Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
broken encore help #55309 09/07/2009 6:57 PM
bare-hunter Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I have an encore that is now a rifle(sometimes handgun)and so today I went to the range to try some new 25-06 ammo I bought I loaded the thing and aimed pulled the trigger and chick it dident go off opened it up and the round had a dimple in the primer so I tryed again and the same thing happened.The second time I was paying more attention to the hammer and It was like it only went part way down and then relaxed the rest of the way what do you guys think.I would also like to know if you think I should send It back to tc for repair or try to get it done localy.We are in poor shape for good gunsmiths here in sw washington.thanks in advance

MB
Re: broken encore help [Re: bare-hunter] #55310 09/07/2009 7:26 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
That Encore has a lifetime warrantee of course. However, it appears that you are clear across the country from here (New Hampshire). That would not normally be a big problem if it were not for;
A.) The poor and convoluted shipping policies of both UPS and the USPS. (someone will be along to tell you of first hand experience)
B.) The generally slow turn around and inconsistant service from TC these days. TC is not the TC of 10 or even 5 years ago. It's Smth & Wesson "north". If I have a problem with a TC product I can just zip right over to Rochester - a 30 minute drive for me. Though I would not enjoy having to return to Rochester more than once should TC be less than satifactory in service (A high probability), in my humble opinion, if I were you I would seek the service of a local smithy, even if it meant having to pay for it. In the end, you would likely get the Encore fixed in a jiff and even if not, at least the smithy would be local should you need to return.
There was a time that I would have said to you - "yeah that Encore has a lifetime warrantee and TC will square it away pronto!". That time is gone forever I'm afraid.

Renster of "Northwood" New Hampshire
\:\)

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: broken encore help [Re: Renster of N.H.] #55311 09/07/2009 7:49 PM
larry223 Offline
addict
addict
there a bunch of guys on here that could walk you thru it and
i think you will be able to fix it hang on and check this post.
larry

tc,s 223 35rem 7-30 waters 6.5jdj 375
30/30ai 6mm/223 22lr
encores 7mm-08 308
redhawk 44mag.
Re: broken encore help [Re: larry223] #55317 09/07/2009 10:30 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
is that the only barrel and ammo you are having problems with? If it fires normally with another barrel or different ammo it may be a headspace problem either with the factory ammo or the chamber on the barrel. There really isn't alot to go wrong internally unless it broke a hammer spring but you would feel it when you cock the hammer. If the hammer pull is normal it's most likely in the ammo or barrel but I'd try some different ammo and another barrel and then let us know what happens. The headspace issue is very common and I just fought it on my step dad's 30-06 barrel with factory ammo but since I reload I just adjust the headspace on some used brass I have and the problem was fixed but in all reality it shouldn't happen with factory ammo but it might just be the brand or batch you got.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: broken encore help [Re: bare-hunter] #55326 09/07/2009 11:44 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Make sure you have the grip screw extremely or completely tight. If it's not as tight as possible, the hammer may not lock back or the hammer willbe be slow or very light. Check this out before you mail it back!!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: broken encore help [Re: bare-hunter] #55329 09/08/2009 1:21 AM
bobhanson1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
If you put a hammer extension on it, take it off and try it without as when I first got my Encore I stupidly put one on there and if misfired with every load I tried. Got rid of it and no problems. The other thing to check before you give up is to make sure the scope base isn't impeding the action closing all the way. I've had two (out of roughly 10) older Leupold bases that were a little to long and actually prevented the action from closing. A little filing and the problem was solved (the primer would be dented which was a little scary since the action wasn't locked!) The newer Leupold bases don't hang over the back of the action like the older ones did.

Re: broken encore help [Re: bobhanson1] #55378 09/08/2009 11:58 PM
bare-hunter Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
thanks guys for all the help.I cant find any place that the hammer is being impeaded or stop everything is tight so iam thinking maybe it it the new ammo I bought because the old ammo worked fine(before)so iam going to take it out on wed and see if the old ammo works.Ill come back and give you guys a report.TC service dept sucks so far spent an hour today try to talk to them maybe I will have better luck wed

MB
Re: broken encore help [Re: bare-hunter] #55432 09/09/2009 11:58 PM
bare-hunter Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
well the result of shooting was interesting.what I did was check all the moving parts then checked scope mount and trigger extention all seamed to be in order so I loaded the same round that misfired pulled back the hammer and pulled the trigger click so the next move was to try the other brand loaded pulled the trigger and bang it fire just like it should and hit the target right where it should i shot 5 more times and it worked great.put the 223 barrel on and it worked great.so what do you guys think.Iam sending win arms an email and see what they can do..

MB
Re: broken encore help [Re: bare-hunter] #55437 09/10/2009 1:52 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Yup that batch of ammo is a little under the normal specs and it goes into the chamber a little far. The firing pin gives a light strike and no ignition.

Thought: do you have a 25-06 bolt rifle? Use the problem factory rounds in the rifle to harvest the brass for reloading for the Encore. Do you reload?

Or a friend that could use the ammo? Make a trade or sell it to him.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: broken encore help [Re: bare-hunter] #55443 09/10/2009 2:13 AM
tmaker Offline
Google Mike Bellm @ Bellm TC he has articals on this problem. Read what he has to say. It isnt a big deal to get to the bottom of this issue and it is kind of fun reserching the problem and fixing the problem yourself. I know I have traved down this road myself.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod