Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
# of shots to ruin a barrle??????? #52590 06/23/2009 5:23 PM
hunlee Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Hi there hunlee hear!!!!!!!!Hunlee has come here today to ask a question????????There is a guy that shoot silly wets that is selling off couple of contender barrles!!!!!!!!!!!One is 22 hornet an the other is 357 maximum!!!!!!!!!Hunlee has no interest in the hornet butt the 357maximum has interest up!!!!!!!Man say he has shot thousnds of rounds out of it but she still is shoot good!!!!!!!!Hunlee is worried about maybe with thousnads of bullits comming throu the barrel maybee the barrel is shot out!!!!!!!!Hunlee sure is not wanting to get screwed so opinions from you please!!!!!!!!This man told hunlee he used the 357maximun for "big bore" compatition shootin and for many years!!!!!!!!!many thanks in advanve frum hunlee

hunlee

Hunlee is friend to all,,,Is a lover not a fighter and has fathered many children!!!!
Re: # of shots to ruin a barrle??????? [Re: hunlee] #52607 06/24/2009 2:54 AM
hunlee Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Surelly somebody can help Hunlee with this!!!!!!!Hunlee has never shot out a barrel butt Hunlee has never shot thousands of bullits throu one either!!!!!!!!Someone hear should be as discribed above shooting so many rounds and ruining a barrle!!!!!!!!Maybe a 357max will not cause eroseion like some butt Hunlee sure in not wanting a screwing!!!!!!!

many thanks in advance for advice,,,,
hunlee

Hunlee is friend to all,,,Is a lover not a fighter and has fathered many children!!!!
Re: # of shots to ruin a barrle??????? [Re: hunlee] #52613 06/24/2009 1:31 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Most problems occur with small bore/fast twist barrels used for benchrest/long range activities in high velocity chamberings. The Max, running at under 2k with a relatively slow twist really shouldn't have issues if cared for properly. Is it a factory tube? Some factory barrels had fairly long throats which may hamper accuracy, but mine shoots just fine although with only hundreds of rounds down the pipe. Depending on what he is asking for it I don't think you would be screwed.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: # of shots to ruin a barrle??????? [Re: s4s4u] #52614 06/24/2009 2:05 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
cant tell ya much about the 357max, but ive shott over 5000 rnd of copper jacket round through my tokerav at about 1450fps. she still shots just fine.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: # of shots to ruin a barrle??????? [Re: bluecow] #52660 06/26/2009 7:23 PM
sixgunner454 Offline
I'm not by anymeans even close to a professional, I'm just a hunter/ paper-puncher but, I might be able to help you. Try using a set of decent, accurate set of dial indicators and mic the barrel see if it matches the proper bore size for the caliber being used. If you don't have a set, take a bullet and see if it is unable to manually push it into the bore. If it is a good deal and my suggestions work for you, it might be worth it. This is just my opinion, it might not be technical but that's what I would do.

Re: # of shots to ruin a barrle??????? [Re: sixgunner454] #52716 06/28/2009 5:19 PM
VaPredHunter Offline
stranger
stranger
I'm more of a rifle shooter then pistol shooter but when compatition shooters say they have shot there barrels out. You have to think there scale is a whole lot tighter then most shooters. A new rifle barrel might shoot 1/2" 5 shot groups. But after 2000 or more rounds it might only shoot 1" to 1 1/2" groups. This would make it useless to a comp shooter but still fine for hunting and plinking. Allowing the average guy another couple thousand rounds before its trash. Just my 2cents Good Luck Chris

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod