Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Crimson Trace Laser Grips #60370 12/02/2009 12:02 AM
liv2hnt460 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Anyone have any experience with these laser grips. I was very interested in putting one on my S&W M&P .40, mostly impart by all of the good I have heard over the years about them. In doing some research, I came across a review that some guy had written about his CTC laser grips. He said because the laser is slightly angled toward the line of the barrel, the laser is really only accurate at an exact range. Any closer and especially any farther from that exact distance and your POI and POA do not coincide because of that laser angle. Does anyone know if this is true? I would like to use the grips for shooting to distances of 50 yards and possibly beyond, however if I'm going to need to site the grip in for one specific range and hold either left or right according to fluctuations in the range, I'm not interested in this product. I've got to believe that if the laser was perfectly parallel with the barrel, the most you would be off at any range would be no more than an inch. Any input would be appreciated.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Re: Crimson Trace Laser Grips [Re: liv2hnt460] #60384 12/02/2009 1:35 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The thing with laser grips is that they are below and to one side of the bore. With a scope or red dot sitting atop the gun and centered over the bore the bullet passes through the line of sight twice, going up and then down which extends the zero range allowing 3" above to 3" below line of sight. Any laser, grip or rail, that is mounted below the bore there will be only one convergence with line of sight. The laser will continue in it's straightline path while the bullet succumbs to the force of gravity. If the laser is left or right of the bore axis, as on a grip, once the bullet passes through the "zero" range it will continue it's flight relative to whichever side the laser grip is on. If you "zero" your laser @ 7-10 yards (combat distance) it will be several inches, and up to a foot or more, off @ 50 yards depending on the location of the emitter relative to the bore. At 100 yards you wouldn't be in the same zip code. My advice when using a laser, except for the units that mount on top of the gun, is to "zero" at the maximum range you expect to shoot and don't stretch it too much. The further out you "zero", the less relative deviation there will be beyond, but you must also check your midrange trajectory to make sure the bullet stays within the parameters you set for your use, say 3" for instance. I don't use lasers on any hunting handguns, for one it is illegal here and another is the range limitations, but for defensive guns I zero @ 25 yards. You will have a hard time in court if you pop a perp that far off, but I know the bullet will be within 2" relative to the dot to there and a little beyond.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Crimson Trace Laser Grips [Re: s4s4u] #60417 12/02/2009 3:11 AM
liv2hnt460 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks s4s4u. Let me ask you this. I'm shooting a .40 S&W out of a 4.25" bbl M&P .40. The loads I'm using (155gr XTP @ 1250 fps) are pretty flat shooting and, with a 25 yard zero, the bullet is never more than an inch above or below POA out to 50 yds. I do not intend on shooting this handgun much past that distance. Now, would I be correct in saying that, if shooting at distances ranging from 0 to 50 yards, my POI would never be more than an inch or so off (approximate distance from center of muzzle to center of laser lens) if I zero my elevation at 25 yards and zero my windage at 50 yards?

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Re: Crimson Trace Laser Grips [Re: liv2hnt460] #60422 12/02/2009 4:25 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If you are going to limit your shooting to within 50 yards I would try to zero at that distance and check your midrange trajectory to see if you are within your desired tolerance. Hopefully your grip laser has enough adjustment. I wouldn't think that you should rise above line of laser more than a couple of inches but that is easy enough to check. Because you are working on a downward plane from the go, the drop after zero is significant but you can establish where you will bottom out and go no further. The problem most folks have is that they zero their laser @ combat distance and geometry takes over when they move the target out further. If the bullet is already travelling downward 2" and left 1" at 7 yards in relation to POA, when you move that target downrange 7 times that distance (50 yards) the trajectory is going to be 14" lower and 7" lefter, before even taking into consideration the affects of gravity. If you zero at your max range you will know the bullet will be in the "zone" at least that far, and a little after.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod