Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Road kill freezer filler! #58299 11/05/2009 1:30 AM
Jeremy Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
About 15 minutes after dark I hear a thump and then tires screeching in front of my house. I know what that sound is. I scrambled in the house got the 45 ACP. Walked to the end of the driveway and sure enough a doe was just chillin' out in the ditch, just looking at me. Had a broke front leg. So I sunk one in the nugget. Shot, hung and gutted in about 20 minutes.

I love deer season!

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Road kill freezer filler! [Re: Jeremy] #58301 11/05/2009 1:47 AM
RUG1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
LOL! Easy hunting! Free Meat.

Freedom is a gift, paid for by blood. Given for all to receive.
Re: Road kill freezer filler! [Re: RUG1] #58315 11/05/2009 10:12 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Here's my road kill story from January.........

Wifey just walked in the door as I was chatting on the phone with Tigger. She tells me of a doe laying on the berm just down the road...when she drove by the deer was flopping like crazy. I practically hang up on Tigger, grab the RBH .357 Magnum, load it with my light 158gr SWC (800fps) fodder and jump in the car.

Just down the road I find the deer laying in the grass, head raised but in rough shape. I walk over, hold the muzzle 6" from her forehead and let her have it. At the shot she slumped and started kicking like crazy. After 15 seconds it was over.

I grabbed her by the feet, throw her in the trunk and go to a local farmers house...about a ten minute drive. Henry and I pop the trunk to find the doe still breathing and starting to kick!! She calmed for a second, we grabbed her and yanked her out. As he got the gambrel ready, she kept breathing for another 5 minutes, Henry sliced her throat, and for ANOTHER five minutes she was breathing and still kicking from time to time.

Lesson of the story...I don't really know. Next time I'm just going to shoot for the heart I guess!!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Road kill freezer filler! [Re: Dan B.] #58345 11/05/2009 3:52 PM
az_shooter Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I have always said that 4000 pounds of Detroit steel is the best tenderizer available!

Re: Road kill freezer filler! [Re: Dan B.] #58347 11/05/2009 4:01 PM
Jeremy Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I shot the deer about 3' away and it was to the side of the head. The bullet was a 230gr. copper jacketed round nose. It flopped around for a few. I hear alot of people asking about hunting with the 45 ACP. After yesterday, I would certainly reconsider another cartidge to hunt with. Wasn't impressed with the penetration. Bullet didn't go in as far as I thought it would. It certainly didn't exit. Maybe a hollow point would have done better. Oh well, its in the freezer LOL!

Dan that was funny! A few years back, some friends of mine shot a deer with a shotgun and only paralized it. They threw it in the back of the truck to check it in. Pulled up to the check station and the deer was sittin upright and looking around! Too funny!

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod