbing faster than the national debt.

Hardly.

I've only ever owned three Leupold prodcuts and two of those failed. None of my Burris scopes have ever failed. From my perspective is appears that Leupold is a pretty poor product....though I know that is not true.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: burris scopes loosing there zero [Re: Dan B.] #51344 05/15/2009 12:29 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
I must be a very lucky fellow because I have a multitude of Leupolds, Burris on my big guns but have Simmons and Bushnell trophy's on some pretty wicked kickers and I only ever lost one and that was because the guy who shot my Rigby dropped the gun and cracked the eyepiece. Needless to say, Leupold even fixed it ofr free!! As far as I am concerned my Burris scopes are top shelf and what hasn't been said about Leupolds Fixed 4x on big boomers. I must say though that I did have Leupold failure. it was a 4X in the Leupold base and not the scope, on an unbraked 12" 444 Marlin. 4 shot sent the whole set-up past my left ear! 20 minues of cleaning screw holes and changing to Weaver base and rings solved that one---but the new muzzle brake probably save it too! For most of my deer hunting handguns, I use Leuie 4x or low powered adjustables. I find no need to woods-stalk with big variables.--my woodswalkers are my S&W 500 and my Performance center 44. JMHO!!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: burris scopes loosing there zero [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #51349 05/15/2009 1:06 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Dan, how many of those scopes are under 2 years old. I'll agree that the older Burris scopes were good but like so many things now days they are going down hill. I'll still hold that Leupold is the best you can do, up until recently the Europeans had the edge in rifle scope technology but with all the new Leupolds including the flagship VX 7 and Mark 4 they will go head to head with Swarovski or Zeiss which is a game burris can't even start to enter. If your old Burris scopes do it for you then great but where Leupold is grabbing the bull by the horns and going forward I see burris getting castrated by the bull. I can only go on what I see and in the past few months I think I may have heard of one Leupold failure and about a dozen Burris failures, particularly ones that wouldn't hold zero. I've owned two dozen or more Leupolds on guns from the 17HM2 up to the 458 Lott on rifles and 44 mags to the 500 S&W and haven't lost zero yet so going with personal experience I have to stand by what I said.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: burris scopes loosing there zero [Re: wapitirod] #51352 05/15/2009 2:08 AM
flipajig Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
one thing that i faild to say is that it dose have LEUPOLD base and rings.ive thought about picking up a wever base and rings to see if that might help my problem. I bought the rig used so i dont know the history. the barrel and scope are verry clean and apeair to be in first class shape.

One shot is all you need
Aim small miss small.
Re: burris scopes loosing there zero [Re: flipajig] #51359 05/15/2009 3:59 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
as much as I like Leupold bases on my rifles all my handguns wear weaver style bases, revolver and single shots alike. I use them for two reasons, first I can adjust the scope position better with the weaver system than the Leupold and the other is I use 3 rings on all my variables and 4 rings on my fixed powers. When you use only two rings you will have more scope tube deflection which will shorten the life of any scope and the longer the scope the worse the deflection and the Burris scopes are the longest of all the handgun scopes that I know of so I would recommend changing although the 7-30 is no boomer.

Re: burris scopes loosing there zero [Re: wapitirod] #51382 05/16/2009 6:05 AM
BUBBA Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I had my 3x9 burris on a 375 jdj. It lost zero after a couple hundred rounds. Sent it in for repair in January and just received it back in April. It kept point of aim (with tsob mount and four rings) for exactly 20 rounds. After speaking to the rep at Burris, he indicated that he will fix it, again, or replace it. In the mean time I put a 15 year old Leupold 4x on the 375 and problem is solved. Don't get me wrong, the eye relif on the Burris is second to none. But I can't say that I have had much luck with their products as of late. To be completely honest, I did blow apart a leupold when it was mounted on a 500 smith. Six of one, half dozen of another!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod