Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just started reloading. #56577 10/07/2009 5:26 PM
minnesotahunter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Just started reloading, and wondering how important is it to clean your brass before reloading it. Do I need to buy a tumbler? What would be the ill effects of reloading without cleaning the brass?

Also, the only pistol primers I could find anywhere were large pistol primers. I reload for a 44mag Redhawk and the primers seem to work fine, but I am supposed to be using magnum primers. Would I see better performance if I was able to find mag primers?

The load I am shooting is a 300 grain Hornady JHP over 18 grains of Lil'Gun powder. The manual says this should push 1300 fps. Anyone have experience with this load combo? It seems to shoot well(1.5 inch groups at 25 yds using a 4 power TC pistol scope). This is without cleaning the brass or using the right primers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I just started doing this last week.

thanks

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: minnesotahunter] #56591 10/07/2009 9:19 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've never cleaned my brass. If you want to clean your brass and don't want to buy a tumbler and media, I have a recipe for a soak that will make it nice and shiny. I'm just too lazy.

Your primers are fine. If you change to a mag primer you will have to reduce your load and work up as if anew.

I don't have experience with that load but it should giterdun. Get a chronograph, it is the most useful tool you can get for reloading.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Just started reloading. [Re: s4s4u] #56592 10/07/2009 9:39 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
" Get a chronograph, it is the most useful tool you can get for reloading."Best advice ever!

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Just started reloading. [Re: cottonstalk] #56598 10/07/2009 11:48 PM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand
X3

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: rlb] #56614 10/08/2009 2:55 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks guys.

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: minnesotahunter] #56635 10/08/2009 2:17 PM
J. E. Markel Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I've Always Been A Bit Apprehensive About Case Polishing. My Fear Is Based On The Fact That You're Removing A Tiny Layer Of Brass From All Surfaces Of The Case Every Time You Tumble It In A Granular Medium. With The Case Thusly Getting Progressively-Thinner Each Time You Polish It You're Constantly Weakening It Ever-So-Slightly.

An Example:

The Gigantic .50 Sharps Caliber Brass Is Only An Incredible .008 Thick At The Case Mouth So It Would Definitely Not Be Wise To Remove Any Metal From It Unless Absolutely Necessary* * *

Last edited by J. E. Markel; 10/09/2009 2:28 PM.
Re: Just started reloading. [Re: J. E. Markel] #56645 10/08/2009 7:12 PM
elkbelch Offline
"If you want to clean your brass and don't want to buy a tumbler and media, I have a recipe for a soak that will make it nice and shiny. I'm just too lazy."

OK, I want this recipe. I have a tumbler but the noise drives me crazy.

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Roosevelt 1913
Re: Just started reloading. [Re: elkbelch] #56646 10/08/2009 8:07 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
1------Quart of water
1------Cup of White Vinegar
1/2----Cup Lemon Juice
1/4----Cup Liquid Laundry or Dishwashing Detergent

I use a small net bag to put brass in, agitate in cleaner every few minutes for 15 to 20 minutes, let drain back into container, rinse with water, hot or cold, I usually towl them off a bit, just drop the brass into a large towel fold and hold each end and agitate back and forth for a couple minutes. Allow to air dry overnight. You can tumble briefly after this if you want and get 'em really shiny.

I have also heard the "Purple Power" does a real good job when diluted 50/50, IIRC. You can buy at Wally's World.

Rod, too.

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: s4s4u] #56656 10/08/2009 10:27 PM
elkbelch Offline
Thanks, I'll try this out. I usually resize and deprime befor tumbling. If this works I won't have to spend the time picking out the flash hole.

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Roosevelt 1913
Re: Just started reloading. [Re: J. E. Markel] #56667 10/09/2009 2:28 PM
J. E. Markel Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: J. E. Markel

The Gigantic ".50 Sharps" Caliber Brass(140 Gr. Blk.Pwdr. Cap.)
Is Only An Incredible .008 Thick At The Case Mouth So It Would Definitely Not Be Wise To Remove Any Metal From It Unless Absolutely Necessary* * *

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:50-140_sharps.jpg

In Fact:

I'll Always Suspect That The Practice Of Rolling Those Huge(700 Gr.) Lead Bullets In "Kimberly" Stout Paper Before Seating Them In The Case Mouth With The Old Original "Lyman" Pliers-Press Was A Measure Which Was Necessary To Prevent The Case Wall Grip-Pressure On The Bullet From "Telescoping" Such Frail Brass.

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: minnesotahunter] #56672 10/09/2009 4:34 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
No ill effects of loading dirty brass. I have loaded 44 mags countless time without cleaning. I do check the primer pocket each time and keep the carbon build up cleaned out. I also want to define dirty brass. Usually discolored and dingy from use, or dull color from a little age. If there is a clod of something stuck to the brass or actual buildup on the case, that needs to be removed. A scotch bright pad will clean the brass well with little effort, and it's cheap.

I bought a 110 volt timer and keep my tumbler in the basement. That keeps the noise and dust out of the loading room, and I don't have to mind the tumbler as the timmer does that.

I've Always Been A Bit Apprehensive About Case Polishing. My Fear Is Based On The Fact That You're Removing A Tiny Layer Of Brass From All Surfaces Of The Case Every Time You Tumble It In A Granular Medium. With The Case Thusly Getting Progressively-Thinner Each Time You Polish It You're Constantly Weakening It Ever-So-Slightly.

I find it very hard to belive that tumbling brass would reduce enough material to ever make a differance. My 218 BEE brass is about .008-.009" thick at the case mouth. I have shot it several times and tumbled it several times and I see no ill effect on case wall thickness or reduced neck tension from deminished brass. I have seen the brass work hardened to the point of neck splits, but that is another topic all together.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Just started reloading. [Re: Tigger] #56676 10/09/2009 5:45 PM
J. E. Markel Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: Tigger

I find it very hard to belive that tumbling brass would reduce enough material to ever make a differance. My 218 BEE brass is about .008-.009" thick at the case mouth. I have shot it several times and tumbled it several times and I see no ill effect on case wall thickness or reduced neck tension from deminished brass. I have seen the brass work hardened to the point of neck splits, but that is another topic all together.

The Ideal Exercise Here Would Be To Resize,Load,Fire,& Generously-Tumble A Batch Of Cases (Say For Instance)5-10 Times And Employ A High-End Digital Micrometer(Before & After) To Gauge Each Of The Mouths And Determine If They've Shed-Off Enough To Be A Cause For Concern.
"Tigger" Just Reminded Us In The "Crimping" Thread That We Also Have To Consider The Gradual Stretching Of Cases That's Caused By Repeated-Firing And Resizing. This Will Naturally Thin-Out The Case Walls Very Slightly And It Seems To Me That Both Factors Combined Could Have A Most Undesirable Effect.

P.S.

Wooden Shaft Q-Tips Work Beautifully For Swabbing-Out Primer Pockets* * *

Last edited by J. E. Markel; 10/09/2009 6:09 PM.
Re: Just started reloading. [Re: J. E. Markel] #56677 10/09/2009 5:53 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Might be an interesting experiment.

If the same cases were fired 5 to 10 times without tumbling "cleaning" and then measured with the high end digital micrometers, I'll bet you would see more wear on the brass then the tumbling would ever do.

NRA Life Member

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: Tigger] #56728 10/10/2009 3:10 PM
anachronism Offline

Even with walnut shell media, I've never seen brass removed by tumbling, and I go through a lot of brass. Walnut media is softer than the brass, and therefore can't cause case erosion. Brass cases should be cleaned before reloading, to protect the reloading dies from getting embedded with grit, which ruins the dies, and also the next cases you size with that die. Polishing brass is not really necessary, that's more of a workmanship type procedure, but you do want clean cases to reload. Work hardening is probably the number one killer of brass cases, and that's difficult to get around with handgun cases because at least the case mouth should be resized to hold bullets in firmly. Chemical cleaning of cases is just fine. Just don't use anything with ammonia in it.

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: anachronism] #56800 10/12/2009 7:39 PM
223AIfan Offline
If you are loading only in small volume, Brasso and an old t-shirt works well.

Another thing, if you are at the range, give your brass a quick rub down from a small amount of bore cleaner like Butch's Bore Shine on a shirt. This will keep them pretty clean.

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: 223AIfan] #56803 10/12/2009 8:08 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for all the responces, I'm soaking up all this info like a sponge.

I have heard alot about cleaning primer pockets. The progressive reloader that I have puts the brass through the die and deprimes the case at the same time. Then it moves it over to the primer seater and powder filler, and over to the bullet seater. With this setup there is not a spot to clean the primer hole unless I pry the case out of the progressive press between stages.
I don't mind the dirty brass, or what it looks like, I just want to shoot ALOT. Is it harmful to reload without cleaning, or just for looks.
Also, what else shoud I know?

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: minnesotahunter] #56806 10/12/2009 8:39 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
It depends if you want precision accuracy or just plinking ammo. It's still advisable to clean the primer pockets to insure positive ignition.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Just started reloading. [Re: minnesotahunter] #56811 10/12/2009 11:36 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Is it harmful to reload without cleaning

Heck no.

Rod, too.

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: s4s4u] #56815 10/12/2009 11:45 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
But they don't look nearly as purdy.

Yes I do polish the brass, clean the primer pockets and put them in nice plactic boxes when I am done.

and Yes all the brass is the same brand in the same box.

I am an engineer remember

and no you can't have 47 rounds in a 50 box

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Just started reloading. [Re: anachronism] #56843 10/13/2009 5:06 PM
J. E. Markel Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: anachronism

Even with walnut shell media, I've never seen brass removed by tumbling, and I go through a lot of brass. Walnut media is softer than the brass, and therefore can't cause case erosion. Brass cases should be cleaned before reloading, to protect the reloading dies from getting embedded with grit, which ruins the dies, and also the next cases you size with that die. Polishing brass is not really necessary, that's more of a workmanship type procedure, but you do want clean cases to reload. Work hardening is probably the number one killer of brass cases, and that's difficult to get around with handgun cases because at least the case mouth should be resized to hold bullets in firmly. Chemical cleaning of cases is just fine. Just don't use anything with ammonia in it.

Ah...

Here's Where We See That The Science Of Physics Is As Decieving As It Is Complex. If Brass Was Immune To Erosive-Effect Of Rubbing Against Something So Soft As Nutshells Of Corncobs Then Our Copper & Nickel U.S. Coinage Would Likewise Be Immune To The Effects Of Tumbling In Pants-Pockets And Abrasion By Fingers & Hands. How Many Old Pennies & Nickels Have You Seen That Are So Heavily-Worn The Numbers & Letters On Them Are Barely Visible?

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: J. E. Markel] #56849 10/13/2009 7:52 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Quote:
With The Case Thusly Getting Progressively-Thinner Each Time You Polish It You're Constantly Weakening It Ever-So-Slightly.

you would wear it out by shooting/work hardening/spliting of the brass WAY before you weakened it enuff to even talk about with normal polishing. it's an issue not even worth talking about imo.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Just started reloading. [Re: KYODE] #56865 10/14/2009 1:08 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: KYODE

you would wear it out by shooting/work hardening/spliting of the brass WAY before you weakened it enuff to even talk about with normal polishing. it's an issue not even worth talking about imo.

DING DING DING!!!! You get the prize!!!!!

NRA Life Member

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: J. E. Markel] #56868 10/14/2009 1:39 AM
anachronism Offline
[/quote]

Ah...

Here's Where We See That The Science Of Physics Is As Decieving As It Is Complex. If Brass Was Immune To Erosive-Effect Of Rubbing Against Something So Soft As Nutshells Of Corncobs Then Our Copper & Nickel U.S. Coinage Would Likewise Be Immune To The Effects Of Tumbling In Pants-Pockets And Abrasion By Fingers & Hands. How Many Old Pennies & Nickels Have You Seen That Are So Heavily-Worn The Numbers & Letters On Them Are Barely Visible?
[/quote]

The coins get damaged in your pockets by rubbing against other coins, keys, pocket knives & other pocket stuffers. Newer coins are no longer made from copper or silver, so they tend to show less wear.

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: minnesotahunter] #56869 10/14/2009 1:44 AM
anachronism Offline
I don't want to start a war here, but Brasso makes brass less elastic over time because of it's ammonia content. I used to use Brasso a lot, but quit when my case life dropped to only 1-2 reloadings. There are plenty of effective case polishes out there to choose from. Brasso is great for brass furniture & other things that don't expand & contract. I had 41 & 44 magnum cases splitting their entire length within a maximum of 2 reloadings.

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: J. E. Markel] #56893 10/14/2009 5:43 PM
J. E. Markel Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Ah...

The coins get damaged in your pockets by rubbing against other coins, keys, pocket knives & other pocket stuffers. Newer coins are no longer made from copper or silver, so they tend to show less wear.

Also You Only Have To Look At The Erosion Of Riverbeds Caused By Nothing Other Than Water.Even Some Stone-Sculpture Carvings Are Done By Artists Using A Hyper-Pressurized Jet Of H2O * * *
[/quote]

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: J. E. Markel] #56894 10/14/2009 5:45 PM
J. E. Markel Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: KYODE
 Quote:
With The Case Thusly Getting Progressively-Thinner Each Time You Polish It You're Constantly Weakening It Ever-So-Slightly.

Correct Of Course:

But In The Extreme Case Of That Archaic .50-140 Sharps(With Its' 140 Gr. Black Powder Cap.) And Only .008 Worth Of Neck I'd Rather Not Push The Metal Thickness Factor Any Farther Than Necessary* * *

Re: Just started reloading. [Re: J. E. Markel] #57057 10/17/2009 6:06 PM
S.B. Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
By tumbling and cleaning your brass, after firing, in my experience, it will last longer(you'll get more reloads per piece of brass)?
HTHs, Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 110 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod