Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
pulling the big one #55991 09/25/2009 2:50 PM
cottonstalk Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Guys bow season is in here and the bucks are shedding their velvet,and still in bachelor groups.There have been 4 nice bucks seen within half a mile or closer to the area I plan to hunt.The area is scrub pines mostly with thick 10-15yr old pines on one side and 25+ yr old pines on one side and on the third side 7-10yr old pines and a pond,and on the other side scrubby 20yr old pines and a 5acre pond.I haven't had the best success on this property getting the big bucks to show themselves in enough daylight to get a shot.Most I never see.Does move around through this property all hours of the day.I am at a loss,what plan would you implicate to harvest one of the mature bucks using this area.(at dusk the other day a friend saw a 10 pointer that would score 130-140 going into the property from the 5acre pond block)

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: pulling the big one [Re: cottonstalk] #55994 09/25/2009 3:12 PM
MIHunter Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
In the early season if its hot I would set up near one of the ponds.
During the pre-rut I would set up a few mock scrapes and use scents to pull the deer in to you.

During the rut if the does stay in that area you have bucks on their feet moving all day long Take a lunch and stay all day.

Re: pulling the big one [Re: MIHunter] #55995 09/25/2009 4:22 PM
elkbelch Offline
Be there in early evening and morning. Soon one of the big boys will slip up and get up too early. As the pre ru closes in try rattling and a few grunts, and close to the thickest brush you have.

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Roosevelt 1913
Re: pulling the big one [Re: elkbelch] #56023 09/25/2009 11:58 PM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
I have a little trick that has fooled a few in the past. First off, pay very close attention to the wind. Try to stay up wind. It is the most important for this. I will walk well past where I am guessing he is. Then walk back to my stand slowly. Every 25-40 yards I will stop, open that little stank bottle of doe estrus. Sit for a few, close it then move, then open. Do this until you get to your stand, or even past your stand. He will follow that scent line in the direction you are going. Even if he is way in the woods. I like to think that not all bucks want to fight, but all of them want some nookie!

The first time I tried this I would see does come out all the time in one certain area. I did this trick and went 100-150 yards out in the bean field and sat down. About 30 minutes later here he came! And he was looking too. There I was with muzzleloader in hand and pulled a Rambo on him. Now he is on the wall. I believe that during the rut the mature bucks will kinda nest. Waiting for the hot mamma to come by. They are always going to tend the their rub line. Oh, this was a couple of hours before dark. It is worth a try.

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: pulling the big one [Re: Jeremy] #56026 09/26/2009 12:36 AM
sixtygr. Offline
stranger
stranger
If the rut is not on, try a small push. Find some thick escape cover, a bottle neck leading to it is perfect. Have a buddy slowly push, not a loud disruptive drive, a known early morning feeding area. You'll need to get in BEFORE the deer head back to bed, early. The idea is to get them moving, not scare the bejeebies out of them. Good luck!

Re: pulling the big one [Re: sixtygr.] #56030 09/26/2009 1:30 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Cottonstalk, I also live in NC. On a farm in Franklin County. I would say your best chance would be on the first few days of gun season. Before the deer have been run to death by 40 million dogs. After the local hunt clubs have run their dogs for a while most of the good bucks will become nocturnal. I have had great success baiting. Corn works fine, but the deer around here seem to love orchard grass hay. I put out a little Hog Wild, and the deer come. You will have to wait the does out for the buck to come, but if your patient, you'll get your buck.

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: pulling the big one [Re: Franchise] #56033 09/26/2009 1:40 AM
CashMoney Offline
stranger
stranger
+1 with that.......Franchise

Re: pulling the big one [Re: CashMoney] #56057 09/26/2009 12:33 PM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
Oh yeah I use to put out some big old piles of corn! VA made it illegal to bait or "feed" as they put it. You are not supposed to put anything out after Sept.1. The corn is successful. Not sure if it will pull the big one out or not!

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod