Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk #57566 10/25/2009 3:52 AM
big spruce Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hey guys wanted to get your opions on these two revolvers.

1st Taurus Tracker in 44 mag, read lots of mixed reviews on the quallity.

2nd Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag 4 5/8 barrel. Lots of good reviews.

Mostly going to be a packing pistol and range gun. I plan on shooting it a lot. Price difference isnt that much between the two. Plan on shooting a deer with it if I get the chance under 50 yards.

I feel like the Ruger is a better gun, but the taurus fits in my hands better. Dont know?

Thanks
Big Spruce

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: big spruce] #57569 10/25/2009 4:02 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The Ruger is the better built gun hands down and if you ever have a warranty problem from what they guys I've talked to have told me you don't want to go to taurus. It's common for the double action frame to feel more natural at first but most adapt to the single action fairly quickly. The ruger is designed to roll in your hand where any of the double actions are designed more to push straight back into your hand. You can get the Hogue rubber monogrip which may mimic the feel of the double action to a point but I personally don't care for them but some people really like them. If your not totally stuck on just these two guns you can look at the Redhawk or S&W 629, the redhawk will handle a steady diet of heavy loads better but the Smith is a little lighter gun and for me personally it was a more natural shooter but like I said for brute strength the Redhawk gets the nod but the smith or redhawk either one is probably going to cost you at least a couple hundred more.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: wapitirod] #57572 10/25/2009 4:13 AM
BINGO Offline
addict
addict
Other than what Rod said. It's kinda apples to oranges caliber aside. Shooting a tracker was underwhelming for me. But if you like it. Lotta good grips out there for Black Hawk. Should be 1 that works for you.

Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: big spruce] #57576 10/25/2009 4:38 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
the Ruger is a better gun, but the taurus fits in my hands better

See if you can get your hands on a Ruger SBH Bisley. I don't care for the traditional SBH grip myself, but the Bisley grip fits naturally.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: s4s4u] #57584 10/25/2009 11:42 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
sorry that i have to disagree with s4s4u. had the hots for a bisley for some time then got to play with it. dont float my boat but other love it. the standard SA grip is someting in the 44mag and up, but i would always pick a ruger over taurus just mho.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: bluecow] #57586 10/25/2009 12:40 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
You could not give me a taurus.... long story short, JUNK!!!!

Get the Ruger and practice with it. If the grip still does not fit you there are many aftermarket grips that can help the gun fit your hand.

As mentioned above the Bisley grip frame for the single action and a double action gun are also options.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: Tigger] #57587 10/25/2009 1:12 PM
RUG1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Super Blackhawk!!!!!!!!!

Freedom is a gift, paid for by blood. Given for all to receive.
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: RUG1] #57588 10/25/2009 1:28 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: RUG1
Super Blackhawk!!!!!!!!!

Bisley, I'm with s4s4u...it just has a more natural point of aim. To me!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: KRal] #57604 10/25/2009 4:27 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Get the Ruger!!

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: Russell] #57605 10/25/2009 4:55 PM
Okie Hunter Online Happy
old hand
Online Happy
old hand
Buy the Ruger and you'll NEVER regret it. In my opinion the best revolver for the money and tough as a railroad spike!

With God all things are possible. Matt.19:26
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: big spruce] #57610 10/25/2009 5:37 PM
Old Mud Puppy Offline
stranger
stranger
SBH Bisley. I love mine! It's my trail gun and it will handle even the stoutest of loads. I owned a Taurus Tracker for a while ( I inherited it) and I was very displeased with the overall fit and finish. In fact, I traded it for the SBH Bisley I have now.

Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: Old Mud Puppy] #57613 10/25/2009 7:41 PM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
I personally haven't owned a Taurus, but I have seen them screwing up. Get the Ruger, use the Taurus to nail up your target!

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: Jeremy] #57620 10/25/2009 9:45 PM
460Encore Offline
I own two revolvers: a Taurus .45/410 Ultralite 3 inch barrel Judge and a Ruger 45 Colt 4 inch barrel Redhawk.

The Taurus Judge is light and travels well for backpacking. I have no reliability problems with it. At 23 ources, its what I look for protection when I am out backpacking and is accurate out to 25 yards.

The Ruger Redhawk weighs in at 46 ounces, and its twice the weight of the Taurus Judge. The 45 Colt in the Redhawk can be loaded for Ruger/TC Only loads. For twice the weight, I have twice the foot pounds out of the same cartridge. The Redhawk is somewhat more accurate than the Judge. Ruger has the reputation for the ultimate in quality, but its best described as overbuilt.

My point, each revolver has its use. Backpacking in PA, I would take the Judge hands down. Out West in Grizzly territory, I would take the 45 Colt Redhawk.

I consider both revolver to be of high quality. If I had to pick one on quality alone, I would pick the Ruger. That is not to say that different manufacturers produce quality arms for different purposes.

I have owned two Rugers and two Taurus handguns. I would highly recommend either one of them to anyone. My personal preference is Taurus for personal defense and Ruger for a hunting handgun.

Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: big spruce] #57623 10/26/2009 12:44 AM
mikefrompa Offline
old hand
old hand
I had a RSB with a Leupold 2x scope on it. It was one of my favorite handguns. Very well built handgun.

Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: mikefrompa] #57624 10/26/2009 1:07 AM
BINGO Offline
addict
addict
It's obvious we all prefer the Rugers. However I did shoot a Taurus Mod 44 extensivley & it was pretty damned good. Like 460 said they have different purposes. But I think the Rugers are better & you can find used ones all day long for fair prices. Like a lot of these guys. All my guns eventually get action jobs & new sites etc. That can make a yawner into a real barn burner.

Last edited by BINGO; 10/26/2009 1:09 AM.
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: BINGO] #57628 10/26/2009 1:26 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: BINGO
It's obvious we all prefer the Rugers.

I would like to think so!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: TCTex.] #57636 10/26/2009 2:57 AM
slavage Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1401536#Post1401536

thers a used one here if your looken for some thing semi costfull

i personaly got two rugers an one tor""azz"" i got ther 357 tracker and i like it alot and i got really luckie i got it before i knew better my friend got one the same week i did. he had to send his back 4 times and finaly dumped his at a big lost cause of ther resell value...

i have two rugers one standard super blackhaw and ther hunter
if you like to scope it go with the hunter for a few dollars more the ruger is over made you can beat the crap out of it till you die 3 times over and it will still keep working and rugers customer service i hear is far on top of any others
and when push comes to it its an americal made gun...

single action vs double action is a toss up but most guys will tell you when they are shooting for bulls or at a animal its single action pulling most the time to start with

but best thing to do go some were and see if you can rent each and shoot them to make up your mind

Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: slavage] #57654 10/26/2009 10:49 AM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
To each his own! I have seen a Taurus straight out of the box, lock up on the first time of shooting. That there is not high quality.

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: Okie Hunter] #57656 10/26/2009 11:02 AM
rawhide kid Offline
I personally like the Ruger Bisley, but have owned several Taurus that were just fine. It seems to be a crap shoot on wether you can get a good Taurus but my wife shoots a Millinium Pro 45ACP that is a good gun and I just bought a PT1911 38 Super that seems good. Good luck with your choice.

NRA LIFE MEMBER, Retired Air Force: SS Ruger Bisley 5.5 45LC, EAA Witness 38Supr, S&W 625 Mnt Gun in 45LC
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: wapitirod] #57659 10/26/2009 11:23 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
The Ruger is the better built gun hands down and if you ever have a warranty problem from what they guys I've talked to have told me you don't want to go to taurus. It's common for the double action frame to feel more natural at first but most adapt to the single action fairly quickly. The ruger is designed to roll in your hand where any of the double actions are designed more to push straight back into your hand. You can get the Hogue rubber monogrip which may mimic the feel of the double action to a point but I personally don't care for them but some people really like them. If your not totally stuck on just these two guns you can look at the Redhawk or S&W 629, the redhawk will handle a steady diet of heavy loads better but the Smith is a little lighter gun and for me personally it was a more natural shooter but like I said for brute strength the Redhawk gets the nod but the smith or redhawk either one is probably going to cost you at least a couple hundred more.

I agree with Rod here. Taurus' seem to be hit and miss. Rugers are consistent in build quality -- a little rough around the edges, but built to handle anything and everything. Personally, I would get the Ruger.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: big spruce] #57660 10/26/2009 11:24 AM
big spruce Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks Guys all good info. I think the ruger is a better built gun as well. I'll have to ivestigate some grips.

Thanks Big Spruce

Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: big spruce] #57770 10/27/2009 11:05 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
big spruce check hogue and if your not set on a scope look at one ragged hole. ive had vary good luck with both.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: bluecow] #57906 10/29/2009 11:30 AM
big spruce Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks Bluecow!

Big Spruce

Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: big spruce] #58131 11/02/2009 5:18 PM
Rafe Covington Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I would go with the Super Blackhawk, I have one and it has always been a dependable accurate revolver. JMHO

singleshot

You can run but you die tired.
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: big spruce] #58262 11/04/2009 4:33 PM
Pointshoot Offline
stranger
stranger
I check out guys opinions on current Taurus wheel guns whenever possible. I own two of their guns now, a Raging Bull 454 and a Tracker Titanium 41 Mag. The guns are 'o.k.'. The trigger on the 41 is gritty. Sometimes the 454 misfires in d.a. but I understand this isn't totally uncommon in other d.a. 454s. Several smiths I talked with won't work on Taurus. - - I did handle a Taurus 38 snubbie recently and had to double check to make sure it really was a Taurus. The trigger was excellent, just a little bit heavy but very smooth. If I found a 41 Mag steel Tracker with that trigger I'd be very tempted if the price were right. But, I would have to check it out first. I would never order a Taurus or buy one long distance.

Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: Okie Hunter] #58267 11/04/2009 5:50 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
SBH hands down.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: bisleyfan44] #58285 11/04/2009 11:52 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Another vote for Ruger

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: cottonstalk] #107803 05/03/2012 1:12 AM
PBR DRIVER Offline
stranger
stranger
Brand new member from West Wyoming!
I no longer own a newer production Ruger Handgun. To date I have owned the SBH, Flattop BH, SRH and the last was a RH.
All but the Redhawk were keepers, but times were tough then and had to part with them.
The last one was a Redhawk .44 mag. By far the biggest pile I have ever owned. Felt like it was full of sand and pebbles, chambers were not square and on and on.
I sold it and bought a .41 mag Taurus Tracker 6.5" Total Titanium.
I shot a truck load of 250gr. LBT solid at 1300fps along with about as many standard handloads.
It is my bad critter be good stick here in Wyoming.
Light to pack and about as accurate as you would like a revolver to be.
Trigger is very good and it keeps on doing what I bought it for.
My hunting buddy has a 4" Titanium .41 and has killed several elk and a few bears with his!
Taurus I believe can run hot and cold but they will stand behind their products.
Draw back is no way to mount a scope on my Tracker so for actual handgun hunting I pack my S&W performance center 657.
I shoot quite a bit and hunt a lot and would not be afraid to to trust my life with my tracker it is broken in well and so far has never skipped a beat for me!
I would venture to guess that when it comes to returns to customer service Ruger, S&W, Colt, and T/C,. they all get a lot of returns but the difference in the end is how it is taken care of.
I sold my Redhawk because of past dealing with Ruger over a rifle and did not want to go through that hassle again.
Yes I have used Taurus's warranty twice on different guns. In the end I was taken care of.
Just my $0.02 worth but in this economy it is not worth much....

Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: PBR DRIVER] #107809 05/03/2012 1:31 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well, I owna super blackhawk 44 mag and a bisley hunter in 45colt. I prefer the bisley grip over the standard BH grip. That said one of the most accurate guns I own is my Taurus Raging bull 480. Knock on wood, I have damn near a thousand rounds thru it some pretty hot handloads as well and it is as tight as the day I got it. I had a 44 Mag taurus in 8 inch barrel that was a fine shooting gun as well. I traded it for some other gun I can't remember which one. Oh well. I guess its hit or miss. I had a ruger slab side 22 pistol that was the worst handgun I ever owned as far as accuracy went. And my ruger Blackhawk wasn't that accurate either until I sent it to JD Jones at SSK industries. They did a trigger job, pushed the barrel back, recut the forcing cone to 11 deg and chreamed one of the chambers. Now its a fine shooting accurate handgun.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Taurus Tracker or Super Blackhawk [Re: cfish2] #107988 05/04/2012 9:51 PM
warthog97 Offline
Big Spruce,
I have both the Taurus Tracker in 44 mag and a Ruger 44 mag SBH. I like both, but they have different uses. The tracker hangs on my hip when I'm bow hunting or hiking. The Ruger gets used as a primary hunting arm. Since I've never had a problem with either, I'd say the Ruger's big advantage is that it'll handle Buffalo Bore +P+ loads, which the tracker will not. Having said that, the tracker has never had even the slightest hiccup with max book loads for 300gr A frames, and it shoots pretty well for me.

You can't go wrong either way, but the tracker is a pretty good gun, at least for me. It carries great, and shoots good enough off hand that I'd hunt with it as a primary arm too!

Good luck, which ever way you go!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod