Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cast vs. Jacketed Debate #59556 11/22/2009 2:22 PM
Gary Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
I really pleased to see that the discussion has brought forth some very accomplished handgun hunters who haven't been participating in this site before.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: Gary] #59557 11/22/2009 2:48 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I agree, Gary. Maybe they will stick around here. Anyone that's hunted from Alaska to Africa, has got to be full of knowledge.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: KRal] #59565 11/22/2009 4:58 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Great reading and good info.

Also glad to see views from one extreme to the other and respected by all.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: Gary] #59566 11/22/2009 4:58 PM
Ed P 6989 Offline
Having hunted from Alaska to Africa, if I were to be hunting with a big bore revolver for big animals I would do as the rifleman do and work up two loads to hit the same at 100 yards. One would be with a good expanding bullet and the other with a hard cast bullet. Load the first and maybe the second chamber with the expanding bullet and the rest with solids for those long raking shots. See how easy life can be!

Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: Ed P 6989] #59571 11/22/2009 5:31 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Gary, Yes definitely!

Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: Gregg Richter] #59580 11/22/2009 6:30 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I've been watching it. Of the possibly six or so threads I have banned in nearly ten year, I think one of them may have ben a cast vs jacketed debate gone ugly.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: Dan B.] #59592 11/22/2009 8:00 PM
Gary Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
I know it was and both sides have their points. As long as things stay friendly it is an entertaining discussion. Kind of like tastes great vs. less filling...

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: Gary] #59601 11/22/2009 9:19 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
The whole thread was entertaining (and educational) for the most part.
I have never hunted dangerous game, except prairie dogs-You never know when they may charge;)

When I have used a revolver for big game-Always a 7.5" FA 454 Casull, shooting 300's at 1775.
I have used both types of bullets and they died every time quickly-I'm guessing shot placement might have something to do with that:)
If I was in heavy cover and intended to punch shoulders, I would go with a HC, but I have used 300 grain XTP's more than anything.
I do not have much experience at the revolver game

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: Ernie] #59626 11/23/2009 1:31 AM
David L Offline
stranger
stranger
For a greenhorn, I found the article to be very educational. I have never thought of a soft cast bullet. or using a hard cast bullet. This thread has opened up a whole new world for this beginner.Can anyone recommend A commercial manufacturer, that makes good quality soft cast. for black bear and wild bacon.I have said it before, and I'll say it again, THIS IS A GREAT SITE.Thanks guy's. David.

Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: David L] #59629 11/23/2009 1:42 AM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
This is a great site and I have learned from several on this site and made several friends along the way.I enjoy a civil debate.Using experiences to back up this person stance or the others.I do not know if we,the users of this site,will ever be able to thank Gary enough.Again Gary thanks!

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: cottonstalk] #59640 11/23/2009 2:58 AM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Cottonstalk,

Thanks to Gary and others that make this site what it is, X2!

Doc

Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: doc with a glock] #59649 11/23/2009 4:22 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Great Debate! It still amazes me that some think that you need a 300-400 gr. hardcast to penetrate a white-tail deer or a pig that weighs less than 250 pounds. I like both styles of bullets, but if your having penetration problems, you may consider moving to a more powerful round. I have a couple of nice big bore handcannons, but for NC deer a 300 Whisper has always given complete penetration on broadside lung shots. This is a small round. I know that if this round penetrates a 400 gr. hardcast is not needed. Don't get me wrong, I like using too much power. I have shot deer with 300 gr. 376 Steyr bullets out of my Competitor, but this round will probaly shoot length wise through a Zebra. I will probaly always favor heavy, controlled expanding, jacketed bullets for big game. But, as some have said, I like Hand Rifles. They are powerful enough that with good shot placement I'm not worried about getting to the vitals and leaving a good blood trail. They just work!

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: Franchise] #59655 11/23/2009 4:45 AM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
I really like the forums here and would love to stick around if you don't mind. Mr. Thompson is a great addition to the knowledge base here, I can assure you of that. I love to hear his stories and pick his brain for advice when I can.

As far as "hand rifles" go, I've owned about 8 different single shots over the last 9 years but just don't ever seem to keep them. My first passion was the sixgun and it just seems to "feel" right so they are always the ones that get taken from the safe so the single shots always seem to be sold off. But, the new one from FA really intrigues me. I handled it recently when I stopped in to visit and pick up a sixgun in Freedom and I was VERY impressed with the feel and the overall quality of the gun.

As far as needing a 300-400 grain HC to penetrate, that's not really my reasoning. My 475 Linebaugh really shoots well with a 400-420 grain bullet. My 500 Linebaughs have always shot well with the 440-450 grain class. I've never owned a 44 that didn't like the 313 grain gas checked bullet that the RCBS 300 SWC mold throws. But, this year has seen me move back to the lighter bullets in several of my sixguns. I killed a couple animals with 270 grain cast bullets in my 454 loaded under 1000 fps and then I've killed several with the 44 magnum loaded with 250 grain bullets loaded from 1050-1300 fps at the muzzle this year also. I don't run my guns as hard as they can go anymore. Took me a couple of years to figure out that it wasn't really needed. I like the heavier slugs at moderate velocities personally. The 475 and 500 linebaughs usually run about 1050-1100 fps. That is easy on the shooter and the gun and I've yet to hunt anything that can stop that bullet from any angle. If I were to go after a grizzly or hunt Africa, I may juice them a little more but until then, I'll just keep shooting them as is. The main gun that I've usually used jacketed in is the 454 Casull. My FA gun loved the 300 XTP Mag bullet. I've found it to be a pretty hard bullet that holds together well. I've shot two whitetails lengthwise with this bullet and actually never recovered one of these from an animal. I imagine the 44 version would work just as well. I shot some when I first got into handguns in college but never had a chance to hunt with them before I moved that gun to HC. The ones that I have loaded now for the Casull are the FA 260 grain JFP. It is a great bullet and can handle the pressures of the Casull round obviously. That is probably the one gun that I still have some actually warm loaded rounds for. I think that load runs just a little shy of 1900 fps out of my 10" gun. I may take this one with me when I head back to Mississippi next week to visit my parents and try to whack a couple of whitetails with it while I'm there (If I have time to dial it in before I leave). Just had it rebarrelled and haven't had a chance to shoot it much since.

I still have a lot of jacketed bullets around as I found out today when I was looking through the shelves. I think I need to thin those shelves out a little
\:\)

Last edited by GlennS; 11/23/2009 4:51 AM.

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: GlennS] #59678 11/23/2009 6:52 PM
Fowler Offline
I probably was a ass in how I took Gregg's post and I will admit that. Anyone who knows me knows I am not a internet troll and that I am pretty level headed. Gregg is a good friend and lives about 4 miles from me. Heck I cast his bullets for the 500WE for him.

I took what he was saying as Glenn's bullets failed and I knew they didn't. It turned into a pretty informative discussion and we are all opinionated. Funny somethings wind up being pretty near and dear to each of us and we get a little hot over it. Its like Chevys vs Fords, both do the same things but a Chevy guy will never love a Ford and vise versa. They are not right or wrong just different.

I have often lurked here just never posted much. I have a few other forums I post at a lot but you can only do so many. One of my main ones has slowed to a crawl so I may try and get over here some more. We all share the same interest and as along as things don't get out of hand it is all good.

I sure didn't mean for that other post to get heated but I think I inadvertily fanned the flames on that one.

Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: Fowler] #59680 11/23/2009 8:47 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Fowler, I've seen alot worse on here...LOL...don't sweet it. I'm purdy sure the majority of the members would like to see you stick around, you know, the more the merry'r. Anyway welcome to HHM!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: KRal] #59685 11/23/2009 11:21 PM
wheelguns Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: KRal
Fowler, I've seen alot worse on here...LOL...don't sweet it. I'm purdy sure the majority of the members would like to see you stick around, you know, the more the merry'r. Anyway welcome to HHM!

(X2)

Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: KRal] #59694 11/24/2009 12:52 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: KRal

(X3)

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: Vance in AK.] #59720 11/24/2009 2:45 AM
Gary Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
We don't have too many problems here. A couple times folks have gotten into name calling but all-in-all a great bunch of guys. Sometimes we joke about things and that gets taken out of context or without knowing it's a joke and I think that has caused as much heartburn as anything else.

Re: Cast vs. Jacketed Debate [Re: Gary] #59768 11/24/2009 4:54 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Fowler- No worries here, I DO hope you stick around here, otherwise I may have to drive over and remind you.
\:\)

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod