Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
0 fer #58612 11/10/2009 11:19 PM
cottonstalk Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Well we always tell on here of our successes,and a few tell almost stories well I got a I blew it twice story.Been doing a little hunting in and around other things and had patterned a descent buck.Waited,waited,and waited some more and get up to head out because it's dark enough I can't see my sights and walk up on him getting ready to come out.Sat one day he came out behind me,caught me standing up.Another day I finally got a chance to get off a shot and I think it went between his horns.Go figure.It's funny to me shooting 3"squares and that barrel,and sights seems rock solid,make it brown,add horns,and the end of that barrel looks like a ball in a pinball game.Take away the horns,and it's just like paper.For what it's worth on the land I hunt 16"is the minimum.Any ideas how to fix this problem?

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: 0 fer [Re: cottonstalk] #58613 11/10/2009 11:34 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
don't feel bad, we don't see many deer here on the coast and I had broadside shot at a doe at about 50yds uphill and I shot over her back.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: 0 fer [Re: wapitirod] #58630 11/11/2009 1:41 AM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
we all miss it is part of hunting.

It could have been worse you could have shot him and couldn't find him.

Re: 0 fer [Re: RickyP] #58641 11/11/2009 2:56 AM
leasongs Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
calm down, take a few deep breaths, and if you are not steady, either wait until you are or pass up the shot. a swing and a miss sucks, but not as much as a bad shot! If you can place the shot where it needs to be on paper, then it is all in your head and only YOU can get that right! You work hard to get yourself in the possition to take a game animal, and at the moment of truth, it's exciting and there is a lot of pressure. It all causes the shakes ...

Re: 0 fer [Re: cottonstalk] #58646 11/11/2009 3:37 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: cottonstalk
Go figure.It's funny to me shooting 3"squares and that barrel,and sights seems rock solid,make it brown,add horns,and the end of that barrel looks like a ball in a pinball game.Take away the horns,and it's just like paper.For what it's worth on the land I hunt 16"is the minimum. Any ideas how to fix this problem?

When it has antlers lob a hand grenade.
\:\)

Really, just try and take the emphisis off the antlers and let you muscle reflexes form all the practice take over.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: 0 fer [Re: Tigger] #58659 11/11/2009 10:35 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Once shootable game is identified, my shooting habits kick into gear and I concentrate on nothing except the critical factors needed to make sure the POI matches the POA.

Getting into LR shooting has greatly improved my "short" game. Taking game at 300yd is nothing anymore...not bragging by any means, just stating that quality LR shooting practice hones the skills and makes shorter shooting easier. I'm also not saying that is your cure...building shooting skills to the point of them being a reflex is the ultimate goal.

When I shot on the 3D archery tournament circuit I regularly practiced out to 100yds eventhough the max distance in competition was only 50yds.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: 0 fer [Re: Tigger] #58662 11/11/2009 12:05 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

"When it has antlers lob a hand grenade. :)" Tigger

Great answer Tigger.

All the others are good also. Experience, experience, experience; plus a lot of mistakes in between, equals a seasoned hunter who will STILL blow it from time to time.

No worries here. Coyotes do that for me, I've killed hundreds and they still get my heart rate up and adrenalin going so bad that I can easily blow it!

Re: 0 fer [Re: Gregg Richter] #58667 11/11/2009 2:21 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
One thing thats helped over the years is to cut the pages from the hunt mags with photos of the game you intend to hunt and tape to the wall in your room. Load your handgun with some snap caps and sight in on the vital area and slowly squeeze the trigger.I believe this has helped me over the years to zero in on the animal I`am hunting and make a good shot. Good luck...

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: 0 fer [Re: jamesfromjersey] #58671 11/11/2009 3:40 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Been hunting over 50yrs and still miss on occassion. It happens, and it's usually the 'give me' shots. AS Greg stated, adrenalin and heart beat kick in and it happens. I'm glad it does!

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: 0 fer [Re: Russell] #58693 11/12/2009 12:31 AM
az_shooter Offline
journeyman
journeyman
To me missing is part of the fun. The "work" begins after you hit the animal!

Re: 0 fer [Re: az_shooter] #58694 11/12/2009 12:50 AM
dc74 Offline
old hand
old hand
We all miss pick your self up and u will get another shot. and u will be more ready then ever.

shoot it if its still coming shot it again!!!
Re: 0 fer [Re: dc74] #58709 11/12/2009 2:18 AM
nuclearweasel Offline
I had an interesting miss Sunday morning. It was a 60 yard quartering forward shot on a 3 year old spike. I set the cross hair right in the sweet spot to crash diagonally through his chest cavity and just as I pulled the trigger the little rascal swung his head back to scratch his rump with the longer of two spikes. I pulled the shot. I knew it was a bad one, and as I looked towards the deer expecting to see him flag and run, I saw him go down like he had been struck by lightning. Well I hopped out of my blind and walked over to see what had happened. When he had swung his head back to scratch I pulled high and right. The path of the bullet was higher than his back, and just happened to catch him directly under the chin exiting the base of the skull.

Every shot at an animal is different. No amount of experience can count for that. You do what you can to quickly dispatch your quarry, but I am firmly convinced that despite what most hunters claim, there are easily as many accidental hits as misses.

Did you know that there are magical animals roaming wild, converting vegetables into bacon as we speak?
Re: 0 fer [Re: nuclearweasel] #58714 11/12/2009 2:57 AM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
You do realize the internet is full of experts...........but when it comes to missing, I'm on top of the game. Sometimes I even amaze myself! It's going to happen, sooner or later. Don't lose sleep over it (even though I have) and get yourself prepared for the next opportunity. good luck

Re: 0 fer [Re: Mark Hampton] #58715 11/12/2009 3:01 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It must be the bullets that guy in lower LA loaded!!

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: 0 fer [Re: az_shooter] #58724 11/12/2009 4:04 AM
S.B. Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
That's why they call it hunting?
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Re: 0 fer [Re: jamesfromjersey] #58734 11/12/2009 5:20 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
One thing thats helped over the years is to cut the pages from the hunt mags with photos of the game you intend to hunt and tape to the wall in your room. Load your handgun with some snap caps and sight in on the vital area and slowly squeeze the trigger.I believe this has helped me over the years to zero in on the animal I`am hunting and make a good shot. Good luck...

I do the same thing and I have very little problems with deer anymore but elk screw with me something fierce. I know my issue goes to the issue of not enough field time this year and I can tell a difference from when I was in the high desert and was shooting just about every weekend and now where I'm lucky if the weather cooperates enough to shoot once a month not to mention my medical stuff. The key is more rounds down range = better shooting in the field but shooting from field positions is important. The buck fever thing like I said I'm with james on the one method but the rest will come with time and the more bucks you dump the easier it becomes to control ones self at least until after the shot. I know another thing I've done is if it is a situation where I have to wait to pull the trigger or release the arrow is I just focus on the point I want to hit and I quit looking at the antlers. The one and only shot I had this year I just blew it and I new it as soon as the gun went off and that is going to happen to everyone sooner or later no matter how good of a shot you are

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: 0 fer [Re: wapitirod] #58743 11/12/2009 2:48 PM
bfr4570 Offline
addict
addict
I was hunting with a buddy this weekend. He has years of hunting. Im standing under his tree. Sure enough a 12 pointer walks out 50 yds he had to look at it for about 5 min counting points. It walk out look at me put its head behind a tree. My buddy pulled the trigger and killed the tree. Needless to say he had a long ride home.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT CASH ONLY.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod