Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Recommendation for a Handgun Whitetail Hunt? #61616 12/21/2009 5:50 AM
NHSHTR Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this question, but....I'm looking to plan a first handgun hunt for whitetails next fall. I'm looking in North Carolina or New York state (I know, big difference!)

But since a number of you have experience, I was hoping I could get some recommendations for good lodges and guides reasonably priced. Not looking for a guaranteed hunt, but one where handgunning had a decent chance for success.

There'll be two of us, experienced rifle hunters, who have developed a taste for a new challenge. Thanks for any info.

Re: Recommendation for a Handgun Whitetail Hunt? [Re: NHSHTR] #61623 12/21/2009 12:54 PM
tyler.woodard04 Offline
addict
addict
I know NY will not honor any other states pistol permit, but others honor ours go figure

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: Recommendation for a Handgun Whitetail Hunt? [Re: tyler.woodard04] #61627 12/21/2009 2:02 PM
Rick Offline
addict
addict
I would recommend finding a state with a large herd that includes antlerless options. Make sure the state has a large amount of public hunting grounds. This will increase your chances of connecting with the handgun. The southern and eastern state do not require drawing a tag where as a lot of the western states required this or in the case of states such as MN, WI, IL and the like have such a short gun season and so many hunters, making a kill might not happen.
Good luck in the search.

Re: Recommendation for a Handgun Whitetail Hunt? [Re: tyler.woodard04] #61628 12/21/2009 2:04 PM
MikeStaten Offline
stranger
stranger
Non-residents are NOT legally allowed to hunt with a handgun in NY. Also, I believe NY has severe mandatory minimum sentencing when it comes to handgun violations so I'd check the laws carefully. PA is much more gun friendly than NY, may want to check that out.

Re: Recommendation for a Handgun Whitetail Hunt? [Re: MikeStaten] #61638 12/21/2009 3:46 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I know Texas wasn't one of your options mentioned, but if you could, it would be a great place to book your first hunt, especially if you're looking for a guided/semi-guided hunt. You know, Texas does have the largest whitetail herd in the world, you can hunt with a handgun, buy liscense over the counter and hunt after most northern and western seasons have closed. Just a thought.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Recommendation for a Handgun Whitetail Hunt? [Re: KRal] #61669 12/22/2009 2:17 AM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Texas would be an excellent choice! However, if you do select N.C., be sure to arrange to hunt in the eastern part of the state where the deer population is much higher than in the western mountains.

Re: Recommendation for a Handgun Whitetail Hunt? [Re: 500WE] #61671 12/22/2009 2:28 AM
muddydog Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Texas and not just because I live here. We got a bunch of game and some real bigs ones too! The cooking around here aint too bad either!

Re: Recommendation for a Handgun Whitetail Hunt? [Re: muddydog] #61673 12/22/2009 3:01 AM
BINGO Offline
addict
addict
Listen to these guys. NY stinks when it comes to fire arms. Thats why I'll retire some where else.

Re: Recommendation for a Handgun Whitetail Hunt? [Re: BINGO] #61688 12/22/2009 2:44 PM
NHSHTR Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for sharing the info.

Yeah, NY is definitely out! Although I rifle hunted up there (Adirondacks) one year and the deer were plentiful and big.

For NC, we can drive down there (from NH) and the northern tier has quite a few deer/sq mi, according to their state F&G deer population maps at least.

I love Texas. I've spent a lot of non-hunting time down there. I like the people, their attitude and their BBQ! But the expense for this year would be too high for me, Hopefully, next time.

I've talked to a few guides so far, and done some online research. But I'm still shooting for personal references from people who have been there, done that. Several guides have reference lists, so I can follow-up on those - as long as none of them are their relatives!

Re: Recommendation for a Handgun Whitetail Hunt? [Re: NHSHTR] #61714 12/23/2009 1:14 AM
muddydog Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
You may want to consider getting on a lease and have access for the entire year to hunt whenever you want. There are alot of open "spots" on alot of leases. The Texas lease system is unique and there are alot of good opportunities out there. Some ranchers would even help you out by keeping you a stand and feeder going. Just something to think about. I dont know what your budget is, but a year round lease will be cheaper than a guided hunt most of the time. Unguided day hunts are also availble too at reasonable prices. Here in Texas the opportunity to kill a big deer exists in just about any rural area of the state.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 36 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod