Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
creating interest in handgun hunting #57299 10/20/2009 11:54 PM
pter1020k Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Today I went to the local target range with my contender cambered in 30-30 and a few water jugs. after placeing the water jugs out at the 100 yard line,I braught out the handgun case infront of six rifle shooters who were there.After the usual commemts of you can't hit anything that far with a handgun I demolished all three bottles. It draws attention when the guy with the short gun explodes a bottle at any distance.so I then played questions and answers for several minutes. I find this to be one way to introduce others to the concept of hunting with a handgun it does get some of them thinking.I wonder how far their jaws would drop if they saw a true long range handgun shooter such as the few people on this sight who shoot 1000 plus yards?for now my 30-30 is more than many think is possable with a short gun.

any one have other ways to introduce others to the idea of hunting wth a handgun?

Genesis chapter 1 verse 26

When shooting a single shot their are no warning shots.

Keith
Re: creating interest in handgun hunting [Re: pter1020k] #57331 10/21/2009 3:34 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Way to go! A lot of people seem to write off handguns as no good past 25 yards or maybe 50 yards if your really good. Its always nice to show them what they are capable of doing with the right load and a little practice.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: creating interest in handgun hunting [Re: pab1] #57480 10/23/2009 8:05 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
Pter,

I have introduced several (family members and friends) to handgun hunting. It usually starts (after plenty of conversation) with a session at my little range. I furnish the revolvers, TCs, and ammo. I have a wide variety of targets (distances and sizes)so that they can be successful. I show them some basics of shooting them from the bench and then get out of their way. If you try this, be sure to take plenty of ammo.

I also keep some extra TCs around (usually 7-30s) to use as "loaners." Thus, I often furnish the gun & ammo to those who are going on their first hunt. After they have successfully taken a deer or something with a handgun, they are usually hooked.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: creating interest in handgun hunting [Re: wtroper] #57489 10/23/2009 11:17 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Good for you!

Keep us the good work. One of the things that really grabs their attention is when you let a young person shoot a specialty pistol. It really helps those who watch realize, that a lot more can be done with a SP than they ever thought possible.

Once attention is drawn and questions are asked, I always give several website forums that actively deal with SP shooting and hunting.

Ernie the Un-Tactical

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod