Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Encore vs. Revolver #63382 01/24/2010 2:23 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Hey guys. I'm lookin to make a purchase in the not so distant future. Been leaning towards the revolver cause I have been told they hold up a lot better than the encores. Is this really true? I know the Encore has much more versatility,
and that is something I REALLY like, but is it a gun for the long term -- are there any problems with it mechanicaly?

Thanks!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Raptortrapper] #63385 01/24/2010 2:50 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Encores are very well built although every one in a while, a semi-lemon may pop up. Same can be said for a revolver. The encore is probably the most versatile handgun platform there is....but as far as which one should get, well that's personal preference.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: KRal] #63388 01/24/2010 3:06 PM
joe sneed Offline
stranger
stranger
I have a Contender my brother-in-law purchased back in 1976. Sometimes it will not unlock after firing 410 buckshot. One e-mail to TC replied "lifetime warranty send it to us". The most accurate handgun I have ever shot. One big problem deciding which barrel to use. I like my revolvers for multiple shots.

Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Raptortrapper] #63389 01/24/2010 3:31 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
They are as different as night and day. The Encore is a stout shooting platform that offers multiple barrel interchangability, but is very heavy and bulky, with a fat grip and long reach to the trigger. If you are thinking along those lines I would take the G-2 over the Encore any day even though it can't shoot as high pressure chamberings as the Encore.

The revolver is the perfect intermediate (0-150 yard) distance hunting platform, IMO. They can be had in everything from mild to wild. You have quick follow-up shot(s). Grips are available for varying hand sizes. A revolver is relatively compact, although the Smith X-Frames get a bit bulky, and can be carried on the belt out of the way. Some models have incorporated scope mounting that allows quick attachment and removal of optics without losing iron sights.

My SRH in .480 Ruger is my go-to gun these days, although my Bisley 45LC is not far away. I still carry a Contender in a shoulder rig on occasion, or a Striker or XP on a single point sling, but there is always a wheelgun on my belt.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: s4s4u] #63390 01/24/2010 3:51 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
There is no shortage of "endurance" in Encores & they are extremely versatile.
That said, sad fact is I'm a revolver guy. I've had Encores & Contenders galore (and an XP & Wichita), & they all served me well. But I didn't love them. Liked them, but didn't love them.
I love revolvers. They make me tingley all over. My current favorites for the woods are me 8&3/8 model 29 (Had an Ultradot) which is being replaced as #1 gun by my 7.5" SRH in 480 that wears an Ultradot (off of the 29) for hunting, & a 4.5" 41mag Blackhawk for just a hiking/bowhunting backup gun.
Just a matter of personal preference, but I'm a revolver guy...

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Vance in AK.] #63394 01/24/2010 5:26 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
The revolver and the encore are both rugged platforms and if loaded correctly will out last the owner.

As far as comparing them thats like comparing apples to bananas. Both fruit but thats the end of it. Both can be customized to what you want to hunt and to fit your hand.

What do you want to hunt and how far will the average shots be?

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Tigger] #63396 01/24/2010 8:35 PM
Jeffx Offline
veteran
veteran
Like the rest of the Guys said, It's a personal preference. I am a fan of the T/C's... you can take a Trophy animal with the right size caliber and bullet just about as far as your ability. They will hold up over time if taken care of just as the revolvers will also. Shooting a revolver you do have the advantage of quick follower up shots, but in the real world of hunting and field conditions, a single shot will make you take the best shot for a quick kill on the first shot.
With that said, its a personal perference on which one you can shoot the best and most comfortable at the game animals and distant you plan to hunt.

Enjoy the world of Handgun Hunting!

ONE SHOT - ONE KILL

T/C HANDGUN HUNTER

Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Jeffx] #63398 01/24/2010 9:51 PM
leasongs Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have had An Encore in 30-06 since 1996 (if I remember correctly)and never had a problem with it.. Also as previously mentioned. They have a lifetime warranty. I love mine!

Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: leasongs] #63401 01/24/2010 10:15 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Did I mention I LOVE REVOLVERS???

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Vance in AK.] #63403 01/24/2010 11:55 PM
Okie Hunter Online Happy
old hand
Online Happy
old hand
Save your pennies and get both. I agree with s4s4u, the revolver for short range and the Encore for long range.

With God all things are possible. Matt.19:26
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Okie Hunter] #63404 01/25/2010 12:46 AM
TheDave Offline
Go with what feels good in your hand and you cant go wrong. I like my encore but it will never feel better than my wheel gun in hand. If you want to take anything with sharp teeth, claws or a nasty attitude then Id go with a revolver for the follow up shots. you will feel better knowing that their there. Buy both and don't feel guilty

Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Okie Hunter] #63411 01/25/2010 3:52 AM
muddydog Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I shot Contenders back in the 80's and loved them. They were more accurate than some rifles Ive owned. I now shoot only revolvers. I like to hunt and shoot close. I just like the way a revolver looks and feels. If you want to shoot a long ways get the TC. there aint very many wheelguns that compete with the accuracy at greater distances. I handgun hunt for the challenge, I guess that is why I choose a revolver. My SRH .44 serves double duty as a home defense gun in the off season too!

Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Okie Hunter] #63414 01/25/2010 7:58 AM
DwarvenChef Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have contenders, encores, and revolvers and all of them are set up for different things. Personally I'd look at what your looking to get out of the project. An Encore for thick woods and close range... may not be what your needing same in the reverse.

As stated... get both
\:\)

===========
T/C Addict
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: DwarvenChef] #63415 01/25/2010 11:56 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Have you shot both?

I was shocked Tig's answer wasn't... "BUY BOTH AND TELL US WHICH ONE YOU LIKE BETTER!"

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: TCTex.] #63428 01/25/2010 2:58 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: TCMan
Have you shot both?

I was shocked Tig's answer wasn't... "BUY BOTH AND TELL US WHICH ONE YOU LIKE BETTER!"

You don't know how close I was to typing that.
\:\)

I don't want to be a smart aleck all the time. Hehehehehe

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Raptortrapper] #63429 01/25/2010 3:07 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
What cartridges are you looking at and what distances are you hoping to get?

Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
Hey guys. I'm lookin to make a purchase in the not so distant future. Been leaning towards the revolver cause I have been told they hold up a lot better than the encores. Is this really true? I know the Encore has much more versatility,
and that is something I REALLY like, but is it a gun for the long term -- are there any problems with it mechanicaly?

Thanks!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: TCTex.] #63433 01/25/2010 3:54 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: TCMan
Have you shot both?

Only, 'both'? What about 'falling blocks' or 'bolt actions'?
;\)

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Russell] #63436 01/25/2010 5:12 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I agree with the above comments. I have contenders, encores & revolvers. Started my handgun hunting with contenders. They are very accurate, efficient, durable, and can provide additional range over revolver cartridges. However, I became somewhat bored with them because of their efficiency & range. I have progressed to using revolvers most of the time. Much bigger challenge for me in using them.

However, I recommend that a "new" handgun hunter starts with a single shot. I have seen the unsatisfactory results of a "new" handgunner trying to master a revolver under field conditions and excitement of the hunt. The single shots are much more forgiving.

Good luck.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: wtroper] #63438 01/25/2010 5:28 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: wtroper
I have seen the unsatisfactory results of a "new" handgunner trying to master a revolver under field conditions and excitement of the hunt.

I consider myself somewhat "seasoned" with many types of handguns and STILL go to the single shots b/c I don't feel 100% with bigger bore wheelguns. Though every game animal I've aimed at with a wheelgun was DRT when the hammer fell, I still don't feel 100% with them.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: wtroper] #63439 01/25/2010 5:47 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
a revolver was my first gun purchase. i learned to shoot with a revolver. i don't see it as a "progression" myself, but only as a relatively short range tool. i "progressed" to single shots BECAUSE of their accuracy, power, additional range, and the ability to reload/shoot many calibers for whatever my wants/needs be at the time.
which i choose would be determined solely by where/what/when....n how far most of my available shots will be. i seldom pack the revolver because areas i hunt allow shots of ranges beyond it's capability. if i hunt an area that is restricted by brush etc....i'd have no problem using it.

now dan.......i'm sure YOU can be 100% at revolver ranges.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: wtroper] #63440 01/25/2010 5:56 PM
geojanitor Offline
As stated before it really depends on what, where and how you hunt. I don't think you can go wrong with a quality single shot to start out with though. I too started with a Contender and keep one with me in my truck almost every day. One can become proficient very quickly with a single shot. Now I have a couple Contenders, an Encore, the requisite barrel addiction for both and a several revolvers and I hunt with them all throughout the year. A revolver is a blast to hunt with and will give one a great feeling of accomplishment once you become proficient with it; however, the learning curve was greater for me. What ever you decide on though you will have to practice MUCH MORE to become proficient with a handgun, weather it is a scoped Encore in a belted magnum or an open sighted Ruger single six. And speaking of practice, a 22LR in either format is a great way to get started handgunning!

Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: KYODE] #63441 01/25/2010 6:03 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: KYODE
now dan.......i'm sure YOU can be 100% at revolver ranges.

My personal issues with revolver hunting (and again...this is ME) is the limitations for field rests. When resting against a tree w/ a SSP, I like the place the barrel forearm on my left hand braced against the tree and rest the grip against the inside of my left arm. Try that with a revolver and you will get some serious gas cuts across the fingers!!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Dan B.] #63442 01/25/2010 6:17 PM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
I brought my .500 S&W revolver on my bison hunt as my primary weapon and took along my Encore .375-06 JDJ as a back-up. It was a back-up first and foremost just in case I could not get close enough. I had faith that my revolver would function well mechanically. When the fellow with the first shot took his bison with a .300 ultra mag at 260 yards I began to think that perhaps I had best take out the Encore. I have faith in that weapon out to 400 yards. I can attach a bipod to it if need be. My revolver was limited to a tripod. As luck would have it I did get my revolver shot. It was at 110 yards but it was well within my .500 capabilities. I really did not want to use the single shot. I personally got more satisfation from using the revolver. My guide was impressed that's for sure.

Recoil

Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Recoil] #63453 01/25/2010 11:38 PM
Mikewin Offline
addict
addict
Recoil,

one of these days - or years - I will purchase a S&W PC 10" .500 S&W revolver. It's only a matter of time and money (and Swedish gun legislation). What is your max distance with it?

As a European, I prefer my latte in my NRA coffee mug
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Recoil] #63456 01/26/2010 12:33 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
I can attach a bipod to it if need be.

I found that when I shot my T/C with a bipod mounted to the gun my POI changed from when it was without. I no longer use bipods. I find separate rests the better way to go, YMMV.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Mikewin] #63457 01/26/2010 12:36 AM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
My max distance is pretty much dependent upon how steady my rest is. I felt pretty steady with my hold on that bison. Accuracy is a limiting factor of course. The .500 will certainly hold to a 6" group off of the bench at 200 yards. Soooooo....I reckon if I felt my hold was steady I'd go to 200 yards. It still has lots of punch with that 440 grain bullet. It makes a BIG hole. Lastly a lot depends upon what I am shooting. It penetrated almost completely through that bison at 110 yards stopping at the hide at the far side. He was big and tough.

Recoil

Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Recoil] #63458 01/26/2010 12:44 AM
Mikewin Offline
addict
addict
Thanks. I would probably be uncomfortable shooting such a gun with a handgun scope beyond 200 yards anyway. But I confine my current long-barrelled .44mag to about 100m, or around 110 yards, so it would be nice to have something up to twice that distance. And the .500 is a great caliber...

As a European, I prefer my latte in my NRA coffee mug
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: Mikewin] #63461 01/26/2010 2:03 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Rod

You are on the money I found about a 2" POI delta with and without the Bipod.

In my mind if you are going to use a bipod leave it on the gun once it is zeroed. Shoot it up or down there is no differance.

Take it off and you have a problem

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: H2OBUG] #63463 01/26/2010 3:01 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
As you can tell, a lot of it falls on personal preference and what your hunting style is... Pick one, shoot it a LOT, and never look back. When you can afford the other one look at it as well.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Encore vs. Revolver [Re: KYODE] #63477 01/26/2010 12:10 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
hunt with what you enjoy! we can all justify what we hunt with and why. i like revolvers and thats what i see in my minds eye when handgun hunting in said, but i still say hunt with what gives you joy.

Everything before "but" is B.S.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod