Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Holster help. #61635 12/21/2009 2:53 PM
cottonstalk Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I have been using a leather holster and it works fine.But recently I painted up my front sight and the leather is pulling the paint off every time I pull it out of the holster.Anyone got any ideas to prevent this or a holster that may be more paint friendly.The gun is a 45colt,new model blackhawk,4 5/8bl.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Holster help. [Re: cottonstalk] #61665 12/22/2009 12:50 AM
Renster of N.H. Offline
Cotton,

In the past I have used fingernail polish to thwart that very thing. Brush and clean up the sight real good. Leave no paint residue(bluing is ok). I use alcohol. Then 2 coats of the fingernail polish color of your choice. Let dry very well between coats. Then top off with 1 coat clear finger nail polish to seal the deal. Keep your coats VERY thin and be patient with the drying between. I've experimented with # of coats and found that less is more. Put too many layers and it all peels off in one thick layer. If you accidentally glop or otherwise make one of your coats too thick, take it all off and start over. Again, patience has paid off for me here. I have gotten a whole deer season out of one set up as described above, but I don't always unholster my revolver when I get home from the field unless it's been a damp or snowy day, or unless I won't be hunting for a few days after.
Give it a shot. I've had fair luck with it. Better than paint anyway.

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: Holster help. [Re: Renster of N.H.] #62088 12/30/2009 1:05 AM
BINGO Offline
addict
addict
I've never had that problem (yet). But for me I need to love the holster as much as the gun. "It works fine" just isn't good nuff. Try a better holster.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod