Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Brass quality #61152 12/12/2009 1:46 PM
Rick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
After having problems with brass recently, I decided to buy new remington brass and see if that resolved the issues. When the brass arrived, I opened the bag and found 20 of the 50 cases damaged. There were in the factory sealed package. The damage ranged from case mouth dings up to oval shaped. Some looked like the mouth had been flattened and attempted to be straightened with pliers.
I contacted the vendor and he wanted me to re-size them. After some discussion he agreed to giving a refund. I contacted Remington, but have not received a reply. Has anyone else witnessed a decline in quality of new brass?

Re: New Brass quality [Re: Rick] #61153 12/12/2009 2:15 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have bought new brass with small dings and some of the case mouths were out of round and a few that were flattened pretty good. I was able to straighten the mouths, size, and shoot out the dings on he first firing. I never had one look like there were plires taken to it.

I did buy some Winchester brass for my BEE and it had deformed necks. They were round, but the brass was folded in one area and very thin. The brass came off the machine deformed. I put the 8 pieces back in the bag it came from and mailed it back to Winchester. In two weeks I had a new 100 count bag come in the mail.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: New Brass quality [Re: Rick] #61156 12/12/2009 4:41 PM
mikefrompa Offline
old hand
old hand
I ordered some 460 Hornady brass & I resized them all and when I checked out the case length on some of them I was surprised to find that about a dozen were undersize. Some were .002 short up to about .007 short. I could have got some Starline brass but I payed the premium price for the Hornady brass. In reality it probally won't make a dirrerence, but it's the principal that matters. I did buy some Starline brass & found that all the brass was long. That's cool because I would rather trim it down then start with undersize brass to begin with.

Re: New Brass quality [Re: mikefrompa] #61163 12/12/2009 9:06 PM
223AIfan Offline
All Remington and Winchester brass I have bought over the years had some out of round case mouths. Resize with expander ball in place and enjoy. No big deal.

BTW, I buy Lapua brass now when available
\:\)

Re: New Brass quality [Re: 223AIfan] #61166 12/12/2009 9:43 PM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand
I have yet to see any Rem. brass that wasn't dinged up pretty good. I think it may be from their anealing process. They might go just a little far. It will get better with work hardening.Like everyone says just resize and enjoy.

Re: New Brass quality [Re: rlb] #61175 12/13/2009 12:21 AM
Rick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
When I pay the price of Remington brass I do not expect to have to touch it other than priming.
I pay for quality I demand quality.
The brass went back today to the supplier for a refund.

Re: New Brass quality [Re: Rick] #61180 12/13/2009 2:12 AM
223AIfan Offline
 Originally Posted By: Rick
When I pay the price of Remington brass I do not expect to have to touch it other than priming.

Good luck with that. I FL size everything the fist load. After that, if I use then in one specific firearm I neck size only. I may be a little Type A, but I uniform, debur, chamfer...bottom line I go through many steps other than taking any brass from a bag/box and slamming a primer in, throwing a charge and seating a bullet.

Re: New Brass quality [Re: 223AIfan] #61186 12/13/2009 3:02 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 223AIfan

Good luck with that.

X2 ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: New Brass quality [Re: s4s4u] #61193 12/13/2009 3:47 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i always run new brass into the size die, if nothing else, to uniform the case necks. unless they were severely deformed i wouldn't send em back expecting perfectly round necks. no way brass in bulk is gonna ship n be perfectly round.

if they were pretty bad, i'd think rem would help ya out....surely.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: New Brass quality [Re: KYODE] #61381 12/15/2009 4:20 PM
J. E. Markel Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Does Anybody Fancy The Idea Of (Tediously)Weighing Each Individual Case From A New Lot And Trimming Each One To Match Grains Rather Than Legnth For Consistency?

Last edited by J. E. Markel; 12/15/2009 4:22 PM.
Re: New Brass quality [Re: J. E. Markel] #61382 12/15/2009 5:24 PM
TonyinKY Offline
 Originally Posted By: J. E. Markel
Does Anybody Fancy The Idea Of (Tediously)Weighing Each Individual Case From A New Lot And Trimming Each One To Match Grains Rather Than Legnth For Consistency?

I'd NEVER do that! Inconsistent bullet tension, crimp location, case capacity just for starters.

Re: New Brass quality [Re: KYODE] #61414 12/16/2009 1:22 AM
Rick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: KYODE

if they were pretty bad, i'd think rem would help ya out....surely.

The problem is the cases I originally had when sized and decapped would not properly hold the bullet once it was seated to the correct depth. I posted here and received a lot of great suggestions and tried resizing the cases without the expander ball to see if this worked. It did not so I ordered new brass to start again.
Remington was sent the photos showing case quality but have not responded as of yet. I will not buy there products any longer.

Re: New Brass quality [Re: Rick] #61418 12/16/2009 2:10 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: J. E. Markel

I have weighed cases before and sorted them accordingly. It ends up looking like a bell curve. You'll have a few on the heavy end and some on the lighter end of the range. Then a bunch clustered in the middle. I'll break the weight ranges up into even batches and mark them. Once one batch is worn out I'll go to the next batch.

BTW...I've never noticed any appreciable difference in groups using this method versus just shooting them as normally prepped from the bag.

Remington was sent the photos showing case quality but have not responded as of yet. I will not buy there products any longer.

Companies get so bombarded with e-mail anymore that they may have not even gotten to it. I'd send the brass back with a note describing the problem...then you'll likely get a response w/ new brass included.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: New Brass quality [Re: Dan B.] #61443 12/16/2009 10:12 PM
Rick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: Dan B.

Companies get so bombarded with e-mail anymore that they may have not even gotten to it. I'd send the brass back with a note describing the problem...then you'll likely get a response w/ new brass included.

I sent the brass back to the distributor and will get a refund from him on that. If Remington does not respond not much I can do there to force a response.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod