Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Take your spouse shooting! #53755 08/01/2009 3:08 AM
bobhanson1 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I had been encouraging my wife to come to the range with me to learn to safely use my .40 S+W Baby Eagle/Jericho as it's small enough for her to use. She's fired a shotgun before, but never handguns and was more than a little apprehensive about going. Once there, she blew through all 250 rounds I had! She also found herself a pretty nice S+W small frame revolver complete with pink grips that she now has to have! Hard to argue with that
\:\)
She comes straight from the city and her mother is hardcore antigun, but I've now been successful in getting both her and her younger brother into shooting. She may never go hunting with me, but I'm sure I'll always have someone to go to the range with now!

Re: Take your spouse shooting! [Re: bobhanson1] #53760 08/01/2009 3:56 AM
Renster of N.H. Offline
bob,

Whew! Tough row to hoe with an anit-gun mother in-law. Good luck with that.
My wife and I have been married 22 years, and though she is not a hunter/shooter herself, grew up with a father who was and still is a serious deer hunter, and even dabbles in handloading.
Of course, being with me she has always been around guns of all types and various wide racked bucks hanging from the "buck tree" and mounted on the den walls, as well as other various small game and birds in bloody hunting vests. So, she certainly is not opposed to guns in any way, she's just not interested. That being said, about 10 years ago my department sponsered a "ladies only" gun safety course for the general public. Out of the blue she asked if I thought she should take the course. I heartily encouraged her to do so. Long story short our instructor at the time lauded that she was the best in the class at basic theory, safe handling, and shooting by a long shot (no pun intended). I was so very proud of her. Yes, growing up with a hunter/shooter father and being married to me all those years may have helped her a bit in class, but understand that she had no interest in shooting what so ever. She just happened to have (unknown to either of us) a natural instictual ability to shoot, especially handguns. The woman is a cracker jack shot even today, and I don't actually remember the last time she went shooting with me. Last year sometime maybe. But I'd swear that she could pick up my GP 100 tomorrow and literally outshoot me with it, without even trying. However, she has no aspirations to handle anything heavier than the .357, so I've definately got it all over her with my .44!

Ha! After all, I've got to be better than her at "something"! (I can also lift heavier objects than her, and put them where she tells me too
)

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: Take your spouse shooting! [Re: Renster of N.H.] #53765 08/01/2009 6:12 AM
SCOTTx88 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Just did,last week. Only shot the small stuff though.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” Karl Marx/BHO
Re: Take your spouse shooting! [Re: SCOTTx88] #53767 08/01/2009 7:25 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
my wife still hunts with me but I have to fight with her to go to the range, she has got a swelled head since I put her on three trophy blacktails in 5 years and she took everyone clean with one shot on her own, and of course the last year we hunted mulies she killed a heavy antlered 24" wide 5 1/2 year forky. Of those 4 deer all were within 5 inches of making book and two did before deductions with the biggest missing by 5/8 of an inch. In the 10 years we have been married she has killed 8 bucks which is pretty good in a state that has a 15% success rate on deer.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Take your spouse shooting! [Re: wapitirod] #53770 08/01/2009 11:08 AM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
Lucky Bastards! My wife keeps telling me if I teach her to shoot, she may shoot me one day! LOL

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Take your spouse shooting! [Re: Jeremy] #53775 08/01/2009 12:53 PM
MIHunter Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My wife likes to shoot but I don't like taking her when other people are around because she usually out shoots me. Now I sleep with 1 eye open. LOL

Re: Take your spouse shooting! [Re: MIHunter] #53781 08/01/2009 2:36 PM
kynardsj Offline
journeyman
journeyman
My wife won't hunt but loves for me to take her to the range. Doesn't like the big bore guns but will wear out a 22 and is pretty good with them. Rifles or pistols. She did say that she wanted to shoot my PT 1911 AR. About 1 or 2 shots will probably fix that.

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Re: Take your spouse shooting! [Re: kynardsj] #53806 08/01/2009 11:49 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
My wolf has her own MKII and loves to shoot it. She also tags along on charlie hunts every now and then. I wrote about one such outing. Here is the link;;

The Date

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Take your spouse shooting! [Re: Tigger] #53816 08/02/2009 12:52 AM
RUG1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Not in 17 years, by chance tonight my wife shot my Encore with the 15" 22 lr barrel on it. That was cool.

Freedom is a gift, paid for by blood. Given for all to receive.
Re: Take your spouse shooting! [Re: RUG1] #53823 08/02/2009 7:13 AM
pter1020k Offline
addict
addict
my wife made me get her a p22 we manage to get away from the kids every few months and go to the range.

Genesis chapter 1 verse 26

When shooting a single shot their are no warning shots.

Keith
Re: Take your spouse shooting! [Re: pter1020k] #58067 11/01/2009 5:16 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
My wife grew up with brothers that hunted but it took me a couple of years to get her to hunt.She dosent like the cold. Finally got her hunting early season with a bow ,then a gun and now .She has her own deer on the wall and a 6.5 sweedish mauser in the safe.Now I dont have to explain how i can stay in the woods all week. She has the gear packed and is ready to go before I am. Take her hunting and shooting if you can.keep it short and fun with no pressure and you have a shooting and hunting partner for life

junebug
Re: Take your spouse shooting! [Re: junebug] #58074 11/01/2009 1:52 PM
rawhide kid Offline
My wife was an excellent shot, often out shooting the guys in our "Every-other-Thursday breakfast/shoot". Then she got hit with firbromylasia. She still does good for about two mags then can't hold it up like she used to. Doesn't stop her from buying herself a Berreta 92 this week though. Something else to reload for.

NRA LIFE MEMBER, Retired Air Force: SS Ruger Bisley 5.5 45LC, EAA Witness 38Supr, S&W 625 Mnt Gun in 45LC

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 48 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod