Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: Dan B.] #64339 02/10/2010 1:47 PM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
I respect the fact that we all enjoy the challenge of getting our game one way or the other. I envy those that can get close to their game and get their critter with a revolver. I also admire those of us that can reach out and touch one at a distance. I have done both. Killing an unsuspecting animal in a meadow 500 yards or more away involves a different set of skills. Both methods have their worth. We all need to stick together that is the key.

Recoil

Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: Recoil] #64344 02/10/2010 3:01 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
short range....or long range(speaking of 200yrds+). i don't see either one as being easier than the other....in their own way. i do not see short range being a an exceptional "challenge" myself. in the wooded country, getting close to a deer is not hard at all if you know their travel routes. under the tree....could jump on their back....lol.

likewise, a longer range deer is not that hard with a ss handgun if you know your trajectories etc, and are well practiced in shooting.

i guess if you are stalking/still hunting....any method will be a "challenge"! ....and you must just love being out there....cause you ain't gonna kill as many!....and ya might wish for a lil luck to get a true trophy animal.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: KYODE] #64363 02/10/2010 9:28 PM
minnesotahunter Offline
old hand
old hand
Who cares if its long or short range, as long as your hunting! I may be backwards, but I have been bowhunting for years, but now want to get into long range hunting as well. I think it would be sooo cool to knock something over from a looooong way off.

Chris

Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: minnesotahunter] #64364 02/10/2010 9:50 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: minnesotahunter
Who cares if its long or short range, as long as your hunting! I may be backwards, but I have been bowhunting for years, but now want to get into long range hunting as well. I think it would be sooo cool to knock something over from a looooong way off.

Chris

Chris......I did the same thing for years. I archery hunted exclusively for years. Then got into handguns and like tipping overgame at LR now!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: Dan B.] #64378 02/11/2010 1:50 AM
Fowler Offline
Ok Ok I didn't mean that the way it sounded. For me handgun hunting is trying to get into 50 to 75 yards, not shooting 500 yards at game. Yes some of you can and do shoot big game at these long ranges with your bolt action/Encore handguns, and in skilled hands I have nothing against that.

I have killed game at 450+ yards with 300 mag rifles for me it lost its thrill, it became not what I was looking for in hunting. To me killing game at long range is more about shooting. Like I said it no longer floats my boat. Revolvers took that option away when the situation arose that I knew I could kill a elk in a given situation but didn't have the courage to sneak in closer. Now I have to get closer and it has made all the difference for me personnally.

Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: Fowler] #64379 02/11/2010 2:03 AM
BINGO Offline
addict
addict
Close & long range have different meanings depending on the tool you use AND your skill level. Not directed at present company, but the most accurate load, XP wiz-bang in a 40 watt range won't help w/out a little skill derived from practice. You guys already know this though. I like revolvers more because I always wanted to be cowboy. LOL

Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: BINGO] #64381 02/11/2010 2:23 AM
Fowler Offline
Why is it everything I seem to post over here comes off wrong and I sound like a ass? Those who know me know I am not really that way...

I promise I am not a troll

Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: Fowler] #64386 02/11/2010 3:18 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: Fowler
Why is it everything I seem to post over here comes off wrong and I sound like a ass? Those who know me know I am not really that way...

I promise I am not a troll

Aw shucks, you don't sound THAT bad
;\)

We've all sounded just as bad at times.
As for the troll part,... Well it's hard to know without seeing a pic

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: Vance in AK.] #64387 02/11/2010 3:27 AM
Fowler Offline
 Originally Posted By: Vance in AK.

As for the troll part,... Well it's hard to know without seeing a pic

That probably wouldn't help my case...

Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: Fowler] #64389 02/11/2010 3:40 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: Fowler
Ok Ok I didn't mean that the way it sounded. For me handgun hunting is trying to get into 50 to 75 yards, not shooting 500 yards at game. Yes some of you can and do shoot big game at these long ranges with your bolt action/Encore handguns, and in skilled hands I have nothing against that.

I have killed game at 450+ yards with 300 mag rifles for me it lost its thrill, it became not what I was looking for in hunting. To me killing game at long range is more about shooting. Like I said it no longer floats my boat. Revolvers took that option away when the situation arose that I knew I could kill a elk in a given situation but didn't have the courage to sneak in closer. Now I have to get closer and it has made all the difference for me personally.

It is hard to communicate well and easy to be misunderstood on the web-It's okay.
Throughout the year I will hunt extremely close up to way far out. I do a little bit of all of it, for the diversity and fun.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: Ernie] #64394 02/11/2010 4:30 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
OK I will drive over and smack him for all of us.

He really is an OK guy...he reloads .44 magnum for me on my Dillon Square Deal B press that I loaned him!!! And he casts me bullets...
with some of the stuff I loaned him. LOL

Fowler, you are OK! (I won't tell anybody but he actually said that he would use my Encore to smack an elk while I filmed it for my next video "if he couldn't get close enough for the revolver")!!!

\:\)

Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: Gregg Richter] #64400 02/11/2010 7:51 AM
DwarvenChef Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
So busted...

===========
T/C Addict
Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: DwarvenChef] #64401 02/11/2010 7:54 AM
DwarvenChef Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Fowler, I understand what your talking about
Till the really big boys, 454 to 500s&w, 44mag was our big round. When I got into handgun hunting seriously I was stationed in Fairbanks AK, and the 44mag made me nervous when facing Moose. Hence the 375JDJ with the 44m back up

===========
T/C Addict
Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: DwarvenChef] #64495 02/12/2010 4:33 PM
Mitch1352 Offline
stranger
stranger
I carry and use both. I have some Ruger Bisleys tuned and customized by some great 'smiths (Stroh, Bowen and Clements and gripped by Kolar and Fishpaw) and 2 T/C's by Bellm and Shot's (ok ok, end of unsolicited endorsement and commercial). They are just toooo cool not to hunt with.
Now for pot-stirring time: since I started handgun hunting, I kinda look at rifles as "deer sniping", too. I have my first few with rifles, but think that I have progressed to the next level. Not chumping anyone who rifle-hunts...at least they are in the woods, so they have just as much of a voice. Besides, pistol hunters are still looked at as the "lunatic fringe" when it comes to big game hunting. I, for one, am damn glad to be numbered in these ranks!!! It is just a different skill set.
Besides, I relish the looks that I get from the guys in my club when I drag in a deer shot with my short gun...

Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway.
Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: Mitch1352] #64833 02/19/2010 5:10 AM
shortrange Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I have not gone away but jsut been lerking and watching and not posting: Thank you all for over 50 responses and I belive all have learned from the others here ...it is a Real Good Mix of people here!

Re: Revolver or Single Shot? [Re: shortrange] #64836 02/19/2010 5:46 AM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand
I'm still experimenting. I have had several wheel guns and one other bolt gun and am working on another bolt gun. One of these days I will decide that I need them all and will hunt with any of them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 53 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod