Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need a holster recommendation... #58750 11/12/2009 7:54 PM
BroMark Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
New to the site... I just recently purchased a Ruger SRH 44 Mag and intend to hunt deer with it when I get comfortable and proficient with the gun. I'm looking for a recommendation on a good holster that will be used almost exclusively for hunting.

Thanks in advance..................Mark

Philipians 2:5-11
Re: Need a holster recommendation... [Re: BroMark] #58752 11/12/2009 9:02 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hey Mark. Welcome to the site! Are you new to handgun hunting?
These guys are a wealth of info & I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions, but a little more info might help narrow it down. Here's my choices. For a shorter barreled (6" & less)gun with iron sights I like a pancake holster from a company called "Simply Rugged". The name says it all.
http://www.simplyrugged.com/
I carry a custon 4.5" Blackhawk in 41 mag in mine & it's extremely comfortable either strongside or crossdraw & even with no retention strap I've never had the gun move in the holster, even getting in & out of canoes & hiking rough country. Price is fair too.
For longer barreled guns & scoped guns I've tried quite a few different options & right now am using the "Pistol Packaging" Bandito rig for my 8&3/8 mod 29 with a red dot sight.
http://www.pistolpackaging.com/
Works great. Not sure it's the end all solution, but it's the best I've tried. May try a sling sometime.

By the way, I'm a pastor & the verses you have in your signature line are the primary passage I use for all maritial counseling!
Welcome brother!!!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Need a holster recommendation... [Re: Vance in AK.] #58763 11/12/2009 11:17 PM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
Mark, welcome to the site! You will enjoy the folks on here. Check out these as another option. I started out with a bandoleer and ended up with this. They are great in the field.

http://www.apexpredatorbows.com/Hoster_Harness.html

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Need a holster recommendation... [Re: Jeremy] #58766 11/13/2009 12:22 AM
dc74 Offline
old hand
old hand
WELCOME mark using bandoleer camo lite weight .

shoot it if its still coming shot it again!!!
Re: Need a holster recommendation... [Re: dc74] #58792 11/13/2009 3:23 PM
BroMark Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the info guys. I should have given more info. I am brand new to handgun hunting, and basically brand new to handguns in general. My gun has a 7.5" barrel and for now has no scope. I am considering trying out a Red Dot scope, but haven't decided on that for sure.

A friend uses the same gun w/o a scope and recommended a bandoleer. My local shop doesn't have one, so I'm either going to have to order one online or do some travelling to find one.

Vance, nice to meet you! I'm an associate pastor at my church and have a minstry focused on men and families. I have a good friend who recently retired from the Alaska Fish & Game and has settled in Minnesota. He's pretty much an expert on handguns, so he's been advising me a lot. Not sure what part of Alaska he was in, but he lived there about 45 years. He has some hair-raising bear stories!

Thanks again.................Mark

Philipians 2:5-11
Re: Need a holster recommendation... [Re: BroMark] #58851 11/14/2009 3:05 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Handguns & especially handgun hunting can be very addictive!
I started about 25 yrs ago & although I wander to trad bows, leverguns, etc, the handgun bug never really goes away!
I'm sure you will enjoy it. If you haven't played with handguns much start with some lighter handloads or 44 special rounds to get the feel of things. You'll have no problem handling full house loads in the gun but probably won't want to start there.
Some of the best practice can also be with a 22 rimfire pistol, just to get used to a handgun. Ammo is a bit cheaper too!

For a gun that size & heavy the bandoleer/bandito type will probably be the most comfortable holster.
I sent you a PM

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Need a holster recommendation... [Re: Vance in AK.] #58866 11/14/2009 2:31 PM
Kanes28 Offline
stranger
stranger
I had a cross mount rig custom made for my scoped Dan Wesson .357

Heres the link http://www.hidehandler.com/index.htm

This guy does some nice work!

Re: Need a holster recommendation... [Re: Kanes28] #58887 11/14/2009 8:16 PM
liv2hnt460 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
If you want to spend the money, Von Ringler (http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/) makes one outstanding product. Craftsmanship, fit and finish, quality, comfort. I can't say enough about the holsters he makes. If leather is what you want, I highly recommend giving Von a call. I guarantee you will not be disapointed.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Re: Need a holster recommendation... [Re: BroMark] #58948 11/15/2009 11:02 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I echo Pistol Packaging, this model has an extension that you can add or remove depending on your situation.
https://stores.myregisteredsite.com/user...Category_Code=B

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod