Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bringing handguns into South Africa #63046 01/16/2010 5:48 AM
Pasco Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
The outfitter's brochure says I can bring two guns of different calibers. I was planning on bringing a G2 45-70 and a SRH 480
Can I bring in additional barrels for the G2 ? Does a loose barrel count as a firearm?

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: Bringing handguns into South Africa [Re: Pasco] #63065 01/16/2010 11:53 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
It would count as 2 guns. Now you might get away with depending on who's working the desk at the police station. Consistency isn't their strong suit. Unless things have changed you will also need $200 Rand in cash per handgun when you leave South Africa to pay at the police station after you check in with the airline. Don't forget because it's a long hump back down to the exchange and you may miss your flight. Also, make damn sure that you don't have any ammo packed in the same case as your guns - this is no sh*#. I very strongly suggest you arrange for your firearms permits ahead of time through a service like Air2000 or Safari Concierge. It can save you hours and hours at customs and lots of other possible problems as well. Remember, while hunting handguns are fairly common here many people over there haven't a clue. Theoretically you are also supposed to be a member in good standing with a handgun hunting organization here in the US and have proof of that. You can print off a form from this site by going to the member services page. You'll also want to get your customs forms for valuables (your guns) filled out in this country before you leave that proves ownership when you arrive back in the US.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Bringing handguns into South Africa [Re: Gary] #63068 01/17/2010 1:01 AM
TJCMO Offline
I agree with Gary and STRONGLY suggest the use of Air200 or similar to secure your permits ahead of time. South Africa isn't near as lax with their gun laws, especially handguns as they were in the past. From what I understand, all handguns must be either single shots or revolvers, WITH SCOPES. ABSOLUTELY no semi autos will be allowed in the country. I personally witnessed a group of hunters try and get past the SAPS with Desert Eagles. The last I heard is they had the choice either to immediately turn around and leave the country with the guns, or surrender them to the South African Police. I didn't stick around to see what they decided. PM me if you need any adfditonal information, as I have hunted Africa 3 times, twice with handguns.

Re: Bringing handguns into South Africa [Re: TJCMO] #66733 03/18/2010 10:17 PM
Rick P Offline
journeyman
journeyman
We went to RSA last Sept and indeed used a service (PHASA.org) to get the gun permits done ahead of time. The good thing was that the folks helping us with the permit met us at the airport and took us to the front of the line to get the guns checked out by the police.

I took a Super Redhawk and T/C Encore and didn't have any problems.

Republicans believe everyday is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15th. -- Ronald Reagan
Re: Bringing handguns into South Africa [Re: Rick P] #66734 03/18/2010 10:45 PM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am getitng ready for my PG safari that starts on April 28. I am taking one handgun and one rifle. I was under the impression that I could only bring one hunting handgun into SA. Maybe wrong but I read that and was told that by the travel agent. Anywho, the advise about getting the gun permits ahead of time was also recommended to us. We went with the Afton Guest House in Jo'berg. Forwarded them all our info and they will aquire the permits and meet us at the airport to assist with the SAPS. My pistol is an XP 100 in a 338 WSM, shooting 200 gr Accu-Bonds should do the trick.

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
Re: Bringing handguns into South Africa [Re: 7STDUBBERU] #66735 03/18/2010 10:46 PM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Here it is...

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
Re: Bringing handguns into South Africa [Re: 7STDUBBERU] #66740 03/19/2010 12:39 AM
hunlee Offline
addict
addict
Hunlee inperssed with bolt action pistol yous has!!!!!!!!!!Nice nice nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Purty camo color aswell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybee yous get lucky an get a shoot at an ellaphont!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hunlee

Hunlee is friend to all,,,Is a lover not a fighter and has fathered many children!!!!
Re: Bringing handguns into South Africa [Re: hunlee] #66742 03/19/2010 1:31 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Technically you are only allowed one handgun but they don't always consider a single shot shooting a rifle caliber a handgun (go figure). If you have the permit ahead of time they usually just shrug and you pass on.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Bringing handguns into South Africa [Re: Gary] #66759 03/19/2010 12:21 PM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I really wanted to also bring my Contender in 309JDJ but did not want to push my luck. All the wording about "weapons of war" had me not wanting to explain why I needed two pistols....

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod