Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Scents: #56475 10/05/2009 6:12 PM
J. E. Markel Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
How Effective(If At All) Are They? Does Anybody Out There Use 'Em? I Just Found This Boy's Site Whilst Surfin' And It Looks To Me Like He's Got-It-Down-To-A-Tee:

http://www.inheatscents.net

P.S.

When He Finally Perfects The Cape_Buffy_P**s Formula I'll Come-A-Runnin' * * *

Last edited by J. E. Markel; 10/05/2009 6:16 PM.
Re: Scents: [Re: J. E. Markel] #56494 10/05/2009 11:40 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
J.E.

I myself do not use any "attractant" type scents. I'm more concerned about masking my own scent than smelling like deer, bear, coyote, or any other 4 legged critters P*$$. I'm a still hunter of the largest whitetail bucks I can find, and that type of hunting for that type of deer in Northern New England terrain often results in a fair amount of sweat. I do believe that a mature buck's nose is the most difficult sense to fool. So I also believe in covering my human odor to "some" degree. I utilize cover scents like Pete Rickards brands of hemlock, acorn, and fresh earth. All very common and calming scents for deer to routinely smell. Though I do, as I said, believe in covering your scent to some degree, I don't rely on it. Nor do I wear any scentlock type clothing. Though I'm sure there are fellas who will swear by it and give examples of how these things resulted in their hunting success, I sometimes feel the "skill" of HUNTING has been lost to gadjets, gimmicks and out and out cheats to make the hunt "easier". I simply hunt the old fashioned way and just plain pay attention to the wind. Just like the fellas who swear by the attractants and scentlock clothing, I could give countless examples of occasions that I have walked up on game or had it walk up on me simply because I have long since humbly but heartily aquired the skill to pay close attention to my surroundings while in hunting mode.

Cover scents?; absolutely.

Attractants?; Baaah. Why not just put out a salt lick or pile of apples in your back yard and shoot your deer from the kitchen window. (I've known fellas that do that) That way, you get yer deer and take yer pictures, but don't have to go through all that "huntin' stuff!
\:\)

Take Care J.E.

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: Scents: [Re: Renster of N.H.] #56510 10/06/2009 1:50 AM
elkbelch Offline
I use them when bow hunting with varied results. Sometimes they notice and other times not so much. Beats buying crafts, I have to have something to shop for while at the Walmart with the wife.
Not a gadget guy but scents, sure.

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Roosevelt 1913
Re: Scents: [Re: elkbelch] #56526 10/06/2009 2:03 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
On occasion but rarely.Like Renster I play the wind.If you can keep the wind in your face and out of theirs you can get away with alot.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod