Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone Else Hunt With a Desert Eagle? #4397 10/16/2004 2:54 PM
SeanVHA60013 Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone else here hunt with a Desert Eagle Pistol? I have sold them to customers for years, but had never really given them serious consideration for my hunting purposes until this year.

Well, several months ago I finally broke down and purchased one, and I liked it so much that I now have two: A DE Mark I in 357mag with 3 barrels, a 6",10" w/muzzle brake, and a magnaported 14" w/4x Leupold scope. I also have a 41mag slide and two barrels, a 6" and a 10", and I have another DE, a Mark XIX in 44mag with a 6" barrel.

All of them wear a rear Millett adjustable target sight and a front Millett sight, and since the pics were taken, I have fitted them with the Hogue finger groove grips that MRI sells for them. A BIG improvement over the stock grip.

I have found these pistols to be exceptionally accurate and extremely reliable [no jams or failures to feed, though you must use full power ammunition in them].

I also do NOT find them to be unwieldy or inordinately heavy to handle. To me, they are like owning semi-auto Contenders

The only drawbacks to me are: they are NOT cheap, and you cannot use cast bullets in them.

Beyond that, I personally find that they are very versatile, as I can do almost any sort of 125 yard varmint control with my 14" 357 w/4x Leupold scope and 158grn hp's, I can do whitetail deer damage control work with any of my barrels, and I can load up the 44mag Mark XIX with 300grn XTP's and take anything on the east coast.

I also plan on getting a 10" 50AE barrel and a few mags for the Mark XIX, in order to be equipped to take any game in North America.

Does anyone else here hunt with the Desert Eagle?

Re: Anyone Else Hunt With a Desert Eagle? [Re: SeanVHA60013] #4398 10/16/2004 4:50 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Hunting with a semi auto, just squirrels with my MKII. I was in a gun shop a while ago and saw this big huge semi auto with about a ten inch vent rib barrel. I was sure it wasn't a Desert Eagle. Dude behind the counter said it was a Wildey. It's a cool looking gun.

Have you seen the Wildeys? They have a fixed barrel with optional lenghts up to 18". They even have a stock to make a crbine out of it.

Here's the link; WILDEY

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Anyone Else Hunt With a Desert Eagle? [Re: Tigger] #4399 10/16/2004 4:58 PM
SeanVHA60013 Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings! Yes, I have seen the Wildey: they are a neat gun, very cool looking, handle very well, and they are as accurate as the DE, but the drawbacks are: you must tune the gas-operation rings to each load, so one cannot carry two or three mags with different loads and quickly match the load to the game like you can with the DE, and they cost at least twice what my DE's cost!

The Wildey was the only other big caliber semi-auto in the running when I decided on the DE.

Re: Anyone Else Hunt With a Desert Eagle? [Re: SeanVHA60013] #4400 10/17/2004 1:57 AM
XP_Nut Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I had a 44mag when they first came out. Took alot of deer with it wish I had keeped it.

One Good Shot...Is All I Need.
Re: Anyone Else Hunt With a Desert Eagle? [Re: XP_Nut] #4401 10/17/2004 2:17 AM
Raoul Offline
stranger
stranger
I have a 6" MK VII .44 mag. I used to shoot it a lot, but my eye sight isn't as good as it used to be, so the fixed sights are hard for me to see now. The only thing I've hunted with it are ground hogs. It's pretty much right on at 100 yards, and a lot of fun to shoot.

Re: Anyone Else Hunt With a Desert Eagle? [Re: SeanVHA60013] #4402 10/17/2004 3:24 PM
PistolHNTR Offline
Shot my first Black bear with a 6" 50 ae desert eagle a few years ago. Great guns. Had a 440 corbon barrel too, but it never would cycle relaiably

Re: Anyone Else Hunt With a Desert Eagle? [Re: PistolHNTR] #4403 10/17/2004 3:38 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
Owned a DE in 44 mag for a short time. Didn't like the idea of not being able to shoot cast bullets. Also, the idea of the brass ejecting to the rear and hitting me in the head wasn't too pleasant. Also, didn't like chasing the brass all over so I could reload. Funny about brass once it hits someone in the head it flies in different directions. Would I own another, heck no. Also, can't compare to t/c. Some states allow you to hunt with a t/c but not a semi-auto, ie PA.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: Anyone Else Hunt With a Desert Eagle? [Re: magman] #4404 10/18/2004 2:18 AM
SeanVHA60013 Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:

Owned a DE in 44 mag for a short time. Didn't like the idea of not being able to shoot cast bullets. Also, the idea of the brass ejecting to the rear and hitting me in the head wasn't too pleasant. Also, didn't like chasing the brass all over so I could reload. Funny about brass once it hits someone in the head it flies in different directions. Would I own another, heck no. Also, can't compare to t/c. Some states allow you to hunt with a t/c but not a semi-auto, ie PA.

Magman, Greetings! I have never had it happen to me, but I know of and have had customers have the "brass in the head" phenomenon, and it is attributed entirely to weak springs. Sometimes the factory springs RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX are too weak, and sometimes the weakness shows up between 800-1200 rounds.

The Sollution is a set of Extra power springs, which solve the problem entirely.

As for the chasing of brass, I guess the inconvenience depends upon where one is coming from. I do not particularly mind chasing the brass at my home range, as it is no different for me than when I chase 45acp or 9mm brass. Like the 1911 Bullseye shooters I hang out with from time to time, I hardly notice.

That really sucks that you cannot hunt with a semi auto handgun in PA. Our rules are quite different - QUOTED from the VDGIF website: "Pistols and revolvers are lawful for deer and bear hunting only in those counties where hunting deer and bear with rifles is lawful. Cartridges used must be .23 caliber or larger and have a manufacturer’s rating of 350 foot-pounds muzzle energy or more."

So, we have it a lot better down here in terms of handgun hunting

Re: Anyone Else Hunt With a Desert Eagle? [Re: SeanVHA60013] #4405 10/18/2004 12:24 PM
mark1 Offline
stranger
stranger
Yes I hunt with MK1 in .357, 158gr ammo. Nice shooting and a joy to look at. Sometimes brass hitting you in the can attributed to weak wristing. Mine eject out the side but my brother shoots it and it hits him in the head.
I opted for the .357 since my hand cannon is a Raging bull .480. Tried to carry both once but way to heavy. Happy shooting!

Re: Anyone Else Hunt With a Desert Eagle? [Re: mark1] #4406 10/22/2004 11:36 PM
SeanVHA60013 Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:

Yes I hunt with MK1 in .357, 158gr ammo. Nice shooting and a joy to look at. Sometimes brass hitting you in the can attributed to weak wristing. Mine eject out the side but my brother shoots it and it hits him in the head.
I opted for the .357 since my hand cannon is a Raging bull .480. Tried to carry both once but way to heavy. Happy shooting!

Greetings! I love my 357mag DE! Mine favors the 180grn Partition Gold in terms of accuracy, though there are some 158grn loads that come close. I just picked up an alloy framed Mark I 357 for a customer. 14" barreled model. Very nice trigger, and upon test firing, it too throws the brass where my other DE's do: 10feet to the right and back from where I stand.

You are right about limp wristing being another contributing factor to brass hitting folks in the head. It does not take a giant to shoot one though, just a good steady firm grip. I find that my DE's recoil less than any of my big bore revolvers did, a feature I find to be a wonderful advantage of the DE

They are big, but not unwieldy: here is a pic of my Mark XIX being held one handed.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod