Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
3 Screw Super Blackhawk? #54883 08/28/2009 4:55 PM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I plan to hunt with my dads 3 screw Super Blackhawk this fall. This is the gun that started my fascination with handguns. It was the first big bore handgun I shot. I have a few new model Rugers, but other than shooting this gun 25+ years ago, I have not been around 3 screw models, so I have a few questions.

Other than keeping the hammer on an empty chamber, are there any issues I need to be aware of with the early model SBH?

When carried in the field, should the hammer be in the fired position or the hammer safety position?

Are there any strength issues with the old models and heavy loads?

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: pab1] #54896 08/28/2009 8:27 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I don't know of any strength issues with the super blackhawk 3 screw but the older 3 screw blackhawks are not as strong which is why you normally only see them converted up to 44spcl. When I carried my 357 which I converted to 44 I always carry with the hammer down, I'm not sure one is better than the other but I feel better with the hammer seated that way if something wierd happened and the cylinder rotates you keep your toes. I also worried about the hammer being easier to snag on brush in the half cock positions. I wish they had stayed away from the transfer bar system there is something about the action on the old 3 screw and colts that I just really like.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: wapitirod] #54912 08/28/2009 11:07 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
Pab,

No worries with that 3 screw. It should certainly be capable of digesting any factory load - even heavy ones. As Rod suggests, carry it with the hammer all the way down on an empty cylinder.

Rod, I know exactly what you mean about the old 3 screw action. Have you had a 2006 50th Anniversary Blackhawk in your hands? Not the recent "super" - the 2006 Blackhawk. It is identical to the original 1956 .44 flat top in every way except for the transfer bar and the reverse indexing pawl. It even clicks 3 times! In my humble opinion, my 50th Anniversary Blackhawk is the very sweetest Ruger single action that I have ever held, and owned. If you haven't had one in your hands you are missing a treat!
Warning - DO NOT have cash in your pocket if you do hold one. I suspect, as happened to me, it will mysteriously vanish before your very eyes!

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: Renster of N.H.] #54917 08/29/2009 12:06 AM
rawhide kid Offline
If that three screw hasn't been to the factory for the FREE Safety upgrade you or your dad should condider sending it. They return all changed parts so the historic value is still there and it still stops as before. Best of both worlds!

NRA LIFE MEMBER, Retired Air Force: SS Ruger Bisley 5.5 45LC, EAA Witness 38Supr, S&W 625 Mnt Gun in 45LC
Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: rawhide kid] #54919 08/29/2009 12:27 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I refuse to send mine in for the update, I've handled the converted guns and they aren't the same as with the original parts and if your smart enough to carry it on a empty chamber you'll be fine. The only reason they went to the transfer bar was because of lawsuits from those that hadn't figured out after a 100+ years of the same technology that you only carry five in the cylinder if you like your toes.

Renster, my wife doesn't let me have any money when I go to the gun shops anymore. The real bummer about that is I was in a pawn shop a few months ago and they had a 3 screw Super Blackhawk in excellent condition with the original box and papers for 500.00 but she wouldn't let me buy it. Ever since I've had to go on SSDI I haven't been able to squirrel away money like I used to before I got hurt, back then I'd bought the gun and told her it was only 250.00
;\)

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: wapitirod] #54935 08/29/2009 4:58 AM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Thanks guys! I want to be sure I don't do anything to damage the gun due to my ignorance of the old model. I had forgotten that the 3 screw model had the 4 position hammer. Does anyone use the hammer safey position on their SA revolvers? I carry my FA .454 with the hammer in this position in the field as the owners manual recommends. Whats the difference between keeping it in the fired position rather than the hammer safety position as long as the hammer is over an empty chamber?

Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: pab1] #54939 08/29/2009 5:08 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I don't know why they would recommend half cock over the hammer down like I said in my earlier post I feel more comfortable with it down and all the old timers I've talked to always talk about the hammer down on a empty cylinder when carrying the colts or old rugers.

Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: wapitirod] #54941 08/29/2009 5:20 AM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
The hammer safety position engages before the half cock position. Its about 1/8" back from the fired position. I have never understood what is engaged to make this position safer than the fired position over an empty chamber.

Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: pab1] #54943 08/29/2009 6:48 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
your right but I am just in the habit of calling the safe position half cock going back to my Hawkens. I don't know that it is any safer than being all the way down other than it's not compressing the firing pin spring but it is safer than being back any further as it's not as likely to hang on brush or other obstructions causing it to snap back.

Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: wapitirod] #54945 08/29/2009 9:46 AM
rawhide kid Offline
Before you should carry any handgun in the half-cock position you should check it for wear. With the gun empty place it in the half-cock position then push on the back of the hammer,(keeping the finger off the trigger). If the notch is worn the hammer will fall and needs repair. This is very common in older handguns. I will not argue that the modified guns feel different, all the ones I have handled did not and I worked with a gunsmith for five years. We all have our own oppinions. Being on an empty is certinnaly safe and shoosing to limit yourself to five shots is your choice.

NRA LIFE MEMBER, Retired Air Force: SS Ruger Bisley 5.5 45LC, EAA Witness 38Supr, S&W 625 Mnt Gun in 45LC
Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: rawhide kid] #54959 08/29/2009 6:18 PM
elkbelch Offline
I don't need coorperate lawyers to protect me from myself thanks.

Shawn

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Roosevelt 1913
Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: wapitirod] #54960 08/29/2009 6:43 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
I am just in the habit of calling the safe position half cock going back to my Hawkens.

I think you are right Rod… I think the expression “going off half cocked” is a old BP term.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: TCTex.] #54964 08/29/2009 8:13 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
yes sir it is, in fact in the last week I saw a show on the history channel where they were talking about that and also
R Lee Ermey was talking about it on his show.

Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: wapitirod] #54966 08/29/2009 8:28 PM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
So what is the purpose of the hammer safety position (not half cock)? Was it a step along the way in developing a safe way to carry a fully loaded SA? Handguns are still being made with this feature. My FA manual recommends carrying the gun in the field with the hammer in the safety postion over an empty chamber, rather than in the fired/hammer forward postion over and empty chamber.

I carry all my guns with the hammer over an empty chamber, whether they have a transfer bar or not. My 5 shot guns are 4 shot and my 6 shot guns are 5 shot. I know that it is not supposed to be possible for them to fire with the hammer down, but I still feel better packing them that way. I'm just curious about the purpose of the hammer safety position.

Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: pab1] #55208 09/05/2009 1:44 AM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
Not sure why this notch was originally intended for. Maybe at the time this revolver design was invented, it was considered safe to carry a gun like this. Note that dropping a gun on it's hammer when in this position will shear that notch off the hammer.

BTW, IMO the converted OM guns have the worst trigger of any of the Rugers. I've found them to be gritty, heavy, chock full of creep, and have a bottomless amount of overtravel. I'd leave the gun alone if you feel safe in handling it. If not, I'd buy a NM instead of converting the OM.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: bisleyfan44] #55221 09/05/2009 5:13 AM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
They won't be getting their hands on this one!

Re: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk? [Re: pab1] #56226 09/29/2009 10:11 PM
Racer X Offline
Does the Old Model SBH cylinder have countersunk chambers? If not, carry the gun with 5 rounds plus an empty round in the 6th chamber.

The reason for the 6th round is to provide support to the loading gate, whose spring can fail if the gate is not supported by a cartridge rim (or empty case), and tie up the gun.

On cylinders with countersunk chambers, an empty chamber has less space between it and the cylinder, thus providing more support to the loading gate. New Model Blackhawks do not have recessed (countersunk) chambers.

Last edited by Racer X; 09/29/2009 10:15 PM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod