Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
traditions bp pistol #62342 01/03/2010 1:56 PM
lamina1982 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I remember seeing a traditions muzzleloader pistol that looked much like a contender or encore in the past-I think was on midsouth website but do not see any anylonger. I checked traditions website but nada. Did they stop making these? Does anyone have any experience with them?

Re: traditions bp pistol [Re: lamina1982] #62887 01/14/2010 2:42 AM
dasbear Offline
I bought one shortly after they came out its a very nice hunting hundgun for the money as I recall around 275.00 they call it the prohunter pistol in 50 cal. I also have the prohunter 50 cal rifle to match. Tried pyrodex and BP but it performed way better with T777. I was able to get 1300+ fps w/ Lee 260 real and around 1100fps with a lyman 395gr plains bullet. I dont use the brake and that 395 lyman is a serious handful with 80gr of T777 to say the least. 260 real prints 2+"@ 30 yds. I haven't shot a deer with yet but its on my list. The gun needed some mods though to be reliable #1 very unreliable cap ignition so I put on a musket nipple for 100% satisfaction. #2 sights are garbage so I installed a T/C Contender rear sight and all is good. Hope you can find one, in good shape its probably worth 175-220. The fit to finish is OK but then again all I wanted was a viable side arm for elk hunting and with the 395gr GPB its all of that to 75yds.

Re: traditions bp pistol [Re: dasbear] #62956 01/15/2010 12:48 AM
Renster of N.H. Offline
dasbear,

Thank-you very much for the review. I am considering aquiring a BP handgun before this year's BP season (1st week November). I have looked at a number of them both in hand, as well as online for those models that are not in stock. I have held the Prohunter and questioned the very things that you mentioned that you changed. The sights, nipple and actually the fit/finish kinda put that model on the "maybe, but only if I can't find something I like better" list. I am very picky about quality as well as practicality. I would like to put the Lyman in my hand and hope to find one around to look over. I also liked the TC Scout pistol and of course the TC Patriot when they were in production. Both very high quality pistols suited for hunting (though I likely would not consider the Patriot as much because of it's .45 caliber. Prefer 50 or above for BP) I have not made up my mind by a long shot. Lots 'o lookin', studying and holding to do yet.
But, I was very interested in your post, and appreciate the info. Keep it comin'!

\:\)

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: traditions bp pistol [Re: Renster of N.H.] #63016 01/15/2010 9:56 PM
dasbear Offline
I haven't looked for quite awhile but I know the Kahnke 50 cal pistol is very high quality but unsure as to whether its still in production. Knight had I believe one called the hawkeye (45)cal but powder capacity limited it to 45gr or so. My opinion is it was dead from the start. I feel a 12" barrel, 50 cal and 75 gr of powder is minimum for serious big game hunting. Does anyone know what legitement guns are still available today? or if any consistently show up in the used market even.

Re: traditions bp pistol [Re: lamina1982] #63019 01/15/2010 10:26 PM
KRal Online Content
Shootist
Online Content
Shootist
Here's one for sale on Gary Reeder's web site. It's a custom T/C Scout. He's asking $795. Reeder T/C Scout

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: traditions bp pistol [Re: dasbear] #63028 01/16/2010 1:39 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Knight had I believe one called the hawkeye (45)cal but powder capacity limited it to 45gr or so.

Don't know about that 45 grains thing, but this Hawkeye has not complained about the 100 grains of Shockey's it eats.

They are really great guns for the money.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: traditions bp pistol [Re: KRal] #63029 01/16/2010 1:40 AM
dasbear Offline
A sweet piece for sure.
s4s4u, I could of swore the limit was 45-50gr but I guess I was wrong. what kind of lead are you feeding it and what are the details/specs for loads? Have you hunted with it and what was the cost.

Last edited by dasbear; 01/16/2010 1:52 AM.
Re: traditions bp pistol [Re: dasbear] #63054 01/16/2010 2:37 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
KRal,

That is a handsome Scout to be sure! I see the custom finish work and the scope mount (which I'm not particularly interested in - prefer iron sight), but do you happen to know what else may make this "custom" Scout worth $795?

That's likely more than I'm willing to pay. I'd surely forgo the custom finish work for a straight Scout in very good condition for a much more affordable price tag.

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: traditions bp pistol [Re: Renster of N.H.] #63063 01/16/2010 8:38 PM
KRal Online Content
Shootist
Online Content
Shootist
Renester, this is Reeders posting on that gun.

This is a gun I bought for myself with plans on using it on one of our HHC hunts and for elk hunting. I couldn't seem to get drawn for elk here in Arizona (been trying for 12 years),so I figured I would try putting in for a black powder hunt as the chances of getting drawn are much higher. Then I found out that a black powder pistol is not legal for big game here in Arizona. So that shot that idea. I also found our pretty quick that I simply don't have the time for working up loads for the gun for the HHC hunts. So there is no sense letting it collect dust in the safe. The gun is based on one of the very rare Thompson Center Scout pistols in 50 caliber. The gun was as new when I got it. I went over the entire gun and re-worked the internals for a slick trigger pull, high polished and engraved it and installed scope bases. The gun had no sights when I got it but they can probably be scrounged up if you want them. This one is super sale priced at $795 (the engraving, Black Chromex finish, action job and scope base would cost more than that)

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: traditions bp pistol [Re: KRal] #63064 01/16/2010 10:03 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
Thanks KRal.

I wouldn't exactly agree that the Scout is "very rare". I have seen them around quite often up here in N.H. Most everybody up here has or still does own TC guns that would be considered classic and even "rare" in other parts of the country. I'm sure his is a very sweet piece, but a little out of my price range I'm afraid.
I sure do appreciate your lookin' into that for me though. I can always count on someone having a piece of the puzzle around here!
\:\)

Renster

Re: traditions bp pistol [Re: dasbear] #63103 01/17/2010 5:59 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: dasbear
A sweet piece for sure.
s4s4u, I could of swore the limit was 45-50gr but I guess I was wrong. what kind of lead are you feeding it and what are the details/specs for loads? Have you hunted with it and what was the cost.

I'm fairly sure that Knight made the HK94 in 50cal only. Someone may have converted one to 45 but not from factory that I am aware of. The manual for mine does say 70 grains, but it is the same basic gun as the rifles of the time and they were rated for 120 grains. I'm sure it was just lawyer-speak.

Anyway, two sticks or pellets behind a 250 grain .452" saboted slug will get your attention but is perfectly safe IMO. I have hunted with it but have yet to kill anything. I'm sure 70 grains will kill a deer just fine but......;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod