Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Scope Malfunction? #57818 10/28/2009 1:18 AM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
What has been your worst scope problem… or funny? Mine was a 6.5-20 XYZ that was on my Encore 7mm Rem Mag. After shooting a target at the range the scope went completely blurry and I had to adjust the AO to view the target again. The next shot didn’t even hit paper with a gun that usually shoots ˝ or better groups.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Scope Malfunction? [Re: TCTex.] #57882 10/28/2009 11:43 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
TC,

A lifetime ago when I bought a 14" Contender in the then "new" 7-30 Waters, I also accepted the scope package that T/C was offering at the time. If memory serves me (seldom), it was a T/C brand 4X. I was somewhat hesitant as I knew that those T/C scopes were not famous for relaibility, and when I got mine I was not impressed with the construction. Still, I was young and far less experienced, and hey - this was a "Big Gun" back then. Very Impressive!
Well, long story short - the scope reticle literally came loose during the break in session. I was now very much less impressed! Returned the scope directly to the factory as I lived quite local to it and still do today (which the Thompson customer service rep personally and immediately offered to replace - I declined and asked for money back - he obliged with no arguement by taking the scope and calling my dealer post-haste with a promise of store credit - which they did indeed honor!)
I subsequently purchased a Redfield 2-7X from my dealer and was quite happy with that one. Have steered folks away from Thompsen/Center scopes since.
Very nearly getting to the point of steering folks away from "new" Thompson/Center products as a whole now.
Anyone who has read my posts regarding the present status of Thompson/Center knows my feeling on that subject.
I'm sure TCMan can attest to reading my opines of such.
Alas - I should not soap box!
Back to the topic - T/C scopes "ka-ka"!
Redfield and Leopold "Aces"!

Renster
\:\)

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: Scope Malfunction? [Re: TCTex.] #57894 10/29/2009 2:57 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
My worst problem wasn't the fault of the optic. I was posting on a BFR (big friggin rock) during a deer drive and when it was over I slung my rifle on my shoulder and started to step down and whooop, my feet went out from under. I landed on my ars and the occular at the same time and that Redfield Illuminator was toast. Insult to injury, as I start on my way to the others I kick up a friggin wolf and as I bring the .270 to my shoulder I can only say s**t.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Scope Malfunction? [Re: s4s4u] #57903 10/29/2009 8:39 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
My worst scope failure was a Tasco Prohunter on a Super Blackhawk that lasted through one cylinder of Federal Cast Core ammo before going completely black. The other was my Leupold VXII 2X on my 475. It lasted through at least 300 rounds of full house loads only to be un done the second time the screws on scope mount sheared off taking out the ocular lens. The problem should be fixed thanks to Magna Port and some upgraded and upsized scope base screws.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod