Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group #4656 11/03/2004 1:08 AM
BigZHunting Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello, I just stumbled across this website and am pretty impressed. Really need some help, I have a TC 44mag w/ a Leupold scope and I cannot get the thing to group for nothing. I have shot 185,215,235,240gr, none of these seemed to do any better than the other. It didn't shoot very well with iron sights, I have added Payc. grip and forearm this didn't do anything. Guys I really need some help, Bow season is running out quick and always looking for a challange would like to try my pistol. Thank you very much for any thoughts or comments.

Thank You Again
Zac Williams

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: BigZHunting] #4657 11/03/2004 1:59 AM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
First of all welcome aboard, if you want advice you have sure come to a place that is full of it. now your TC problem. Is your gun tight, sights secure, how are you holding it, how long have you been shooting handguns? I have never met a TC that couldn't shoot better than the operator. For me, benched and bagged works best for optic sights, and modified creedmore is rocksolid for open sights.
Is your bore reasonably clean? Do you reload? Even factory loads should give you reasonable groups. IMO the best thing you can do is practice.

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: BigZHunting] #4658 11/03/2004 2:01 AM
jim257 Offline
addict
addict
check all your mounting screws on the base,rings and all.was the scope new or used?what are you using for a rest,soft stuff or something hard?keep with it,you will enjoy the added challenge and BTW welcome aboard...jim257

get-r-done
Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: BigZHunting] #4659 11/03/2004 2:22 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
You need to be a little more specific on what "won't group" means. Does that mean won't shoot under an inch at 100 or won't shoot under a foot at 100? What size group are you expecting at what distance? Also what power scope?

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: Gary] #4660 11/03/2004 3:11 AM
MV Offline
stranger
stranger
I have to agree that we need to know what the group is and what is expected... I personally did not have any luck w/ pachmayer grip and the forend was a group spoiler for me. However I also cannot group w/ a .44 10inch contender cause I don't like the Blast. I don't feel that it is all abt recoil 'cause my 357 herret gives sub moa from the same bench...The best thing I can offer is to get a .22rf bbl(open sights are best) and shoot it alot ... (.22 Rimfire contenders always shoot) Then when you encounter a problem bbl. you can slip the .22 bbl on and prove that it is indeed the bbl. or.... shoot the .22 till ya get over whatever bad habit you have developed...We shoot 10 times more 22rf than all else together at my house.. Just my 2cents good luck

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: BigZHunting] #4661 11/03/2004 2:28 PM
ark_fireman Offline
stranger
stranger
Welcome to the group! I'm kinda scratching my head on this one too assuming your gun is tight. My First question is are you handloading? I've had a little problem with my 10" 44 shooting light bullets too hot but when I stepped them up to 240's the problem pretty much went away. You might back the load off a tad or maybe try a couple of 260's if thats not too heavy a bullet for your intended purpose.

Support your local Fire Department!
Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: BigZHunting] #4662 11/03/2004 7:23 PM
Cisco Offline
Howdy and WELCOME Zac and MV,

First thing that comes to mind for me is---Is your barrel copper free?

Could be your barrel and been shot a lot and have a copper buildup from long ago. Copper will kill your accuracy.

Another thought is---are you handloading your ammo? At this time I have a Contender, Ruger, and Marlin chambered for 44 mag. I can't seem to load anything that the TC & Ruger like very well. Have not loaded for the Marlin very much. Am unsure if I will give up on it or not.

BUT factory Hornady 300 gr XTPs shoot very well in all 3 of them. And 240s. So I just been using the factory loads even tho I would MUCH rather roll my own.

Like the others said--make sure all is tight---get your barrel copper free---try to place trigger guard up next to your front rest and try to shoot the same way every time. AND PRACTICE.

Thanks--JD

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: Cisco] #4663 11/04/2004 3:35 AM
MV Offline
stranger
stranger
Thanks for the welcome... I have been observing here off n on since I membered ??? last winter maybe?? anyway this forum caught my eye cause of the .44mag thing. My newest baby (a ruger super BH 4 5/8 bbl.) isn't shooting to poa. it's too high no matter what I use. If a mod or someone thinks I should start my own thread on this lmk... otherwise I will elaborate later...more on the subject, the BH won't soot the groups I have come to expect w/ the contender (I think that a contender will almost always shoot to 1 1/2 moa even if the shooter can't prove it on that day) Hoping to discover a secret 44 handload here.... Later and sorry so long winded....

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: MV] #4664 11/04/2004 10:41 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'm with the rest of the fellas...need a little more info. I have two 10" .44 Mag's and a Super 14 .44 Mag. All shoot great with whatever I feed them...all I shoot are reloads. If you reload and need a good practice load, try 6gr Bullseye and any 240gr slug. I tried this load when I got my most recent 10" .44 Mag just for giggles and it really shoot...sub 1.5" at 50 yards with a 0x magnification red dot.

But as was already stated...are you very familiar with shooting handgun?? It just may be that you need to spend more time with the T/C and a .22LR barrel. You may be excellent shot with a rifle but handguns are an all together different beast. Let us know how you make out.

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: MV] #4665 11/04/2004 11:49 AM
Chief RID Offline
I have a 5.5 inch SBH and it was my first big bore handgun.

I had a hard time learning to shoot the thing. I am much better now but I still can only shoot more than 3 shots or so for group using anything other than plinking loads. Every position you shoot in or different rest or hold you use will cause a change in group and poa. My best groups for a shooting seccion still come with plinking loads in specials. I stay away from the 180 gr though. All my 240 gr loads from light to heavy shoot right over the front sight.

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: BigZHunting] #4666 11/04/2004 11:57 AM
MePlat Offline
I think that it would have been smart to have asked the posted what he called not grouping well?
Maybe he wanted groups in the .2's or .3's to be happy.
then again it may have been grouping in the 6" to 8" range.
Maybe he just can't shoot worth beans.
Who knows without asking first.

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: MV] #4667 11/04/2004 1:53 PM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
Welcome MV, this is a great place to be. You're right we probably should start a separate post about your SBH. The constant comment in all of these expert answers is we need more information, and the next question is how well do you shoot. Course we're all self conscious about being long winded, we wouldn't be if the answer was easy, My last wheel gun was a 4 5/8 SBH because I was tired of the 7 & 8 inch guns. I find mine shoots to POA, but my POA is at 50M, I dont expect groups like my contenders and rifles cuz I'm shooting open sights, with these old eyes a pie plate is sufficient, and I'll say again what has been said Practice, your practice will be more fun if you shoot something that shoots cheap and doesn't bark as loud nor beat you up like full house loads. My favorite loads for this SBH are some handloads that I got from an article by John Taffin that put the 300 gr xtp in front of a pile of 296, but the trick is using the rear cannelure. I'll get particular if any one is interested,. I shot IHMSA for years when I was single, and that went a long way to improving the mechanics of shooting, including generating the confidence to know that I was going to hit what I was shooting at. Another big tip when shooting Big hand guns is aftermarket grips, I use Russwood grips, manf'd in the Buffalo area, they cause you to use a more useful part of your forearm muscles to control the gun and recoil, than small grips.Anyu way welcome and post often.

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: MePlat] #4668 11/04/2004 9:00 PM
SeanVHA60013 Offline
Quote:

I think that it would have been smart to have asked the posted what he called not grouping well?
Maybe he wanted groups in the .2's or .3's to be happy.
then again it may have been grouping in the 6" to 8" range.
Maybe he just can't shoot worth beans.
Who knows without asking first.

Me Plat, look up at Gary's post. He did ask. I think that it would have been smart to have read all the posts before making your statement, but who knows without reading first

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: SeanVHA60013] #4669 11/04/2004 9:39 PM
MePlat Offline
SEAN: For your edification I did read Gary's post. It seemed like others didn't so I made my post.

By the way have you gotten up off the bench with that Fantastic 357 yet?

Just wondering. Anything else you want to bring up?

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: MePlat] #4670 11/04/2004 10:17 PM
SeanVHA60013 Offline
Quote:

SEAN: For your edification I did read Gary's post. It seemed like others didn't so I made my post.
By the way have you gotten up off the bench with that Fantastic 357 yet?
Just wondering. Anything else you want to bring up?

What would we ever do without at least one resident Troll to entertain us? Of course you've read Gary's post, now that you have the eye salve of my post bringing it to your attention. I'm edified to see how I helped to bring it to your attention. Hey, it's ok to admit when you've overlooked the very obvious and popped off prematurely like that Me Plat, you don't have to pretend to have seen it first. When you try that, it makes your comment about no one having asked the question look even more ridiculous than it did when we all just figured you barked out your opinion prematurely.

Oh, and Aye, the Bellm 357 is shooting quite well both on and off the bench. BTW, Ever tighten up and "improve" your postal group?

So glad you stopped by so I could get my weekly dose of your flatulence.....

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: SeanVHA60013] #4671 11/04/2004 10:32 PM
MePlat Offline
Sean I did read Gary's post. Many on here can't seem to read. I a just wanted to point it out that there are people on here that don't read and just want to spout off trying to show their knowledge. Just because I didn't say everyone read Gary's post doesn't mean I can't read.
Lets drop this before it goes too far.

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: Chief RID] #4672 11/04/2004 11:09 PM
MV Offline
stranger
stranger
Very nice piece chief... am I cockeyed or is that a large(SBH) grip frame w/ a BH trigger guard??? My 4 5/8 SBH has that trigger guard but the small BH grip frame also..Anyway I too have plenty of problems w/ the "Blast" from a short bbl .44 mag.. Gave up on my all time fav. .44 M load using a 310gr cast gc rfp in this gun... just too much for me

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: MV] #4673 11/05/2004 10:09 AM
Chief RID Offline
I don't know about the set up on this gun. I did not change it and I bought it new from a dealer. Several people have commented but I am not a SBH expert. It does have a stuck grip fram screw that I have not been able to get loose because it has a strange corrosion going on with it. I have not been able to stop shooting it long enough to get it fixed. The thing slicked up so fast from shooting that a trigger job was out of the question and I did not even take a leg og the hammer spring loose. I could not get to it and I am glad. I need to get into it and clean it up but I may find something I don't want to find so I may shoot it until it breaks. It may never break.

I don't shoot it as much as I used to but I hardly go to the range when I do not fire a few rounds with it. The 30, 20, 10 dangerous game practice is my favorite way to practice.

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: Gary] #4674 11/08/2004 10:59 PM
BigZHunting Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the question I can't hit a 9" dinner plate at 50 yards. Seems really bad but I not sure what to do. Thanks Again Zac

Re: TC 44 mag 10" Need help bad won't group [Re: BigZHunting] #4675 11/10/2004 1:52 AM
Rick Offline
addict
addict
Check the threaded post that attaches the forearm to the barrel. Last night while inspecting my barrel I found this piece would slide totally out of the dovetail. This will affect accuracy due to the forearm stress.
Rick

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod